• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Phil Nevin to a one year deal

mmc

3 hours ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

Like Arte did?

I get that there is this tendency to bring in your own people in modern-day sports, but I have yet to see evidence proving that this is universal.

What is the evidence (not to be confused with the conventional wisdom among posters here) that if the Angels hired a manager who actually led them to a promising year in 2023 that— with 100% certainty— the new ownership would then want to hire their own person? 

Who is to say Phil Nevin is not the guy to a promising 2023

On 10/6/2022 at 2:04 PM, jsnpritchett said:

LOL.  Calling me a shill for ownership is truly hilarious.  Saying that I completely understand why this decision was made from a business standpoint is in no way "shilling" for ownership.  It's just facing reality.  I wish the Angels had a better owner who was more interested in investing in things that actually contribute to long-term success rather than putting window-dressing on the team year after year in an attempt to rope in the low-hanging fruit who'll come out to the stadium because of "names" on the roster.  And Moreno selling the team is (hopefully...) a huge step in that direction. The stop-gap deal for Nevin is a necessary part of the process.  Again, I'm honestly stunned that even the most rabid fan can't understand that.  Acknowledging that doesn't mean someone is a shill.  Grow up.

Sorry, but when you refused to engage with the substance of what I said after you spouted a what's-good-for-ownership position, that is how it came off.

I'm glad we agree on Arte.

Tell me what the evidence is again that "the stop-gap deal for Nevin is a necessary part of the process?" [my emphasis added]

1 hour ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

Sorry, but when you refused to engage with the substance of what I said after you spouted a what's-good-for-ownership position, that is how it came off.

I'm glad we agree on Arte.

Tell me what the evidence is again that "the stop-gap deal for Nevin is a necessary part of the process?" [my emphasis added]

I've already explained it multiple times. I can separate what I might want as a fan from the realities of how things operate from a business standpoint.  The team is being sold.  It's in Moreno's best interest to keep costs and long-term commitments to a reasonable level.

Signing Nevin to a one-year deal gives maximum flexibility at the managerial level.  If the team does well next year and the new owners think Nevin played a big role in the success, great, they can extend him.  If they have a bad year or they just want to bring in their own manager for whatever reason, then having Nevin on a one-year deal obviously makes that easier to do,  too. 

I'm not suggesting that a manager's deal of any sort would be as much of a potential albatross as an Upton-type deal.  I'm just saying that there is zero incentive from either Moreno's standpoint or a potential new manager's to sign a multi-year deal,  given the uncertainty of the franchise moving forward. 

Also finding an owner with a track record of success that would take the job with the level of uncertainty that exists with the impending sale simply wasn’t going to happen. It’s ok to acknowledge that as a fan regardless of how you feel about Arte. 

On 10/8/2022 at 1:43 AM, Angels 1961 said:

2023 new season fresh start healthy Rendon.  Big breakout season for Adell, Trout plays full season. New rules big help too halos. Nevin manager of the year.

Because... Adell has shown that he's just one hot streak (just one) away from superstardom? And because Rendon's fresh, healthy starts went so well in 2021 and 2022 (and again at the end of 2022)? Because Mike Trout's condition is not degenerative or chronic, and he's had such a great track record of late in being able to play a full baseball season? Got it.

On 10/8/2022 at 3:03 AM, jsnpritchett said:

I've already explained it multiple times. I can separate what I might want as a fan from the realities of how things operate from a business standpoint.  The team is being sold.  It's in Moreno's best interest to keep costs and long-term commitments to a reasonable level.

Signing Nevin to a one-year deal gives maximum flexibility at the managerial level.  If the team does well next year and the new owners think Nevin played a big role in the success, great, they can extend him.  If they have a bad year or they just want to bring in their own manager for whatever reason, then having Nevin on a one-year deal obviously makes that easier to do,  too. 

I'm not suggesting that a manager's deal of any sort would be as much of a potential albatross as an Upton-type deal.  I'm just saying that there is zero incentive from either Moreno's standpoint or a potential new manager's to sign a multi-year deal,  given the uncertainty of the franchise moving forward. 

What you're saying is not unreasonable, if you're an owner who wants to maximize profit from a sale. But I'm not that owner, and neither is anybody on this board (as far as I know). 

I do quibble with the idea of a cost-controlled multi-year manager's contract tying a team's hands, in the future-- other than the (relatively negligible) amount of money owed, it's not worth much more than the paper it's printed on, much less a long-term commitment. I think accepting that lets the team off the hook.

More importantly though, I think Arte needs to hear it from Angel fans-- including on message boards (which he supposedly has had somebody monitor, at least in the past)-- that they won't accept him mailing in the 2023 season in October of 2022, and if he does, he's going to hear about it from the fans.

7 hours ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

What you're saying is not unreasonable, if you're an owner who wants to maximize profit from a sale. But I'm not that owner, and neither is anybody on this board (as far as I know). 

I do quibble with the idea of a cost-controlled multi-year manager's contract tying a team's hands, in the future-- other than the (relatively negligible) amount of money owed, it's not worth much more than the paper it's printed on, much less a long-term commitment. I think accepting that lets the team off the hook.

More importantly though, I think Arte needs to hear it from Angel fans-- including on message boards (which he supposedly has had somebody monitor, at least in the past)-- that they won't accept him mailing in the 2023 season in October of 2022, and if he does, he's going to hear about it from the fans.

Arte has to hear it from the fans?  That’s adorable. 

When you send Arte your well thought out letter complaining about how he’s wronged you can you send us the picture of it?  
TIA. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:10 AM, Stradling said:

Arte has to hear it from the fans?  That’s adorable. 

When you send Arte your well thought out letter complaining about how he’s wronged you can you send us the picture of it?  
TIA. 

Clearly, you've never been to a sporting event in NY or Philly.

But sure, go ahead and make snappy comebacks to me while bleating for the owner.

30 minutes ago, NYC Angel Fan said:

Clearly, you've never been to a sporting event in NY or Philly.

But sure, go ahead and make snappy comebacks to me while bleating for the owner.

Clearly you don’t know where I’ve been or where I’ve watched games. 

Don't forget to attach that letter you wrote him and any replies he sent you.  

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

What does NY and Phillie, two of the most obnoxious fan bases in sports, have anything to do with the rest of the civilized world? 

Well fans hold owners accountable back there which is evident by the Mets playing the Yankees in the World Series every year.