• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal on the Angels next managerial search

mmc

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

The word "if" denotes uncertainty.  Hence a "questionable" result.

I used “if” because I don’t talk to the players, let alone talk to them off the record.

And like @AngelStew43 mentioned, they’ve been beating up on bad teams the last month.

16 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Swordsman, I don't want to burst your Nevin-friendly bubble, but we have been playing the A's and the Rangers.  The teams with better offenses than what we've been putting out there are still beating us. 

In the past month or so the Angels have swept the Blue Jays, Took 2 of 3 from the Yankees, and 3 of 4 from the Marineers.  All playoff teams, but you already know that before you 1/2 reported the news.

Just now, Swordsman78 said:

In the past month or so the Angels have swept the Blue Jays, Too 2 of 3 from the Yankees, and 3of 4 from the Rangers.  All playoff teams, but you already know that before you 1/2 reported the news.

The Rangers are a playoff team?

In the end, I think the key aspect will be, can Nevin work synergistically with Minasian and the FO?  The reason I mentioned Montgomery is because he worked in the FO for a year prior to becoming bench coach, so he rather likely can work well with the FO.

These days, it seems most FOs want someone who can be an extension of their vision.  Maddon clearly did not agree with Minasian's views.  Whether Nevin is hired or not likely will be determined by how well he can work with the FO.  

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

Mike Trout: “Phil’s been doing a great job”

"IF"?  There is no "if".

Do you really think Mike Trout is going to say “Phil’s been doing a bad job” publicly?

I’m not saying Trout’s lying, because he probably isn’t, but he’s not gonna throw his manager under the bus publicly. I doubt any player would, but certainly not Mike Trout.

The Los Angeles Angels would love to have Bochy, too, but with the franchise up for sale, it’s possible they stick with interim Phil Nevin (44-57) one more season. If not, former Rockies manager Walt Weiss, now Atlanta’s bench coach, could be the favorite. Former Blue Jays manager John Gibbons, who was with GM Perry Minasian in Toronto, should also be under consideration. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/10/02/tony-la-russa-expected-announce-retirement-white-sox-manager/8153641001/

Also, along with the all of the great information is this piece...I found this snippet as well regarding the Mariners which would be too funny if it happens...

It would be awfully cruel for the Seattle Mariners to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2001, but still not play a game in front of their own fans. The Mariners have to win the top wild-card berth ahead of the Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays to host the best-of-three first-round series. If they don’t win the first round, the Mariners’ fans won’t see them again until March 30, 2023, for opening day. 

Posted yesterday at 01:19 PM

On 10/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, Swordsman78 said:

Marineers.  Fixed the typo, but you most likely can view the schedule and results as well as anyone else. 

mistake, not a typo (like Marineers for example) 

Sorry Lou...I couldn't resist...

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Do you really think Mike Trout is going to say “Phil’s been doing a bad job” publicly?

I’m not saying Trout’s lying, because he probably isn’t, but he’s not gonna throw his manager under the bus publicly. I doubt any player would, but certainly not Mike Trout.

No.  But I also don't think Mike would go out of his way to say Nevin was doing a "great job" if Mike didn't truly feel that he was in fact doing a great job.

11 minutes ago, khouse said:

Posted yesterday at 01:19 PM

On 10/1/2022 at 1:17 PM, Swordsman78 said:

Marineers.  Fixed the typo, but you most likely can view the schedule and results as well as anyone else. 

mistake, not a typo (like Marineers for example) 

Sorry Lou...I couldn't resist...

They don't deserve that much respect.  Strongly dislike that team and city.  Please don't bring them up on this forum unless the Angles are beating them.

46 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

No.  But I also don't think Mike would go out of his way to say Nevin was doing a "great job" if Mike didn't truly feel that he was in fact doing a great job.

I don’t think he “went out of his way” to say that.

I think a reporter asked him a question about Nevin, and he answered it.

1 hour ago, khouse said:

The Los Angeles Angels would love to have Bochy, too, but with the franchise up for sale, it’s possible they stick with interim Phil Nevin (44-57) one more season. If not, former Rockies manager Walt Weiss, now Atlanta’s bench coach, could be the favorite. Former Blue Jays manager John Gibbons, who was with GM Perry Minasian in Toronto, should also be under consideration. 

It’s Nightengale, so I don’t know how much truth there is here.

Who exactly would love to have Bochy? Arte? Perry?

Everyone here knows that Nevin may or may not stay, and that it’s complicated by the status of ownership.

Walt Weiss “could be the favorite.” OK. He also could not be the favorite.

Tying the Angels to Weiss and Gibbons is a connection anyone can come up with because they worked with Perry.

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Trout was sure candid about Maddon.  Proof that Trout is capable of being objective with public comments.

"Everybody's got to be held accountable.. myself included" - Los Angeles Angels superstar Mike Trout taking accountability for Joe Maddon’s termination 

12 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Trout was sure candid about Maddon.  Proof that Trout is capable of being objective with public comments.

"Everybody's got to be held accountable.. myself included" - Los Angeles Angels superstar Mike Trout taking accountability for Joe Maddon’s termination 

Pretty sure he was talking about the players, not the manager.

This obsession with who the manager is next year reminds me of someone starting a new business that spends all day every day working on the logo for their business cards.

The team is transitioning to a new owner, needs some upgrades at some key positions, and is faced with trying to lock down Babe Ruth.

The manager isn’t going to matter, at all, if the big things are not taken care of.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

The bit about Phil "taking care of the players", is what makes me believe its more than casual lip service.  Mike Trout is always vague, he tends to speak in generalities, he doesn't typically focus on one thing. That seemed a little more nuanced than the usual Mike Trout non answer, answers.

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

This obsession with who the manager is next year reminds me of someone starting a new business that spends all day every day working on the logo for their business cards.

The team is transitioning to a new owner, needs some upgrades at some key positions, and is faced with trying to lock down Babe Ruth.

The manager isn’t going to matter, at all, if the big things are not taken care of.

Pretty sure every single one of those things will be talked about, we will likely see someone invariably bring up a uniform change too, like always.  Not like AW.com focusing on more pertinent matters will lead to a faster resolution of such things. Fans are gonna fan and I'm sure all kinds of inane topics will arise.