• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ken Rosenthal on the Angels next managerial search

mmc

Los Angeles Angels

The pending sale of the club complicates things. Owner Arte Moreno might not allow GM Perry Minasian to sign a new manager to a multi-year contract, a scenario that could lead to interim manager Phil Nevin returning on a short-term deal.

The Angels have performed worse under Nevin (43-57) than they did under Joe Maddon (27-29), but that is more a reflection of the team’s roster than Nevin’s managing. While Nevin, 51, occasionally loses his cool — he has been ejected four times and was suspended 10 games when the league deemed the Angels threw at the Mariners intentionally with warnings in place — he also brings a certain presence. Players respect him, and he has demonstrated a good feel for running a game, particularly with his bullpen management. Since the trade of Raisel Iglesias at the deadline, four different Angels relievers have earned saves.

Nevin, who managed more than 1,000 games in the minors, will remain a candidate for the permanent position even if the Angels conduct a full search. Minasian, from his tenure as the Braves’ assistant GM, is well-acquainted with Weiss and Washington, both of whom managed in the majors previously. The same goes for John Gibbons, who led the Blue Jays to the 2015 American League Championship Series during Minasian’s time in Toronto.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Basically no new insight.

Any of us on this website could provide that same analysis, and many of us already have provided similar analysis.

You’d hope/expect that we get some concrete news from the Angels within the next week.

I can say with almost certainty that the Angels might have a new manager or possibly keep the current manager. Dont quote me on that...but my gut tells me that one of those 2 things and possibly a 3rd thing could potentially happen. 

It is really simply. Extend him for a year, to see how things go over a full season. He deserves a chance and, more so, there's no rush - especially if a sale isn't finalized. New ownership will bring in whoever they bring in, so there's no way to predict that until we know who that is. Not sure what else there is to say about the topic.

Minasian is working to keep his job.....it doesn't make much sense that he would simply have a placeholder manager.  I expect Minasian to push all of his chips in during this off-season.  Unless Arte says no, I expect him to to make some aggressive moves because there is no reason to wait for new ownership with an Ohtani and Trout window.

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Minasian is working to keep his job.....it doesn't make much sense that he would simply have a placeholder manager.  I expect Minasian to push all of his chips in during this off-season.  Unless Arte says no, I expect him to to make some aggressive moves because there is no reason to wait for new ownership with an Ohtani and Trout window.

That’s the thing… Arte may very well say no.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I am expecting either the same payroll or a modest increase to remain "competitive" during the sale period.  I can't imagine anyone or group interested in purchasing the Angels interested in having Arte limiting the teams competitiveness.  I think maintaining status quo is the best business plan for Arte and probably the most inviting option for prospective buyers.  Of course, I've never spent a couple of billion dollars so I actually have no idea about any of this.

I just want to watch the Angels play in the playoffs.

45 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am expecting either the same payroll or a modest increase to remain "competitive" during the sale period.  I can't imagine anyone or group interested in purchasing the Angels interested in having Arte limiting the teams competitiveness.  I think maintaining status quo is the best business plan for Arte and probably the most inviting option for prospective buyers.  Of course, I've never spent a couple of billion dollars so I actually have no idea about any of this.

I just want to watch the Angels play in the playoffs.

I was referring to the manager for 2023, not payroll.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

I'm expecting Minasian to hire Montgomery as the next manager.  I don't think Arte would nix that, in that Montgomery would likely not earn much at all compared to his other manager peers.  I think Arte would only nix an expensive manager hiring, which I don't think Minasian would do either way.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I'm expecting Minasian to hire Montgomery as the next manager.  I don't think Arte would nix that, in that Montgomery would likely not earn much at all compared to his other manager peers.  I think Arte would only nix an expensive manager hiring, which I don't think Minasian would do either way.

Same, but I could also see them stick with Nevin.

I’d say:

Montgomery: 40%

Nevin: 40%

Someone Else: 20%

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Not that my opinion matters.....

Pass on Montomery, I'd rather take my chances with Nevin.

Given the roster he's had, he's done a good job.

7 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

There is ZERO reason to put Montgomery in over Nevin.

Anyone who can't see that the Angels are now performing close to their max under Nevin, isn't tying very hard.

I'm sure that Minasian has his hand-picked manager that he wants.  I am not saying that Nevin is doing a poor job, just moreso that it seems this move was telegraphed quite some time ago.

I think the players’ opinion of Nevin will be the deciding factor in whether it’s Nevin or Montgomery as the Angels manager in 2023.

If the players like Nevin, trust him, and have bought into him, then I think they just roll with Nevin as manager next season.

If those elements aren’t there, I think they pivot to Montgomery.

33 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the players’ opinion of Nevin will be the deciding factor in whether it’s Nevin or Montgomery as the Angels manager in 2023.

If the players like Nevin, trust him, and have bought into him, then I think they just roll with Nevin as manager next season.

If those elements aren’t there, I think they pivot to Montgomery.

This would have been a better question to ask in August.  At that point is was a legit question.

Now its a rhetorical one.

Why would you even put that question out there now?  We know you are paying attention?  Look at the results recently. 

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'm sure that Minasian has his hand-picked manager that he wants.  I am not saying that Nevin is doing a poor job, just moreso that it seems this move was telegraphed quite some time ago.

Swordsman, I don't want to burst your Nevin-friendly bubble, but we have been playing the A's and the Rangers.  The teams with better offenses than what we've been putting out there are still beating us. 

10 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

This would have been a better question to ask in August.  At that point is was a legit question.

Now its a rhetorical one.

Why would you even put that question out there now?  We know you are paying attention?  Look at the results recently. 

He didn't ask a question.

4 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Swordsman, I don't want to burst your Nevin-friendly bubble, but we have been playing the A's and the Rangers.  The teams with better offenses than what we've been putting out there are still beating us. 

My comment was deeper than W/L records against the A's and Rangers.  It was about the overall team vibe and the development of the newer guys.

Also there is no "bubble".  Just calling balls and strikes.