• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Long Term are Angels better with

Hubs

Which are the Angels Better Off With?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• Brandon Marsh, 2 months of Noah Syndergaard
    • Mickey Moniak, Logan O' Hoppe, Jadiel Sanchez

After seeing Moniak perform pretty well, including a 2-run HR just now, I wonder what will be better long term?

Marsh has hit .264/.284/.417 with the Phillies for a .701 OPS, and Syndergaard is 4-1 in 7 starts with a 4.61 ERA for the Phillies.

Moniak is hitting .219/.242/.500 with the Angels for a .742 OPS, and O'Hoppe is .298/.478/.679 with a 1.157 OPS for Rocket City incl 10 HR in 115 PA. Sanchez is hitting .309/.381/.400 for a .781 OPS for Inland Empire.

Moniak did get hurt, but so did Marsh. Both have high ceilings, though I'd imagine Marsh has a higher floor. Both are 24. Marsh being slightly older.

Which team will get the better end of this trade (or group of trades)?

The only way that the combo of these trades ISN'T a complete win for the Angels is if Marsh turns into a borderline superstar+ and all three of the guys the Angels got are complete flameouts.  I don't give a shit about Syndergaard's performance after he left the Angels--even if it was better than it is now.  The Angels didn't need him for the rest of this year and obviously trading him saved a few million dollars. 

First of all, it is really Marsh vs. those three players. Two months of Syndergaard is not "long-term," and would have no impact beyond this year except maybe a tiny edge on signing him to an extension - if that is even desirable (I would say, no).

Jadiel Sanchez...no comment on him. But he's a fringe prospect at this point - some upside, but chances are he won't amount to much.

So, it really comes down to Marsh vs. Moniak/O'Hoppe. I'd rather have Marsh than Moniak, but it also wouldn't surprise me if they end up being roughly equal players. At this point, I'd take O'Hoppe alone over Marsh, so the answer is pretty clear.

I think they’re better off with O’Hoppe/Moniak/Sanchez, but that’s entirely based on O’Hoppe.

Moniak and Sanchez are nice lottery tickets, but addressing a weakness with a solid two-way catcher (who has looked even better since the Angels acquired him) in exchange for an outfielder who was misplaced due to Trout was a good piece of business.

Snydergaard was gone after the season so his performance or long term value for an Angels team that wasn't going to make the playoffs is irrelevant.  Hopefully the change of scenery for Moniak is what he needed.  If O'Hoppe ever makes the majors and especially if he sticks as a C who can hit then that's an absolute win for the Angels.  As jsnpritchett said the only way the Angels really lose is if Marsh becomes a star or better and Moniak/O'Hoppe/Sanchez are non factors.

two different trades for two different reasons.   to me you have to look at them independently.  

Thor should have been traded no matter what.   Sanchez was a throw in.  So it boils down to whether using your org capital for a major league OFer to help now was better than trying to get a younger guy, even if in rookie ball, that could turn into something big.  We'll never know the answer but if Moniak becomes a solid 4th OFer who can also potentially platoon then I guess I'm ok with it although I'd still have preferred the other option.  Now if Moniak become an everyday guy then that makes a big difference.  

Worst case for O'hoppe is a backup who's gonna play for 20 years because of his defense.  Marsh could flame out so I actually think Ohoppe has the higher floor.  And they both have similar ceilings.  Premium talent at catcher is much more difficult to find and cultivate than an OFer.  

As special of a player as Marsh might/could be, the same is true/could be said about O'Hoppe. Which, makes the trade a wash in that respect. But then when you add in the difficulty (as other posters stated above)  of finding/developing a catching propsect with the offensive potential like O'Hoppe, makes it even more favorable for the Angels. Then considering the acquisition of a gritty/intense/Erstad-like prospect in Moniak & a raw/potential upside prospect like Sanchez...I think makes it an overall win for the Angels.

I think the core of this really is, who will be a better MLB player overall - Marsh or O'Hoppe?

I like Marsh and think he will be a solid player, but if O'Hoppe ends up being a solid catcher, that's likely what we need more.  Solid catchers are not easy to find.  This team already has a premiere player in CF, which would have impacted Marsh's value.

We'll see how it pans out, but I think Perry made a really solid trade, given that we had no catcher of note in our minors, with the exception of Quero in IE (who is likely over 3 years away).  O'Hoppe could be a contributor by the end of 2023.

Moniak and Sanchez were flyers that we got for Syndergaard.  Moniak seems like he could carve out a niche as a good 4th OFer, and Sanchez is largely unknown.

I want to think Marsh will end up being very good... but mainly because the board aaid he would.

OHoppe is now that guy... so I hope.

But assuming they turn out the same, or close enough... I'll take the catcher every time.

We used to bitch on here we had no 3B since Glaus.

We haven't had a Catcher since Iannetta.