• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Trading Trout Realistic?

If you could trade Trout to the NYY, NYM or PHI, would you do it and what would it take?

Assume those teams cover 80% of the salary and send back prospects. Then you build around Ohtani and have some payroll flexibility. 

Or is 9 wins too much to cover? 

He's not a 9 win player anymore. He may not even be a 7 win player, at least on a consistent basis. He's almost 31, and owed about $300M through 2030.

Now presumably Trout can still put up a 7 WAR season - maybe several more. And maybe he squeezes out one more 8-9 WAR season, if the stars align just right. But if he's struggling this much to stay healthy at 30, what will it look like at 35?

My point is, no team is likely to offer what the Angels would even begin to consider would be fair value for their franchise's greatest player ever.

Trout is going to be an Angel for life. We sink or swim with him, for better or worse. 

It's really not. Only on the Internet would some silly notion like this possibly gain any traction. 

Never once has it crossed my mind that the Angels should trade Trout. He chose the Angels and this is how you repay him? Try to trade him? LOL.

I know I sound kind of child-like but how do you call yourself a fan of a team but still float around trading the best player who has brought so much joy to this fanbase for years.

Oh, I know. Let's kick him to the curb because all we care about is the bottom line here.

And how about when Trout wins a championship with the team the Angels trade him to and the Angels keep on sucking... yeah, try swallowing that pill.

No that is a terrible way of running and organization and I know Arte Moreno has a big heart who has a lot more sense then to do something so stupid as to let the Front Office trade MIKE TROUT. WTF is up with you people?

Also, while we are at it, Angels why don't you get rid of one of the biggest attractions the MLB has seen in Shohei Ohtani. We can get a bunch of PROSPECTS (SUSPECTS) and we will be where the Astros are in five years ... Isn't that all of your genius armchair agent/GM's here think?

LOL. 

3 minutes ago, BILLYMACREXANDGUBI said:

It's really not. Only on the Internet would some silly notion like this possibly gain any traction. 

Never once has it crossed my mind that the Angels should trade Trout. He chose the Angels and this is how you repay him? Try to trade him? LOL.

I know I sound kind of child-like but how do you call yourself a fan of a team but still float around trading the best player who has brought so much joy to this fanbase for years.

Oh, I know. Let's kick him to the curb because all we care about is the bottom line here.

And how about when Trout wins a championship with the team the Angels trade him to and the Angels keep on sucking... yeah, try swallowing that pill.

No that is a terrible way of running and organization and I know Arte Moreno has a big heart who has a lot more sense then to do something so stupid as to let the Front Office trade MIKE TROUT. WTF is up with you people?

Also, while we are at it, Angels why don't you get rid of one of the biggest attractions the MLB has seen in Shohei Ohtani. We can get a bunch of PROSPECTS (SUSPECTS) and we will be where the Astros are in five years ... Isn't that all of your genius armchair agent/GM's here think?

LOL. 

Guess what is more fun than watching Trout play baseball? Winning. 

Edited by robblin17

3 minutes ago, BILLYMACREXANDGUBI said:

LOL. 

I don’t think they should trade Trout but man this is some pretty funny stuff. Well done. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

The Cardinals recently inquired. Evidently, there wasn't any traction to those negotiations. 

Once Ohtani leaves for greener pastures, Trout can DH, which keeps him healthier longer. 

The NL DH does open up additional possibilities.  However, it is never going to happen.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Cardinals recently inquired. Evidently, there wasn't any traction to those negotiations. 

Once Ohtani leaves for greener pastures, Trout can DH, which keeps him healthier longer. 

The Angels need frontline pitching. Ohtani is likely going to stay unless they acquire some pitching elsewhere 

You keep Trout and sign Ohtani for whatever (no more than 8 seasons though), and then no more long term contracts until late in the decade and only then choosing the best of your own pending FAs to re-sign.

It’s time to get out of the other teams’ FAs market, and focus on building your own org and team.

Can we at least attempt to acknowledge something here on this trade Trout and Ohtani stuff?

Trout and Ohtani are a couple of 8-10 WAR players.

If you have a team that has TWO 8-10 WAR players on your roster at the same time, it is realistically almost impossible to execute trades that produce that much actual on-the-mlb-roster value at the same time.

I don’t think you can expect to come out ahead.

And even if you could do it, you would certainly end up with that much value spread across more than two players.  I am having a hard time understanding how having a chance at 16-20 WAR spread out over four players is more valuable than 16-20 WAR in two players now.

This year was a big letdown.  But it seems more realistic to try to win with these guys going forward than to punt on them.

I don't think we see a big return for Trout right now, given his health and his salary. At this point the Angels are better off keeping him... I mean it's just money, so what else are we going to do with it? Spend it on another Pujols contract? Just keep him around, he still has a lot of production left in him.

33 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think we see a big return for Trout right now, given his health and his salary. At this point the Angels are better off keeping him... I mean it's just money, so what else are we going to do with it? Spend it on another Pujols contract? Just keep him around, he still has a lot of production left in him.

^^^ This ^^^….unless he wants to be traded….