• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels are the only team without a prospect in MLB Pipeline’s mid season top 100

mmc

7 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Who do we realistically have that's a top 100? Prospect? Detmers I assume has graduated from prospect status. Adell has been a complete flop. Bachman is injured. So no surprise there. 

I mean Silseth made it to the Big leagues, with a plus fastball and slider, needs improvement on the command aspect of his games. Yet isn't in the top 100..Somehow how Brash is in the top 100 with his close to 7 era in the majors.

Bush, could have also easily sneaked into the 95-100 range.

4 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I mean Silseth made it to the Big leagues, with a plus fastball and slider, needs improvement on the command aspect of his games. Yet isn't in the top 100..Somehow how Brash is in the top 100 with his close to 7 era in the majors.

My guess is his projectability and track record puts him outside the top 100. Even guys like Bello and Waldichuk only very recently have gotten any sort of top 100 recognition

12 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Considering Silseth is ranked #16 on the team per their rankings he's not even close to sniffing the overall top 100... 

I'm tired of defending against these top 100 lists or org rankings and such.  

The top of the system isn't where I hoped it would be by any stretch.  And it makes some sense relative to what we had with a few guys at the top who have since graduated.   With most of the potential in A ball or below.  

But.  

the overall health of the system is much different than it was 2-3 years ago in a good way.   I would encourage people to take some solace in the fact that there are going to be a lot of major leaguers from the current system.  Maybe not a single super star.  But my guess is that the major league club ends up with some really good players from the crew of farmhands we have right now.  

And at the very least, there will be several bullpen grads which we haven't had for a long time.  

In the past, if we had a couple of top 100 guys, the system overall was still thin and sort of a hologram whereas now, a few guys to the top would actually make the system one of the best.   I'm not saying that's imminent, but a good draft and some good fortune with selling off some guys at the deadline could get the recognition that everyone is hoping for.  

It probably doesn't change much though in the way that the farm supports the major league club.  It will.  But not next year or even maybe the year after.  But if they keep doing what they are doing, it will.  

It's probably the one true thing about the org right now that isn't thoroughly disappointing to me.  

10 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Who do we realistically have that's a top 100? Prospect? Detmers I assume has graduated from prospect status. Adell has been a complete flop. Bachman is injured. So no surprise there. 

Rankings are always subjective and they seem to follow certain patterns.  You'll often see the draft hype guys show up in the end of season or preseason rankings.  You'll often see guys who had some prospect hype and look like they are breaking out make the mid-season rankings and guys who have tanked but are "tools darlings" seemingly hold on despite their horrible showings.  As a whole I tend to not put a lot of weight in these things because they are typically written by the very people who called Maitan the second coming of Cabrerra based on nothing other than a few looks at him in controlled situations.  Anyway, I'd say the mid-season ranks are easily the ones worth paying the least attention to.

But as far as who could realistically be considered a top 100.  Edgar Quero, Werner Blakley, Plancencia maybe...  

Blakely is listed as 6"3 185" he's physically projectable, he's 1.1 years below the league average age, he's playing in a near neutral park that suppresses HR totals and he's put up a .303/462/.479 batting line.  What he doesn't have is a lot of draft status.  Dude comes from a Detroit Michigan HS, was considered raw and a bit of a project coming out of HS and as a 4th rounder there are a ton of guys that carry the same rep.  But he's doing it in Low A and a 38/48 BB/K ratio in 190 PAs indicates he has a clue.   

Quero turned 19, 3 months ago, switch hitting catcher out of Cuba.   .281/404/.463 over 284 PAs.  5'11 170 so, not the most projectable type.  Didn't have a track record in Cuba, so wasn't hyped at all.  Compare him to Harry Ford ranked 71st.  He's also 19, 5'10, 200, so if Quero is not really projectable, you have to think that Ford is pretty much maxed out.  Ford played for Cobb High in GA, a bit of a regional powerhouse, was taken 12th overall last year in the first round.  He's in the same exact league in a park that also tends to favor pitchers.  He's gone .249/.389/.410 over 259 PAs.   

I get why neither of the Angels guys are ranked, they didn't have the draft status or the track record to be viewed as anything other than pop up prospects worth watching right now.  We will see how the rest of the year goes but those two are doing it and as you pointed out, had Bachman not been injured he likely makes the list based on nothing other than previous draft status.

There are quite a few guys who make these lists based on hype or previous performances.

Ronny Mauricio has made four of these lists, he's got a career .299 OBP but his prospect status will always be high because he has crazy good raw power for a MI prospect.  It helps that his home park has an HR index of 119 but still that one tool will make people ignore all the holes.  

Gabriel Arias is ranked solely because of what he did last year.  He was awful in AAA this year, awful when he was up with the big club.  He's a career .270/.324/.408 minor league batting line who really has only had one minor league season worth mentioning but it came at age 19 in a pitchers park.  His age and projectable size are propping him up but he's really not done anything special to date.

If Anthony Volpe was an Angel, everyone here would be asking what's gone wrong with him because he's fallen off from his epic performance last year.  He's played in three hitter's park including his current one with a HR index of 117 but his sub .800 OPS looks bad after his 1.078 OPS in High A.

Noelvi Marte is still in the top 25 despite pretty pedestrian numbers in a severe hitrers park.  A 127 overall index, 152 for HRs has translated into a .732 OPS.  Zac Veen is ranked in the top 25 as well, his .838 OPS in High A looks pretty good but he's playing in an even more hitter friendly park -- 131 overall and 173 for HRs.  To put these into perspective, the Angels High A Park in the same league comes in at 81 and 56.   100 is league average.   People should keep these facts in mind when looking at Angels High A hitters.. AND their pitchers.  That park is making some guys look worse than they are and others a lot better.  

Jasson Dominguez, "the Martian", remains the poster boy for hype.  He's not doing badly, he's just massively overrated.  He's definitely got a batting eye, but his early matured body and friendly home parks haven't really helped him put up the numbers a player talked about as a generational prospect when he signed.  Hopefully his development goes better than the last guy that got hyped that much, Lazaro Armentaros aka -- "the 17 year old Cuban Bryce Harper."  Dude was also compared to Bo Jackson and Willie Mays. BTW.  The funny thing is "Lazarito" didn't make any top 100s, even with all the hype -- it's good to be a Yankees farmhand.

Anyway...  Rankings have always been a lot of noise, the midseason ones are probably the ones with the most variance.   Hopefully they get a guy or two into the season end top 100s, not because it will mean much, but so it calms the natives down a bit.

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

the overall health of the system is much different than it was 2-3 years ago in a good way.   

I think the system took a step backwards after the graduations a couple years ago and yet this could be said to be true pretty much every season since about 2019.   It's less a testament to the current health of the system so much as it's proof of how absolutely barren and devoid of talent it was in 2015-16.   People simply don't get how bad it was.  Yes, they read it was ranked 30th, but the reality is the gap between 29 and 30 was probably bigger than the gap between the 29th ranked team and the top 10.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If Anthony Volpe was an Angel, everyone here would be asking what's gone wrong with him because he's fallen off from his epic performance last year.  He's played in three hitter's park including his current one with a HR index of 117 but his sub .800 OPS looks bad after his 1.078 OPS in High A.

Fan of Volpe's so I've followed his box scores this season.  Thru the end of May he was slashing .203/.312/.373, but since June 1 he's hitting .307/.383/.553.  The steals have been there the whole time but I don't know if he's that much of a speed guy

12 hours ago, IheartLA said:

Considering Silseth is ranked #16 on the team per their rankings he's not even close to sniffing the overall top 100... 

Another way to look at that would be if we have 15 better prospects than a guy drafted last year that has looked passable in the majors, then we are in much better shape that we think we are.  

I was going to mention Quero and Blakely, but IP is quicker on the draw. I'm not saying that they should be top 100, but that they could be. Meaning, once you get past the top 50 or so, the next 50 could be chosen from any of a couple hundred prospects with some promise. The top 50 (or 30 or 70, or whatever) are sort of those prospects who combine upside, performance at generally higher levels (or at least A+), and have some degree of draft pedigree (or were big international signings). That last factor muddies the waters a bit, which is why it gets fuzzier after the top prospects.

I think you could make an argument that no prospect should be in the top 20 unless they've had success at AA or higher; none in the top 50 unless success at A+ or higher, and none in the top 100 unless success at A or higher. Or something like that. By "success" I mean a half season or more of being good or better at said level.

While I think name recognition and draft pedigree have a lot to do with why Blakely and Quero aren't in the top 100, it also can be explained simply by looking at the fact that they're "cuspy" in terms of what i outlined in the paragraph above. Blakely's having a breakout season this year in A ball at 20 years old, but he's still just done it for 43 games. If he were doing the same in AA at 20 years old, I'm pretty sure he'd be in the top 50; if at A+, possibly the top 100, regardless of pedigree. But while he's youngish, he's not so young or so dominant that he's turning the heads of analysts...yet.

Similarly with Quero, although between last year and this one, he's now played 72 games in A ball at age 18-19, hitting .272/.392/.449, and more importantly, improving significantly from last year...and as a catcher. My guess is that if he keeps this up all year and holds his own in A+ later in the year, he'll reach some top 100 list by year's end. Possibly Blakely too.

That said, other orgs with good scouting departments are likely taking notice of both, and might be mentioning their names when talking with Minasian.