• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who gets fired next?

Who gets fired next?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. The next to get the axe will be ...

• Matt Wise
    • Jeremy Reed
    • Perry Minasian
    • Phil Nevin
    • Someone else
    • The MLB will force Arte to sell the team
  2. 2. BONUS: When will the firing occur?

• This week
    • ASB/later this month
    • Closer to the end of the season
    • Clean house during the off season

Reed and quite frankly I have no idea if it matters.  I doubt Reed is the reason the team is looking at strike three as often as they are.  To me it feels like they are trying to target pitch and location for the hitter to be successful. So when they get that pitch they swing and when they don’t they let it go or are less aggressive, even with two strikes.  I have no idea if that is a team philosophy or Reed or my imagination.

Should be Perry. You could make an argument that both the MLB team and the farm have somehow gotten worse since he came on board. 

But still not the problem. Org needs an overhaul, and really that will only happen if Arte sells or accepts a radically different approach to the autonomy, structure, and budget that's been adhered to to date.

Eppler was still the closest we've had to a true GM going back to Stoneman. I'll even give Dipoto a little credit there (thought I still disagree with a lot of his approach). , 

Next time Arte hires a GM, he needs to step back, hire a primed and ready no-brainer GM candidate or poach a successful one from another club and let them reform every aspect of the team, be it putting the minor leaguers up in mansions, spending $300m on payroll for a couple years to buy prospects like the Dodgers did, signing mid-tier FAs without caution, or rebuilding from the ground up, whatever that candidate feels is best. Handicapping the talent we bring into the FO isn't doing anyone any favors.

Edited by totdprods

21 minutes ago, speaks385 said:

Firing isn't the answer. Motivation and  confidence is what this team needs. They can win if they try. I feel they give up once the lead is taken away or they get behind by 3 runs. 

Then the problem would be the players. Maddon was supposed to be a motivator. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Firing Maddon was dumb, IMO. Reactionary and destabilized a team that was already having a tough time. He wasn't perfect and maybe not the answer but it was not the right move to make. I genuinely think the players liked playing under him.

There can be multiple problems and getting rid of one may not solve the others but it doesn’t mean getting rid of one problem is the wrong decision. 

The 20 strikeouts brought the team’s biggest flaw upon several national news outlets. As a team, the Angels now easily lead the majors. How do you do nothing as an organization?

The firing of Reed likely won’t solve the strikeouts but if you axe the head coach for a losing streak, certainly the hitting coach has to go after the team’s anemic performance. 
Again… just put the ball in play. We’re talking about a major league team here. 

23 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

It won't matter.  Because the people making the decisions above baseball operations will never get fired.  

And by above baseball operations, I mean Moreno, Dennis Kuhl - Chairman 19 years, John Carpino - President 13 years/19 years with club, and Molly Jolly Senior Vice President Finance and Administration 22 years.  These are pretty much the board members that make the real decisions.

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There can be multiple problems and getting rid of one may not solve the others but it doesn’t mean getting rid of one problem is the wrong decision. 

We might not know for sometime, or ever, but was Maddon a problem? 

I'm sure to fans, sure, easy to blame or look at dumb decisions, but Maddon is only really a problem if the 26 guys lining up everyday think he's a problem, and while that may be true, I don't really see anything to indicate it was. 

It felt like a firing for the sake of a firing, and I would not be surprised one bit if it was an easy way for Minasian or Arte to get rid of someone who was challenging them, and I think this board is pretty much consensus that Arte needs to be challenged. I don't get the feeling Minasian and Maddon were particularly close or on the same page either.

I have a feeling the 14-game losing streak put a really big spotlight on brewing tensions that were developing between Maddon and the FO as the FO started increasingly pushing ways to end the losing streak and it eventually presented an opportunity for Minasian to get Maddon out.

17 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

The 20 strikeouts brought the team’s biggest flaw upon several national news outlets. As a team, the Angels now easily lead the majors. How do you do nothing as an organization?

The firing of Reed likely won’t solve the strikeouts but if you axe the head coach for a losing streak, certainly the hitting coach has to go after the team’s anemic performance. 
Again… just put the ball in play. We’re talking about a major league team here. 

Put the ball in play. Hit-and-run. Steal bases. Work counts. Take walks. Bunt. That's what the good teams do.

Us? We swing away at every damn pitch except the fastballs over the middle. Pathetic offensive plan. Total lack of fundamental baseball. Fire the coaches and can the interim manager. Get someone in there who knows the game.

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm sure to fans, sure, easy to blame or look at dumb decisions, but Maddon is only really a problem if the 26 guys lining up everyday think he's a problem, and while that may be true, I don't really see anything to indicate it was. 

It felt like a firing for the sake of a firing, and I would not be surprised one bit if it was an easy way for Minasian or Arte to get rid of someone who was challenging them, and I think this board is pretty much consensus that Arte needs to be challenged. I don't get the feeling Minasian and Maddon were particularly close or on the same page either.

I have a feeling the 14-game losing streak put a really big spotlight on brewing tensions that were developing between Maddon and the FO as the FO started increasingly pushing ways to end the losing streak and it eventually presented an opportunity for Minasian to get Maddon out.

Maddon and Minasian were obviously not on the same page, and Arte appeared to give Joe plenty of room when it came to giving input on the roster. In that way he needed to go. I don't know if Minasian has what it takes to be a good GM but he needs to be allowed to make all of the decisions. This organization by committee approach doesn't work, especially when you're not all on the same page.

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Maddon was hand picked by Arte, Arte was ok firing him. Perry must have given a really strong argument to make that happen. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maddon was hand picked by Arte, Arte was ok firing him. Perry must have given a really strong argument to make that happen. 

I don't know about that.  I think Arte is really trying to stay out of baseball operations, I think it was more of a cursory " whatever you think Perry, it's your decision."  Personally I think Arte has reached the age where he doesn't want to be involved in the day to day mess, he has other things in his life that are more important.

18 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I don't know about that.  I think Arte is really trying to stay out of baseball operations, I think it was more of a cursory " whatever you think Perry, it's your decision."  Personally I think Arte has reached the age where he doesn't want to be involved in the day to day mess, he has other things in his life that are more important.

Either way that’s a very good thing. If Arte allows Perry to make decisions then we can stop blaming him for dumb shit. 

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Put the ball in play. Hit-and-run. Steal bases. Work counts. Take walks. Bunt. That's what the good teams do.

Us? We swing away at every damn pitch except the fastballs over the middle. Pathetic offensive plan. Total lack of fundamental baseball. Fire the coaches and can the interim manager. Get someone in there who knows the game.

Baseball is relatively a simple GAME!  Does the front office not see the players with “Angels” on their jerseys not doing the fundamentals??

The first base coach on the play that ward got tagged out by maldonado?  One team was there, the other team was seemingly just going through the motions. 

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sure if you want. 

Who do you blame? I mean, I try not to take the easy route of blaming Arte, but he is the owner, and given that the entire organization is in disarray it makes sense to blame the man at the helm. Y’know, “the buck stops here” and all that jazz.