• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Theoretically speaking what are the Angels odds for reaching the post season?

Somewhere around 25% - 35% or so based on the current roster. Too many teams to compete with. One dimensional offense. No homers, few wins. You have to manufacture runs in close games against good pitching. Bullpen is not good enough to help in extending winning steaks. 

Yet they did put together a quality first month. But many things went right and were in sync. Hard to think they can repeat that type of consistency. The losing streak and managerial change also must have affected collective confidence. Looks like they will settle into a .500 type team. But there's always hope. 

Check the 'impossible dream' 1967 story of the Red Sox for inspiration. 

20 hours ago, Blarg said:

If the top of the lineup can pull their collective game together, find a replacement for the lost value in Rendon, see a little more development out of Marsh, I think they have a chance. They can afford one Squid level offensive player but not an offense with three Squids like Duffy, Mayfield and Lagares all in the same lineup. Bounce the under .200 squad and hold your breath for Fletcher to return so Velazquez can return to bench duty. 

Duffy is hitting .288

3 hours ago, Jason said:

It’s already done 

12 games left this month against teams at or below our level. For things to be "turning around" I think they'd need to win at least 9 of them. Since that would put them right back at .500 and maybe get the team's confidence back up. But I'm not holding my breath. I suppose winning 6-8 would be satisfactory in my opinion because it would mean imrpovement and close the gap between .500 and the WC. Odds are this team wins 1 more game this month, maybe 2. It's still incredible how far this team has fallen. Normally a collapse such as this are saved for September. 

4 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Do you guys actually watch the games or look at the box scores?  Forget what Fangraphs says, they are doing literally nothing correctly the last month. This team isn’t making the playoffs, and almost certainly isn’t going to finish .500 (for what, the seventh year in a row?). 

Hence why I was interested in people's opinions 🙃

I find the layman's thoughts more interesting than the self proclaimed "Experts" at the major sports networks 

The cowboy hat routine has become a hollow ritual. But symbolic of the philosophy of the team. Celebrating  individual moments, but nothing to do with the actual flow and score of the game itself. 

Maybe they should save these rituals for more team oriented moments. Or forget them entirely and just focus on the minutiae of games and the objective of beating the other team. 

8 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The cowboy hat routine has become a hollow ritual. But symbolic of the philosophy of the team. Celebrating  individual moments, but nothing to do with the actual flow and score of the game itself. 

Maybe they should save these rituals for more team oriented moments. Or forget them entirely and just focus on the minutiae of games and the objective of beating the other team. 

They should shoot fireworks off every time they get a baserunner.

29 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Do you guys actually watch the games or look at the box scores?  Forget what Fangraphs says, this team is doing literally nothing correctly the last month. They aren’t making the playoffs, and almost certainly aren’t going to finish .500 (for what, the seventh year in a row?). 

They’re a difficult team to watch.

When I hear the word "rebuild", I immediately equate it to a tear down of the current roster and a multi-year process of reconstituting the entire team.

The Angels have not been that for a handful of years now, primarily because they have two once-in-a-lifetime generational players on the team in Trout and Ohtani. They have been trying to surround those two with a good set of role players and other stars, to win now, not later.

So everyone should get the word rebuild out of their vocabulary as long as one or both of Trout and Ohtani are on this roster. At best you should be calling it a "retooling", probably. "Reloading" might be a word that describes a "retooling" combined with a touch of "rebuilding".

Don't use the word rebuild until Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani are no longer on this roster. Despite the fact the team is laying down to their opponents, doesn't mean the organization philosophically believes the team should not be competitive year in and year out. I think they all want to win, but the magic formula has not presented itself yet and the personalities involved in the decision making processes continue to jam up the wheels (looking directly at Arte Moreno here). 

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

and a .306 slg with an 86 wRC+.  

kind of annoying that they've allowed him to prep for his role in 'The Machinist II' during the season.  

Wade:  .220 with a .550 OPS

Rengifo:  .204 with a .572 OPS

Duffy:  .278 with a .634 OPS

why everyone is so down on Duffy when there are better targets?

8 minutes ago, Revad said:

Wade:  .220 with a .550 OPS

Rengifo:  .204 with a .572 OPS

Duffy:  .278 with a .634 OPS

why everyone is so down on Duffy when there are better targets?

This group isn’t the best with assigning blame.