• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

General NHL Talk 2022-2023

gotbeer

1 minute ago, deepdrive said:

Do you think the Ducks may regret tying so much up in Klingberg?

Of course it's early. They only have to wait until Jan 1. Then they can flip him and use half the cap money to do another deal.

No that's a great deal. It's close to market and they need to reach the floor without committing to future years. If they eat some salary they'll get a 1st plus more at the deadline

1 minute ago, deepdrive said:

Do you think the Ducks may regret tying so much up in Klingberg?

Of course it's early. They only have to wait until Jan 1. Then they can flip him and use half the cap money to do another deal.

They have $18.8 million available.  Even if they decide to keep Klingberg, which is highly unlikely, Shattenkirk is also probably going to get moved.  You know that Grant will be moved again for the 10th time by the Ducks, and probably sign back with them in the offseason.  And Stolarz might be the huge prize if he duplicates what he did last season.  

The difference between the Ducks/Yotes/Sabres is only $1-3 million (once the Yotes get over the floor).  But the probably next team will probably be the Blackhawks and Wings (Stars still have to sign Robertson, and the Islanders are frontrunning to sign Kadri) is $8 million.  

So no regerts from the Ducks.

not to get off track here, but al michaels made a point last night that every story vinnie told ended before they went to commercial. just some kind of uncanny ability to fit everything in before the inning ended.

somehow i've forgotten so maybe someone here can help . . . in the nhl, if you go over the salary cap, are you fined like in baseball and the nba? and are any teams doing that currently? or is it a hard cap?

34 minutes ago, Tank said:

somehow i've forgotten so maybe someone here can help . . . in the nhl, if you go over the salary cap, are you fined like in baseball and the nba? and are any teams doing that currently? or is it a hard cap?

You cannot go over.  Or you forfeit the games you are over.  

Right now it's the offseason, so you can go over.  But day before the season starts, you have to be cap compliant.  

I believe there was an instance in the past, where a team couldn't be cap compliant.  So they pretty much sent everyone they could to the minors, and ended up dressing less than 23 players.  It was in the teens if I remember correctly.  

Actually looking it up, it's a much bigger penalty if you are over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap#:~:text=Teams found to have violated,the violation of the cap.

Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to US$5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap.

Edmonton Oilers re-sign Kailer Yamamoto to two-year contract

The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed forward Kailer Yamamoto to a two-year contract carrying a $3.1 million annual cap hit, the club announced Wednesday.

With Yamamoto under contract, the Oilers now have just two restricted free agents left to sign this summer: Ryan McLeod and Tyler Benson.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

Currently $6.031 million over the cap.  $0 in LTIR.  

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Klefbom will be LTIR all season and Smith will be at the start at least

That doesn't help them for being cap compliant though.  You have to be cap compliant day before the season starts.  LTIR only applies to players that were on LTIR at last seasons end.  They won't be able to place anyone on LTIR until they are compliant and the season has started.  So for instance, the Lightning are $7.195 million over the cap.  But they have Seabrook that is on LTIR from last season that is $6.875.  So they are really only $320k above the cap.  Same goes for the Knights.  $1.394 million over the cap.  But they traded for Webers LTIR, which is $7.857 million.  So they are $6.463 million under the cap.  

3 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

That doesn't help them for being cap compliant though.  You have to be cap compliant day before the season starts.  LTIR only applies to players that were on LTIR at last seasons end.  They won't be able to place anyone on LTIR until they are compliant and the season has started.  So for instance, the Lightning are $7.195 million over the cap.  But they have Seabrook that is on LTIR from last season that is $6.875.  So they are really only $320k above the cap.  Same goes for the Knights.  $1.394 million over the cap.  But they traded for Webers LTIR, which is $7.857 million.  So they are $6.463 million under the cap.  

I don't think that applies if the player starts the season unable to play

8 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I don't think that applies if the player starts the season unable to play

Doesn't matter.  Can't put a player on LTIR until the season starts.  Even if they are unable to play.  Unless they were already on LTIR at last seasons end.  This is to prevent cap circumvention.

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

You cannot go over.  Or you forfeit the games you are over.  

Right now it's the offseason, so you can go over.  But day before the season starts, you have to be cap compliant.  

I believe there was an instance in the past, where a team couldn't be cap compliant.  So they pretty much sent everyone they could to the minors, and ended up dressing less than 23 players.  It was in the teens if I remember correctly.  

Actually looking it up, it's a much bigger penalty if you are over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap#:~:text=Teams found to have violated,the violation of the cap.

man, that's too rigid. i'm guessing this will be a significant issue during the next cba meetings.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

man, that's too rigid. i'm guessing this will be a significant issue during the next cba meetings.

Probably not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap#:~:text=Players%2C agents or employees found,%241 million and%2For suspension.

Sounds like these rules have been in place since 2005.  

It's a 50/50 revenue split between players and teams.  So it's actually in the players best interest to have a competitive balance and not teams overspending creating a revenue deficit like what the players are fixing due to Covid.  

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Nice.  I haven't played in like a year and a half.  Have the courses not been a zoo like they were during the pandemic?

It’s a bit more crowded than usual and decent tee times are harder to get. But it was pretty open yesterday at Woodley. My knees enjoyed the fact it was a pretty flat course so it didn’t feel like I was climbing up to my roof to get to every tee box and green.

7 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Gonna start seeing some bigger deals now anticipating an end of the flat cap

Won't happen for another year from what I understand.  But yeah, some players are already hedging their bets.  I'm sure that's why players like Laine signed a 2 year deal instead of a long term contract.  

Also regarding Huberbeau's contract.  It's all signing bonus heavy.  So if he is a bust, no matter how remote, it'll be hard for the Flames to get from out of the contract.  Signing bonus btw, are a way to circumvent taxes.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jonathan-huberdeau

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HITTooltip AAV Tooltip P. BONUSESTooltip S. BONUSESTooltip BASE SALARYTooltip TOTAL SALARYTooltip MINORS SALTooltip
2023-24 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $7,000,000 $3,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2024-25 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $7,000,000 $3,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2025-26 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $7,000,000 $3,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2026-27 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $9,500,000 $1,000,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2027-28 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $9,500,000 $1,000,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2028-29 NMC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $7,000,000 $3,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2029-30 M-NTC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $9,500,000 $1,000,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
2030-31 M-NTC $10,500,000 $10,500,000 $0 $5,000,000 $5,500,000 $10,500,000 $10,500,000
TOTAL   $84,000,000 $84,000,000 $0 $61,500,000 $22,500,000 $84,000,000 $84,000,000

• 2 weeks later...