• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

General NHL Talk 2022-2023

gotbeer

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Avalanche make Nathan MacKinnon highest-paid player in NHL

Can't say he doesn't derserve it.  But you are going to need a lot of discounted salaries to keep the team going.  Cap space next season is already down to $14 million.

This will be paid for almost entirely by EJ retiring. I think it's always been the plan. They still have to find room for RFA contacts for Newhook and Byram which is why I think either Toews or Girard gets traded after this season

13 hours ago, arch stanton said:

This will be paid for almost entirely by EJ retiring. I think it's always been the plan. They still have to find room for RFA contacts for Newhook and Byram which is why I think either Toews or Girard gets traded after this season

That is pretty much the MO around the league. If a team has a player or players that command a high level contract, someone is going to be dealt to cover it. It also raises the stakes for teams who misjudge a player's value in awarding such a contract.

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

That is pretty much the MO around the league. If a team has a player or players that command a high level contract, someone is going to be dealt to cover it. It also raises the stakes for teams who misjudge a player's value in awarding such a contract.

The flat cap actually created some parity by punishing the big contracts that got signed just before the pandemic. You still gotta pay your stars but you can't make bad decisions with older or middling free agents

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

The flat cap actually created some parity by punishing the big contracts that got signed just before the pandemic. You still gotta pay your stars but you can't make bad decisions with older or middling free agents

It's interesting the FA's that didn't get signed this offseason.  PK retiring at 33.  Yandle at 36.  Pre flat cap, I think teams would have easily taken fliers on them.  But now, teams can't risk using their cap space on players that speed has passed up.  Heck, even Milano not being signed yet.  

Yandle looked cooked last season. I think PK is looking forward to the media side. If Milano would take a one year prove it contract I think he'd be in camp. Maybe he's got a pocket agreement while he waits for a team to clear cap.

The Avs gave a PTO to Galchenyuk. A former 30 goal scorer who was a #3 overall pick. For some reason he hasn't clicked wherever he's been but maybe the Avs can light a fire under his ass. He's surely got a little skill left

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

Yandle looked cooked last season. I think PK is looking forward to the media side. If Milano would take a one year prove it contract I think he'd be in camp. Maybe he's got a pocket agreement while he waits for a team to clear cap.

The Avs gave a PTO to Galchenyuk. A former 30 goal scorer who was a #3 overall pick. For some reason he hasn't clicked wherever he's been but maybe the Avs can light a fire under his ass. He's surely got a little skill left

I always liked Galchenyuk, and thought he was put in shit situations.  Starting on a bad Montreal team and doing well.  Then shipped to Arizona.  Then bouncing around from team to team after that.  On a skilled Colorado team, he's going to do well above his salary.  He did score 12 in 26 on Toronto, and 7 in 14 on the Wild.  Only 17 in 45 in Pittsburgh.  But in those 2 years, he played on 4 teams.  I can see him scoring 40 points for the Avs.  

And I agree with Milano.  He probably has an agreement in place, and is just waiting for the season to start for salary cap purposes.  At least I hope he does.  

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the hangup with Robertson?  Is he asking for too much money?  Too much term?  Is Dallas' owner hamstringing the GM with his comments?  

I mean, you look around the league, and so far, just this year.

Kyrou 25 RW 8/$65/$8.125

Stutzle 21 C 8/66.8/8.35

Thompson 25 C/RW 7/50/7.14

Tkachuk 24 lw/rw 8/76/9.5

Laine 24 lw/rw 4/34.8/8.7

Norris 23 C 8/63.6/7.95

Robertson at 23 sounds like a 8-8.4 million a year deal sounds about right.  Compensation for an offer sheet of up to 5 years/$8.4 million to lose a first second and third doesn't seem that bad for someone of Robertson's pedigree.  Go higher and it's 2 firsts, a second and third, and go above $10.5 and it's 3 firsts.  Calculations of compensation is based up to 5 years.  So if you sign him to a 7/$8.4, it's actually counted as (7*8.4)/5=$11.76 in offer sheet compensation.  I think if someone offers him and he accepts 7/$8.4+, they take the three first round picks.  If someone offers and he accepts 5/$8.4, they sign him for that amount with the GM saying his hands are tied to the owner.  

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

So what's the hangup with Robertson?  Is he asking for too much money?  Too much term?  Is Dallas' owner hamstringing the GM with his comments?  

I mean, you look around the league, and so far, just this year.

Kyrou 25 RW 8/$65/$8.125

Stutzle 21 C 8/66.8/8.35

Thompson 25 C/RW 7/50/7.14

Tkachuk 24 lw/rw 8/76/9.5

Laine 24 lw/rw 4/34.8/8.7

Norris 23 C 8/63.6/7.95

Robertson at 23 sounds like a 8-8.4 million a year deal sounds about right.  Compensation for an offer sheet of up to 5 years/$8.4 million to lose a first second and third doesn't seem that bad for someone of Robertson's pedigree.  Go higher and it's 2 firsts, a second and third, and go above $10.5 and it's 3 firsts.  Calculations of compensation is based up to 5 years.  So if you sign him to a 7/$8.4, it's actually counted as (7*8.4)/5=$11.76 in offer sheet compensation.  I think if someone offers him and he accepts 7/$8.4+, they take the three first round picks.  If someone offers and he accepts 5/$8.4, they sign him for that amount with the GM saying his hands are tied to the owner.  

I think he probably wants a 3 year bridge so hew can clean up when the cap increases

New York Islanders Extend Mathew Barzal

The New York Islanders have signed Mathew Barzal to an eight-year extension worth a total of $73.2MM. The deal will start in 2023-24 and carries an average annual value of $9.15MM.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/barzama01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

That seems a bit high.  Sure he had a 85 pts season and won the calder.  But in the 4 years since, he seems to be about a 60 point player. 

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

New York Islanders Extend Mathew Barzal

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/b/barzama01.html?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

That seems a bit high.  Sure he had a 85 pts season and won the calder.  But in the 4 years since, he seems to be about a 60 point player. 

We'll see how he responds under the Trotz-lite coach

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Lots of last minute IR

IR doesn't give you cap relief though.  Only LTIR.  Which I'm not even sure how that works anymore.  I thought you can't put them on that till the start of the season, but I've seen a few teams put players on LTIR preseason.  

Grain of salt, it's Eklund.  But hahahahhahaha.

AUGELLO: Murray Leaves Practice, Concerns Over Goaltending Depth

He lasted 3 games into a 2 year contract.  And they are at 50/50 contracts with $0 in cap space, so it's not like they can go out and get a replacement.  Oh just realized, they have 20/23 on their roster also.

Edited by gotbeer

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Sonny Milano To Sign With Washington Capitals

You knew he would sign eventually.  Not a bad spot for him.  

Minimum salary and sent to the AHL - that hurts with his talent. The guy doesn't seem to be a clubhouse problem. So, the fact that he can't make some teams 4th line seems to say he's a bit of a head case. Kind of a Ritchie with talent instead of size.

• 2 weeks later...