• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

13 minutes ago, Sam Sanchez said:

It's weird because that's what I enjoyed most and what is generally praised the most from that movie. Like when "Oscar So White" controversy last year was happening and everyone was upset that black people didn't get nominated, a lot of people were citing the lack of a Jake Gyllenhaal nomination being the biggest snub of all.

Wait...Nightcrawler actually would actually have been two years ago. So I guess it was people being overwhelmingly upset about the lack of David Oyelowo not being nominated for Selma and people citing Jake as a bigger snub.

It's a heightened performance so I'm assuming his mannerisms just got on your nerves?

I didn't believe him in that role. I dunno. He seemed far too cartoonish to me.

On 1/15/2017 at 10:33 PM, HaloJustinBieber said:

Watched "Nocturnal Animals" with the wife today.  Jake Gyllenhall and Amy Adams.  I was kind of into it and then it fell apart.  I wouldn't watch it if I had a do-over.

Hard movie to sit through.  I liked it, but also wouldn't want to watch it again.

On 1/15/2017 at 10:09 AM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I saw Martin Scoresese's new film 'Silence' about missionaries traveling to Japan in the 1600's. I have to say that this was an utterly fantastic movie and it's a shame to see it flounder at the box office as well as miss out on any decent critical acclaim.

I think the problem lies with this film being a very religious movie, but not a rah rah Jesus movie that brings out the church audience. This was an honest, yet faith affirming look at questioning your beliefs - questioning your interpretations and questioning yourself. This is a film that might upset the evangelical and the staunch atheist, but for anyone that may have spent significant time away from the church, or distant from God, this is a reminder that he was always with you.

I agree it was a good movie.  It was well done and I felt it may have been Scorcese's most personal film.   It can be appreciated or analyzed from different perspectives, historical, metaphorical and theological, among others.  On a historical level it covered an era and social setting that is rarely, if ever, portrayed in western film and I loved it.  As a metaphor for the societal norm's unrelenting will to tear apart that which it perceives as threatening, it was quite thought provoking.   The protagonist's dilemma was exacerbated by Roman Catholic theology, so it is an opportunity to do some theological & ethical wrangling vis a vis your particular Christian or other viewpoint.  I like that you termed it honest and I would add respectful as it allows a lot of room for the viewer to fill in the blanks.

3 hours ago, Junkballer said:

I agree it was a good movie.  It was well done and I felt it may have been Scorcese's most personal film.   It can be appreciated or analyzed from different perspectives, historical, metaphorical and theological, among others.  On a historical level it covered an era and social setting that is rarely, if ever, portrayed in western film and I loved it.  As a metaphor for the societal norm's unrelenting will to tear apart that which it perceives as threatening, it was quite thought provoking.   The protagonist's dilemma was exacerbated by Roman Catholic theology, so it is an opportunity to do some theological & ethical wrangling vis a vis your particular Christian or other viewpoint.  I like that you termed it honest and I would add respectful as it allows a lot of room for the viewer to fill in the blanks.

I definitely agree with 'respectful'. I've spoken to some people about the film and we've taken completely different perspectives on the meaning of certain things. One thing in particular was the importance of symbols. The characters make a big deal out of them for most of the movie, but recognizing that they are just symbols is a key to the film, and of course the movie ends on the shot of the cross, once again re-highlighting their importance. Were those symbols a sign of faith or a symptom of their distance from God? There is no wrong answer.

43 minutes ago, Glen said:

The Founder - Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman in the story of McDonald's. B+. Two of my favorite actors, and you learn what a necessary asshole Ray Kroc was.

Watched it yesterday without Kroc's persistence McDonalds would still be a one location restaurant 

10 hours ago, calscuf said:

My wife and I saw Patriots Day tonight.  

I thought it was a good, but sometimes difficult to watch movie.  It won't win anything becsuse it hardly evens mentions New York (along with LA the home to 99% of the Academy voters and terrorism victim capitol of the Universe), it's not about defeating Nazis and/or isn't a Hollywood Circle jerk.

That said, I think I have to move.  My wife won't go to movies in Orange anymore.  Often at the Century 25 off Katella, Mexicans bring children of inappropriate ages into movies.  I told my wife "this is an old white people movie, don't worry" before we went into the theatre.  And when we walked in? All old white people.  She was relieved.

Five minutes before the movie starts, however, two different Mexican families walked in with multiple children under five (in their pajamas carrying blankets).  I'll give the little Mexicans some credit, although they did make a little noise and you could see phone screens of Dora the Explorer or whatever the Mex equivalent is, they could have been much worse.  But WTF? A R rated movie filled with profanity and graphic violence that ended at like 10 pm and you're bringing little Jose?  Don't tell me there isn't any extended family at home to watch the kids, because I'm not buying that.

Anyways, looks like we're moving.

Enjoy living in Portland.

After Hitler on National Geographic channel. Two parts, one hour each. Very interesting. Dealt with the aftermath of WW2 in Europe. The politics, trials, vigilantes, rebuild, orphans, etc. All good stuff that gets forgotten about once Hitler is killed. 

On 1/22/2017 at 9:14 PM, NJHalo said:

After Hitler on National Geographic channel. Two parts, one hour each. Very interesting. Dealt with the aftermath of WW2 in Europe. The politics, trials, vigilantes, rebuild, orphans, etc. All good stuff that gets forgotten about once Hitler is killed. 

cool. i'll check it out!

La La Land 10/10

For the first ten minutes I wasn't sold on this. I didn't care much for the opening.

However, after the first two songs, this movie is a freaking outstanding piece of work. I enjoyed it as much as much as anything I've seen in the past two years. It's so well conceived and executed.

What really struck me about it is that it's not pretentious in the least. It's just fun as hell.

Between this and Whiplash, Chazelle is responsible for two of the best films of the past three years.

Obviously you have never been caught in freeway traffic in downtown LA where everyone eventually gets out if their car and all spontaneously start dancing all to the same music. That's how I wrecked my ankles,  some jackass clay barred and put two coats of wax on his Buick causing three of us to slip off his hood awkwardly.