• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

Completed Gangs of London season 1. I liked everything but the ending which jumped the shark. 

Reveal hidden contents

You cannot take out a skyscraper killing hundreds and have any walk away from it possibilities. Turning businessman/mobster into a terrorist is a dead end plot line. 

6 hours ago, Lou said:

Agree.

Season 2 is better, imo.

Agree about Season One's ending, Season Two stretches things a bit further and I was disappointed that the believability of the show was stretched too far.

Spoiler

I don't think there has ever been a killing in the UK with an automatic weapon and this show has entire militias armed to the hilt. After the first shoot-out the whole city would have been locked down tight and questions would have been asked in parliament, the Metropolitan Police would have gone nuts, but in this show the police don't seem to exist and didn't do anything of note. I didn't like all the resurrections either, think the show really lost its way and I was a big fan of season 1. It was entertaining from a smash-bang-wallop point of view, a bit like a James Bond movie, but lost its grittiness and any sense of being true to life.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

6/10

This was a difficult watch. There was some stuff in there that was well done, but overall not that great.

The pacing was pretty terrible, primarily because the main “conflict” didn’t make me feel anything. This accounts for about the middle 80% of the film in terms of its run. The first and last 10% were perfect, as well as the family dynamic portrayed throughout.

The set pieces were perhaps the least impressive of any Marvel film. It was just meh. They could have done better.

I didn’t really recall all that much of the first film, so I rewatched it yesterday. That movie is damn near perfection. It may be the best Marvel film. That this was made by the same director/writer makes it all the more puzzling.

I understand that they had a difficult job to do. They did a truly wonderful job of paying tribute to Boseman and also making you feel the hurt and rapidity of his passing. It’s important to keep the character of the Black Panther going for many reasons, I just wish they had done it differently.

9 hours ago, Redondo said:

We Own This City on HBO

Only 1 season, 6 episodes

Shorter version of The Shield, but in Baltimore

Greed gets them every time and this is based on a true story

Good show and I enjoyed

Jamie Hector was solid and Jon Bernthal played an excellent Wayne Jenkins

A bunch of us here liked it. Wish they could have found a way to continue the show or have it last longer than a miniseries. For that genre, HBO did well with this show and The Night Of.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:21 AM, WicketMaiden said:

This is brilliant. It's not a prison drama but it has a bit of a Shawshank Redemption feel to it. Brilliant script, acting, direction and production of a genuine human interest story that doesn't need the thrills and spills of modern movie making. Gripping, moving and highly recommended.

image.jpeg.d21e333b6d8a9eb3b4b8eeeeab337530.jpeg

I'll be honest, I thought The Lives of Others was a fine movie but I could never understand why it keeps popping up on so many people's all time great lists. Maybe I need to give it another watch.

On 11/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, Taylor said:

Started watching "Dark" on Netflix. German show. Four episodes in, and it's pretty intriguing.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I loved Dark. I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

The creators of Dark have a new series called 1899 debuting on Netflix this Thursday.

'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' tops box office, scoring second-biggest opening of the year

It was a big weekend at the box office for "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever," raking in more than $180 million in ticket sales across the United States and Canada, per The Walt Disney Co.

The film was viewed in more than 4,396 theaters across North America, bringing in $84 million on its opening day.

The highly-anticipated sequel film to Marvel Studio's "Black Panther" from 2018 brought in an additional $150 million from 50 territories, bringing the total earnings to $330 million.

It was the second-biggest opening of 2022, only falling short to "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness," another Marvel production, released in May.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainment/black-panther-wakanda-forever-tops-box-office-second-biggest-opening-year

19 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I loved Dark. I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

It went in so many directions, and if you watched it as it came out, over years.  That, I can say for myself, I'll probably watch it again, and still get blown away because I'll see things that I missed the first go.

21 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'll be honest, I thought The Lives of Others was a fine movie but I could never understand why it keeps popping up on so many people's all time great lists. Maybe I need to give it another watch.

In my view it's up there with the best. They just got so many things absolutely right: casting; costume; pacing; locations; script; story, which were then very ably brought to life by some excellent and understated acting and direction that's hard to fault. That all leads to a very believable film that grips your attention until you get the ending (which I won't spoil here other than to say it is well executed and stays with you for a while after the film). Just my view.

Having lived through a chunk of the Cold War in Europe and watched on as the wall came down, the subject matter holds a certain extra fascination for us Western Europeans as it all happened right here in the heart of our continent. That may also be a factor in it being so prolific on the all-time lists over here. It's certainly a factor in my particular favouring of it, I love all that KGB / Stasi stuff.

Netflix:  Stranger Things Season 4  Finally got around to watching this.  Then after seeing the previews, realized I didn't remember season 3 much at all, so watched the whole thing.  JMO, but I think this show is close to jumping the shark.  Season 4 just seemed like it was all over the place.  And by the looks of it, season 5 will just be bigger and more outrageous.  It's worth the watch, especially if you are already invested in it.  But it shouldn't be top of the list.

21 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  Stranger Things Season 4  Finally got around to watching this.  Then after seeing the previews, realized I didn't remember season 3 much at all, so watched the whole thing.  JMO, but I think this show is close to jumping the shark.  Season 4 just seemed like it was all over the place.  And by the looks of it, season 5 will just be bigger and more outrageous.  It's worth the watch, especially if you are already invested in it.  But it shouldn't be top of the list.

That's my view, as well. ST was great at the beginning, because it really scratched an itch. But once the novelty wore off, there was a slow downhill movement, imo. Each season was a bit less than the previous ones, though with a few new spices added in (like mullet-boy).

In season 4, I found myself getting annoyed with the original four kids, especially 11 and Mike.

Watched an older flick..

Prime: Poolhall Junkies.  I enjoyed it. A little predictable, but still an entertaining flick.  It stars Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Walken, Rod Steiger and Mars Callahan. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Watched an older flick..

Prime: Poolhall Junkies.  I enjoyed it. A little predictable, but still an entertaining flick.  It stars Chazz Palminteri, Christopher Walken, Rod Steiger and Mars Callahan. 

Kind of a guilty pleasure flick. It's basically Rounders (poker) for the pool community. If you don't have Oscar worthy expectations going in it's just a fun little film like Rounders or 21, for the genre.

Fun fact: That trick shot that Christopher Walken makes in the movie was really him shooting and making it in one shot. I watched some making of the film or behind the scenes thing and they talked about how all the reactions in the movie were real because of it being done in one shot.