• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long of a leash for Detmers…

On 4/14/2022 at 11:17 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Everyone says publicly he wants to return to the team he’s on because it’s the only team that can sign him. 

We talked to Cobb when he pitched against the Angels and it sounded like he just felt the Giants were a better fit for him and gave him a better chance to win. 

I feel like if the Angels were actually his top choice he would have signed with the Angels. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Angel Oracle way too early for a post like this. Detmers is our top prospect and has a lot more to offer out of the rotation than Barria IMO. 

The Angels are going to give him a long leash this season and he's going to have some starts like Ohtani's last start and some solid starts as well. All part of the learning process in the big leagues. 

I get everything being said, if it’s the past 6 years of not contending and having the luxury of learning on the MLB job.

Now that they are looking like possible WC contenders this season, just don’t want to see too long of a leash, unless the other starters are all doing well enough.

Totally agree of course on Detmers having the better stuff.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:18 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Fair point. 

If the question is which side is more responsible for the lack of a deal, Cobb or the Angels, I believe, based on my conversations with him and the Angels, it’s Cobb. You can believe what you want. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Detmers?  He had two AAA starts, put up a 1.13 ERA.  Detmers has made a grand total of 14 minor league starts.

They need to stick with him for a bit.  If they want to they can baby him a bit, skip unfavorable starts if they can or have him tandem start with Barria.

Fans need to be patient with him.

I’m good with that, especially if the other starters are getting it done.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

No, but there were several articles where he said he wanted to come back.

Pretty sure it was The Athletic where he stated he prioritized winning and chose the Giants. I could be wrong, but I’ll look for it

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Im sure he did but the Angels didn't make an offer.

So,  I’d say it’s a good guess that when the Angels didn’t make an offer, he signed with the Giants and then made the statement about winning. Had the Angels made an offer, there was a good chance he’d have signed.

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

How do you know they didn’t?

His interview on live TV where he said that it was a no brainer for him to sign with SF once they made an offer while the Angels had expressed interest but not made a formal offer.  Didn't even need a press pass, just mlbtv and the SFG feed.  He seemed pretty jazzed the Giants moved on him.

Did he lie? 

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

His interview on live TV where he said that it was a no brainer for him to sign with SF once they made an offer while the Angels had expressed interest but not made a formal offer.  Didn't even need a press pass, just mlbtv and the SFG feed.  He seemed pretty jazzed the Giants moved on him.

Did he lie? 

Well there you go. I was just going by what he’d said when I talked to him, but if he was more definitive then, I guess you’re right. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well there you go. I was just going by what he’d said when I talked to him, but if he was more definitive then, I guess you’re right. 

I don't know that I'm right about anything really.  Like you I'm just trying to convey what he said.  For all I know he was attempting to avoid looking like he backtracked from his "I wanna come back" stuff and just said what he thought sounded best.  Either way I harbor no ill will towards him, he did well while he was here and if he got the contract he wanted, more power to him.

I'm a closet SFG fan, the common denominator being the hate of Dodger fans.  I have zero inside info there so anything I will ever say will be from watching their telecasts or possibly an Athletic article, but I'd at least link to those or quote the relevant part of the story -- I have zero insights into the Cobb situation from the Angels end other than your stories. 

Ditto the Rays, I watch a lot of their games just by virtue of being on East coast and waiting for the Angels games to start.