• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell & Variations on Player Development

42 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What Maddon says and does right now, isn't necessarily what is going to happen tomorrow or next week, let alone next month. 

I agree that Adell needs consistent playing time, and preferably at a single position (RF), but it also makes sense to sit him again to A) Optimize their chances of winning this ball game, and B) Remind Adell that he plays when he performs.

It makes sense to keep him on the team until Ward comes back, even if he only gets a handful of starts. At that point either he earns more playing time or he should go to Salt Lake to work on his defense and pitch recognition (or whatever is wrong with his hitting).

We're 4 at bats in and we've already gone from "the kids are ready, we gotta let the kids play" to "we're platooning Adell with a AAAA player, playing him out of position and considering sending him back down for the sake of his development."

6 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We're 4 at bats in and we've already gone from "the kids are ready, we gotta let the kids play" to "we're platooning Adell with a AAAA player, playing him out of position and considering sending him back down for the sake of his development."

My issues are 100% about the say one thing do another BS....   

It  gets old hearing them talk about culture, and energy and vibes and then turn around and do stuff that makes you question their commitment to what they have previously said. 

It's the team that basically said they have nothing to prove and that they're ready to talking about how the plan was to platoon and the sort.

Comes across like a team throwing shit on the wall.

Adell need to play everyday.  You chose to deal with the growing pains when you released upton.  If you don't play him then you are choosing lesser potential talent likely with minimal gain (in the form of Rojas).  

Adell turned 23 yesterday.  And as mature as he seems and comes off, he's still ridiculously young and has minimal experience.  He's nervous.  Or maybe not nervous as much as he is anxious to prove he belongs.  In AAA he was relaxed and didn't look as bad.  In ST he was relaxed and looked really good.  The more PT the better.  

I know Maddon want to win, but is the difference between and Jo Adell have a rough start and Jose Rojas really going to make a big enough difference to justify this?  I don't.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

It  gets old hearing them talk about culture, and energy and vibes and then turn around and do stuff that makes you question their commitment to what they have previously said. 

It's the team that basically said they have nothing to prove and that they're ready to talking about how the plan was to platoon and the sort.

It comes across like the Billy Beane / Arte Howe dynamic in Moneyball. Minasian released Upton so the kids can play, so Maddon just opts to play Rojas instead, because he doesn't have his contract extension.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Right.  The lack of depth already has Joe trying to scramble.  You cut Upton for the same reason you cut Albert.  To give someone better and with a ton more potential a shot.  Take you lumps on those choices for now.  

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It comes across like the Billy Beane / Arte Howe dynamic in Moneyball. Minasian released Upton so the kids can play, so Maddon just opts to play Rojas instead, because he doesn't have his contract extension.

He's already got an option year so you'd hope that isn't driving his thought process..  It just doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence if indeed they are switching course after one bad (disastrous) game.

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah they spent a solid 3-4 years pretty much sticking to their austerity/invest program..  last few seasons they have been all over the place.  

Under Reagins, austerity with international signings but signing Pujols to a monster deal…..Kinda crazy…..DiPoto seemed all over the place to me….signing Hamilton to a monster deal (may have been more Arte), making major trades (which I liked) but awful drafting and international signings….🤷🏼…..Eppler at least tried for some consistency, I guess, albeit with mixed results….signing Upton to a big deal didn’t work very well, which handcuffed him some….FA signings were by in large terrible…

27 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Under Reagins, austerity with international signings but signing Pujols to a monster deal…..Kinda crazy…..DiPoto seemed all over the place to me….signing Hamilton to a monster deal (may have been more Arte), making major trades (which I liked) but awful drafting and international signings….🤷🏼…..Eppler at least tried for some consistency, I guess, albeit with mixed results….signing Upton to a big deal didn’t work very well, which handcuffed him some….FA signings were by in large terrible…

The not spending Internationally under Reagins wasn't any sort of plan, it was a penalty brought on by Clay Daniel's BS.   

Eppler didn't spend on shit the first three seasons, but he did invest heavily in analytics...  While Dipoto talked up his SABR membership and dedication to newfound research the Angels had two guys and no actual department.  Eppler changed all that, they went from nothing to one of the top 5-6 biggest analytics departments, I'm sure they have been surpassed since then, partially because other teams caught on and also invested.  Eppler also marked the Angels return to the international market, they went from a team that traded off it's money under JD to one that at times acquired other teams money and always spent the max.  Between that and the way they spent their dollars on the draft there was a lot of investing into barren systems those 5 years.   The Upton/Cozart deals pretty much signaled they were starting to spend.  The single year FA gambles were pretty much a flop across the board -- then they did the Rendon thing but those first three seasons were as lean as lean gets.

Finally being rid of AP and now Upton, hopefully we see a more balanced approach moving forward.  The willingness to spend big on RP is a new thing that comes with it's own well established risks.   But you have to go all the way back to Downs/Speier era to find a similar approach to the pen -- well if one ignores the Madsen/Burnett comedy.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Is his bat in the line up every day enough to compensate for his defensive woes? As of April 9th 2022 it doesn’t seem like it to me. Then again we should not expect the team to contend so maybe this is a great opportunity to give him the entire season to play at this level 

Then send his ass down or trade if he isnt ready.   My pribl is keeping up in the majors  and benching him two games after a bad night. 

Personally was thought his defense is fine sprung training plating right field.  And unlike batting average fielding performance in majors shouldn't bench different than spring training.

25 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The not spending Internationally under Reagins wasn't any sort of plan, it was a penalty brought on by Clay Daniel's BS.   

Eppler didn't spend on shit the first three seasons, but he did invest heavily in analytics...  While Dipoto talked up his SABR membership and dedication to newfound research the Angels had two guys and no actual department.  Eppler changed all that, they went from nothing to one of the top 5-6 biggest analytics departments, I'm sure they have been surpassed since then, partially because other teams caught on and also invested.  Eppler also marked the Angels return to the international market, they went from a team that traded off it's money under JD to one that at times acquired other teams money and always spent the max.  Between that and the way they spent their dollars on the draft there was a lot of investing into barren systems those 5 years.   The Upton/Cozart deals pretty much signaled they were starting to spend.  The single year FA gambles were pretty much a flop across the board -- then they did the Rendon thing but those first three seasons were as lean as lean gets.

Finally being rid of AP and now Upton, hopefully we see a more balanced approach moving forward.  The willingness to spend big on RP is a new thing that comes with it's own well established risks.   But you have to go all the way back to Downs/Speier era to find a similar approach to the pen -- well if one ignores the Madsen/Burnett comedy.

Don’t know the details about the International penalty with Daniel, just thought it was Arte being schizophrenic….Eppler at least tried to rebuild the farm but his FA signings were a killer, and not just the one year pitching deals….Valbuena, Cozart and ultimately Upton too….You know, in all of the post Stoneman era, the “plan” that impressed me the most was Minasian drafting all pitchers last year…Call me crazy but I loved that….it’s like he said we have no pitching depth and I’m at least going to try and fix it…..maybe it was dumb but it at least was a bold plan….💁

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Don’t know the details about the International penalty with Daniel, just thought it was Arte being schizophrenic….

Daniel was caught skimming money off the bonuses.   The Angels were fined and then nobody in the DR would sign with them because they were tainted.  They were essentially ostracized.  

9 hours ago, Lou said:

That's why I asked if he struggled like this in AAA.  I was thinking the large stadiums might affect his perception.

He doesn’t track the ball well at all. I was wondering if he needed something as simple as a vision check and maybe glasses or contacts. I also remembered a story from years ago about some catcher who’s eyes had become super blurry. They found out he didn’t know he was supposed to clean his contacts each day. I hope that isn’t Adells situation.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The sky in Anaheim early in the season has always been talked up as difficult.  I know you watch a lot of town game telecasts, you'll hear it often. To be honest it's the opposing teams broadcast crews quoting their own players that gives me reason to believe its more than an excuse.  That said, his first step tends to be wonky.  He doesn't read the ball off the bat particularly well, he's just been able to overcome it with his athleticism.  The biggest difference I see with him is that he tends to be more ramped up/over corrects at the MLB level.  He needs to slow things down IMO, but its very likely he is just bad at reading the ball off the bat.

Fair and reasonable.