• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell & Variations on Player Development

What’s funny is that Rojas isnt a very experienced player himself.  He’s just playing Rojas cuz, reasons.  It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire.  The Rojas thing is very bizarre.  This is a bench player at best and he’s taking reps from their most highly regarded prospect/player in a decade.  I guess Adell is playing today.  When Ward comes back they need to send him down to AAA.  Play him every day or don’t.  I’ve never been big on 2nd guessing managers.  Maybe that’s  the Scioscia effect - but I find myself really not liking Maddon often. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

23 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

What’s funny is that Rojas isnt a very experienced player himself.  He’s just playing Rojas cuz, reasons.  It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire.  The Rojas thing is very bizarre.  This is a bench player at best and he’s taking reps from their most highly regarded prospect/player in a decade.  I guess Adell is playing today.  When Ward comes back they they need to send him down to AAA.  Play him every day or don’t.  I’ve never been big on 2nd guessing managers.  Maybe that’s  the Scioscia effect -but I find myself really not liking Maddon often. 

Maddon is such a downgrade from Scioscia it’s disgusting. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maddon is such a downgrade from Scioscia it’s disgusting. 

Scioscia barely had any impact on the games (despite what some would say). 

You can literally watch Joe Maddon insert himself into the game and have a significant impact. Lineups, bullpen choices, the fucking SHIFTS. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Scioscia barely had any impact on the games (despite what some would say). 

You can literally watch Joe Maddon insert himself into the game and have a significant impact. Lineups, bullpen choices, the fucking SHIFTS. 

And my understanding of the shifts from reading IP and Blarg post about it, is they shift away from the actual tendencies of the hitter. Last year this team would have been better defensively if they played each batter straight up. His overall disregard of defense is what has turned me against him. 

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And my understanding of the shifts from reading IP and Blarg post about it, is they shift away from the actual tendencies of the hitter. Last year this team would have been better defensively if they played each batter straight up. His overall disregard of defense is what has turned me against him. 

@Inside Pitch directed me to a website that did real time in game stats and outcomes for both defense and offense which I used to follow the Angels for three games. After which I cleared my browsing history and purged my head of the url so I wouldn't sink further into masochistic behavior, knowing the genius was completely ignoring the stats available and applying random occurrence decision making for lineups and defensive positioning. I was just innings away from cutting. 

58 minutes ago, Blarg said:

@Inside Pitch directed me to a website that did real time in game stats and outcomes for both defense and offense which I used to follow the Angels for three games. After which I cleared my browsing history and purged my head of the url so I wouldn't sink further into masochistic behavior, knowing the genius was completely ignoring the stats available and applying random occurrence decision making for lineups and defensive positioning. I was just innings away from cutting. 

I've yet to put myself through that misery early on.... Giving credit where its due, that's mostly because they haven't done anything to make me want to.  The goofs so far have 100% been on the player IMO... Still don't get why Adell was in LF the other day but whatever.

50 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've yet to put myself through that misery early on.... Giving credit where its due, that's mostly because they haven't done anything to make me want to.  The goofs so far have 100% been on the player IMO... Still don't get why Adell was in LF the other day but whatever.

And now that you've seen today's lineup card?

Adell has "elite exit velo." "I don't think he sees the ball off the bat very well."  Anaheim sky? 

Maybe the guy just sucks. You have to hit the ball to have elite EV. Every team/pitcher now knows to throw Adell sliders and he will strikeout. You have to see the ball off the bat to play the outfield in MLB. Quit making excuses for this guy. I would hope that they have checked his eyes. He needs to go back down and learn to hit sliders or at least recognize them. Learn how to see/catch a flyball or play 1st base. 

IDK, maybe the angels need an overhaul of their minor league coaching staff. Maybe its less to do about poor scouting and more to do about poor development.     

On 4/12/2022 at 2:12 PM, Rollinghard said:

Adell has "elite exit velo." "I don't think he sees the ball off the bat very well."  Anaheim sky? 

Maybe the guy just sucks. You have to hit the ball to have elite EV. Every team/pitcher now knows to throw Adell sliders and he will strikeout. You have to see the ball off the bat to play the outfield in MLB. Quit making excuses for this guy. I would hope that they have checked his eyes. He needs to go back down and learn to hit sliders or at least recognize them. Learn how to see/catch a flyball or play 1st base. 

IDK, maybe the angels need an overhaul of their minor league coaching staff. Maybe its less to do about poor scouting and more to do about poor development.     

Well, they basically already did.

Adell was drafted and largely developed by Eppler's developmental team.

After Eppler was fired and Minasian took over, he has filled out his staff with "his people," so to speak.

It will be interesting to see how the current group of minor leaguers do over time.  

As for Adell specifically - he is still very young, and there is still a lot of development that can be had.  Still, even the best organizational teams have failures - not every prospect ends up being great.  If Marsh, Sandoval, Detmers, etc all pan out well, it will make it easier to accept the busts.