• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Vasgersian still only doing 80-100 games + more broadcasting news

I don't understand the backlash or confusion.  If given the choice of doing remote announcing instead of traveling, who wouldn't want to stay home and be with their family?  It makes sense to me why Gubi signed on to this deal.  I'm assuming Matty V is simply getting paid the big bucks.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

On this board?  Not true. Casual fans, probably. It’s easily noticeable when you are watching the game. There’s a delay. 

Yeah. I mean Vasgersian kind of sucked last year. I had high hopes, but because he was calling the games remotely, he was off by a few seconds with his PBP. 

I mean, it's play by play... not play by wait for it...... play. 

To be fair, Vasgersian is pretty awesome when he's actually in the booth, live at the game. His PBP calling is on point. 

I know it's easy to rag on Arte for being cheap, but I don't think that's the case here.  From an earlier article in the Athletic:

According to a graphic circulating throughout the industry and verified by several sources, the only other TV broadcast team that may not travel is the Los Angeles Angels; that has not yet been determined and is dependent upon the scheduling of specific broadcasters’ needs, though they may travel part-time, sources said.

On the radio side, the Orioles are one of only four broadcast teams not traveling to start the year, joining the Angels, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Toronto Blue Jays. The Dodgers and Angels are not traveling due to broadcaster preference, sources said. 

5 hours ago, Taylor said:

Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste

I've been around since the Disney years

Stole three million fans' souls and faith

I'm sure someone cleverer than I can fill in the rest of the lyrics.

I signed a Cardinal tank

Held him til his statistics stank

When he refused to sit

Showed him the road he could hit

22 hours ago, True Grich said:

Having the broadcast teams not travel sure makes the team look cheap. It’s odd that a major market team can’t have a better broadcast product. It’s just one more thing to add to the list of crap.

Ok what would you rather have?

Broadcast teams on travel or housing for minor leaguers?

When I was in grade school, I had a Motorola radio that was ancient even then and -- turned in the correct direction -- it picked up the Reds' Padres farm team. Deron Johnson, Bench, Morgan and the gang. The announcers were Al Schuss and Al Coupe (Cou-pay). The two Als did all the road games from the KOGO studio, with all the foghorn, pops and whacks spiced with an endless loop of the same crowd. The crowd traveled the old PCL from Seattle and Portland to Honolulu. It was hilarious. Al and Al, I must say, were more competent at calling the game than some of the Angels current group of substitutes.

I think the Angels should move on from Vasgerian. He has too many commitments. I think all of his other commitments are taking away his ability to fully prepare for each broadcast for the Angels. Not being present at games means he doesn't get much interaction with players, coaches, or front office personell .  He doesn't get to really know what is going on in the org. They need a mainstay in the booth.

I think in 2023, Vasgerian is free from MLB network and he'll be the guy full-time. And the Angels knew this when they hired him. The Dodgers wanted him to replace Vin, but wouldn't agree to this initial part time stuff, and so he didn't take the job.

Also, MLB Network needs to add a West Coast Studio. The fact that they go dark at 8 Pm in the offseason (and maybe the season) is embarrassing.