• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Vasgersian still only doing 80-100 games + more broadcasting news

For those who don't have a subscription to The Athletic, here are some highlights:

"The Angels’ radio broadcasters will not travel this year, a source told The Athletic — the team declined to comment on the situation and their TV broadcasters will travel only occasionally, staying mostly at home to accommodate play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian, who hopes to broadcast around 80-100 games or “as many as I can humanly do.” Most will be done out of a Secaucus, N.J., studio."

"The Angels are doing their best to make their partnership with Vasgersian work. While he did step away from his ESPN Sunday Night Baseball duties, his work with MLB Network this year is expected to increase. The shift allows him to work more weekend games, but does not enable him to work many games in-person. Vasgersian will be in the booth for the opening series at home, but the remainder of his April games will be broadcast remote. His Angels schedule is determined on a month-by-month basis.

The Angels’ commitment to Vasgersian, combined with Vasgersian’s commitment to MLB Network, means there’s potential for this remote setup to be long-term. Vasgersian has two years remaining on his contract with MLB Network and said he’s open to broadcasting Angels games full-time in the future.

“That is a very appealing idea,” Vasgersian said. “… It’s something I do think about a lot. I’m not sure I’m at liberty to say, yeah, it’s going to happen, because it’s not all my choice.”

"Vasgersian said he’s comfortable pushing back on the criticism of remote work. He understands the widespread desire for broadcasters to be back at games but believes the job can be done remotely.

“We all have parameters under which we have to work,” Vasgersian said. “Do you want to do it and do it under the guidelines set forth by your employer, or do you want to do something else? If your employer says, ‘This is how we’re doing it,’ your choice is do it that way or go do something else.”

The quotes at the end from Vasgersian make it seem like doing the remotes was an Angels decision, rather than his--which is...interesting.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Did he do 80 games ? Felt like he did like 30

Not sure how many he did last year, but it wasn't that many.  I said "still only" doing 80-100 because there had been talk of him doing a lot more this year--but this makes it seem like half or a little over, which is still disappointing.  Still wish they'd just hire a play-by-play guy who could do the whole season.  I like Vasgersian, but I don't see why they're jumping through hoops to accommodate him in order to potentially secure him once his other contractual obligations expire.

I don’t like part-time approach. I haven’t enjoyed listening to O’Neal so far, although there’s the potential for that to improve. None of this would be necessary if we had a full time guy at the mic. I also don’t understand why they aren’t traveling with the team (all the announcers, not just Matt V.).

None of this would be necessary if Sutton hadn’t messed up.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I don’t like part-time approach. I haven’t enjoyed listening to O’Neal so far, although there’s the potential for that to improve. None of this would be necessary if we had a full time guy at the mic. I also don’t understand why they aren’t traveling with the team (all the announcers, not just Matt V.).

None of this would be necessary if Sutton hadn’t messed up.

Angels and Orioles are the only two teams with neither tv or radio guys traveling on the road with the team. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Did he do 80 games ? Felt like he did like 30

No.

"Vasgersian called about 60 Angels games this season, and he’s hoping to increase that to 80 to 90 next season, he said. He and Bally Sports West are still working out the details for next season."

and their TV broadcasters will travel only occasionally, staying mostly at home to accommodate play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian, who hopes to broadcast around 80-100 games or “as many as I can humanly do.” Most will be done out of a Secaucus, N.J., studio."

Lovely. This means more Matty V HR calls on routine flyballs that land in shallow OF

What the heck is Arte Moreno thinking regarding radio casts?

Does he really want to be compared to the Angelos’ in this way?

At least he finally allowed player payroll to approach $200 million.

I know, still $30 million under tax threshold.

Baby steps 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Two of the biggest stars in baseball and a rinky dink broadcast plan in the second biggest market.

Next up… the Rotolo Chevrolet guy doing play by play.

BTW… I’m only pretending to care about this… but it is strange