• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rod Carew: Angels leadership doesn't want me involved with the club

Taylor

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Rod Carew was 6 for 8 in the last 3 game series against the Royals to put them into the playoffs. 

In that Champioship series against Harvey's Wallbangers, Decinces grounded out with the tying run on in game three, ending the game. 

The Angels were destroyed in Game four when Tommy John pitched like he needed his own surgery. 

Downing grounded out in front of Rod Carew with a runner on second in the final game 5 but the loss was all Luis Sanchez with two out and an 1-1 count gave up a 2 run single to Cecil Cooper. They had kept his bat silent most of the series limiting him to two hits over 19 previous plate appearances.  

But, it's all Carew's fault. 

Didn’t say it was his fault. Said I had no confidence that he would come through in that situation.  Even a single would only tied it up.  And, post was meant to establish it was 1982 and not 1986.  

My impression from reading his book and the interview @Tank and I were able to do, my take is that Carew is a straight-shooter. He has a lot of pride. He has endured quite a bit. I don't get the sense there is really bad blood based off his one tweet on the matter. It really could have been as ranging from him offering to do some instruction/speaking at ST and having been declined, or simply hasn't been extended an invitation. I don't get the sense there's a lot of bad blood or a grudge, just facts. He's asked or thought he'd hear, he hasn't, and he stated it in a tweet and there isn't much more than than.

TBH, after reading his book, he's surprisingly humble and gentle given what he has gone through. He very well could have wound up a very cantankerous, bitter man with a lot of resentment.

Long story short, I think he's just being blunt.

16 hours ago, DMVol said:

Would have to disagree with you....it doesn't have anything to do with Carew's lack of power....I am open to being proven wrong by the stats but I always thought he was average or below in clutch situations, compared to his overall numbers.....i.e., he should  have been better, I guess is what I am saying...flip side (and again prove me wrong with the numbers and I won't be shocked) is that I always thought Bengie Molina was pretty clutch as a hitter....average hitter who upped his game in clutch situations.....   🤷‍♂️

Stats don't really prove or disprove anything.

Career OPS in high leverage situations was higher than his overall numbers but we are talking all of 0.001 better.. LOL.  Mostly he was remarkably consistent regardless of the situation.. 

Overall -- .328/.392/.429
High Lvg -.319/.392/.432
Med Lvg -.338/.398/.438
Low Lvg  -.328/.390/.421

He was pretty shitty in those situations in 81-82, so maybe that's where you got the feeling he wasn't clutch as a whole.  79-80 he went nuts..

If anything he's one of those guys you could point to when arguing that clutch hitters are a myth if for no other reason because while his overall numbers show an amazing level of consistency he had some pretty wild variances year to year.

I still think “clutch” is somewhat contrived.

A guy can hit a grand slam in the first inning and it isn’t considered clutch.

Same guy can hit another grand slam in the fourth inning (team already up 4-0) to make it 8-0 and it isn’t considered clutch.

Then the other team comes back and takes the lead 9-8.

That same guy comes up in the 9th (in the “clutch” situation) and strikes out to end the game and he is considered not clutch?

I guess technically somebody could assess this performance as “he didn’t perform when it mattered most” but isn’t this a bit contrived and silly when this same player delivered the greatest overall performance in the game by a huge margin?

You can say, “he let the team down in the most important moment.”

Or you can ask, “In this game where would the team have been without him?”

Without his two gramd slams, the “clutch” moment doesn’t even exist because they would be down 9-0.

Edited by Dtwncbad

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stats don't really prove or disprove anything.

Career OPS in high leverage situations was higher than his overall numbers but we are talking all of 0.001 better.. LOL.  Mostly he was remarkably consistent regardless of the situation.. 

Overall -- .328/.392/.429
High Lvg -.319/.392/.432
Med Lvg -.338/.398/.438
Low Lvg  -.328/.390/.421

He was pretty shitty in those situations in 81-82, so maybe that's where you got the feeling he wasn't clutch as a whole.  79-80 he went nuts..

If anything he's one of those guys you could point to when arguing that clutch hitters are a myth if for no other reason because while his overall numbers show an amazing level of consistency he had some pretty wild variances year to year.

What about Molina?  Do his numbers reflect much difference in high leverage situations or is that fuzzy memory?

31 minutes ago, DMVol said:

What about Molina?  Do his numbers reflect much difference in high leverage situations or is that fuzzy memory?

No, not a fuzzy memory:

Overall -- .274/.307/.411
High Lvg -.295/.321/.459
Med Lvg -.274/.307/.406
Low Lvg  -.263/.300/.393

Edited by jsnpritchett

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

His base stealing was something watch. If you have the time. Like lots of time. 

I wrote this a while back...

Bengie Molina, one of my all-time favorites announced his retirement today (Feb. 7, 2012). I will miss him for his engaging personality (he was always tremendous with fans), his clutch hitting (I always felt good when Bengie came to the plate with runners in scoring position), and his awesome defense (he won gold gloves in 2002 and 2003).

The one thing he wasn’t known for is his speed or lack of it, so to speak and yet – my fondest memories of Bengie involve a couple events on the base paths.

It started on May 16, 2006 when he was a member of the Toronto Blue Jays and his team was in Anaheim to play the Angels. His brother – Jose Molina was the starting catcher for the Angels that evening. In the bottom of the 6th with Angels leading 3-0, Jose stole second base off his brother Bengie. Jose would score that inning and the Angels would go on to win 8-3, but the fun was just getting started.

The next night (May 17, 2006), in the top of the 2nd in a scoreless game Bengie would try to get a little revenge and attempt to steal a base against his brother. He was gunned down and the Angels would go down 3-0 that night.

But this is not where the story or the memory ends…

Four month later, on September 9, 2006 Bengie would exact his revenge. In the top of the 4th with his team trailing 1-0, Bengie would go lumbering down the base path to steal second (the third and last stolen base of his entire career). He would go on to score as his team would win 2-1.

The smile on his face must have been priceless (hard to tell from my seats). I know I had to smile as I recalled the events of the year leading up to this moment. It was almost predictable. Two brothers were living our their sibling rivalry on major league playing field. It was priceless to watch and something I will always remember.

Edited by True Grich

On 1/22/2022 at 6:36 PM, DCAngelsFan said:

Interesting - what involvement does he have with the Twins?  

Sorry he feels that way -  he was involved with the club post-retirement, but I mean, at this point, I'm not sure what he wants - he retired before most of the current players were born, and other than taking photos with fans in the stadium, I'm not really sure what role he could play.

How about as a roving Minor League hitting instructor. Of course, he wouldn’t be able to teach launch angle but he was the master of top spin ground balls through the infield or hitting against the shift.

4 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

How about as a roving Minor League hitting instructor. Of course, he wouldn’t be able to teach launch angle but he was the master of top spin ground balls through the infield or hitting against the shift.

So he could teach two things that the modern game has entirely abandoned?

On 1/22/2022 at 9:33 AM, Stradling said:

It’s weird because they have honored him when he returned from heart surgery.  He’s involved when someone goes into the Angels HOF. His daughter has a statue at the stadium. This feels like he wants a role (no idea what role) that they are unwilling to give him. 

where is the statue?

On 1/25/2022 at 6:32 AM, Dtwncbad said:

I still think “clutch” is somewhat contrived.

A guy can hit a grand slam in the first inning and it isn’t considered clutch.

Same guy can hit another grand slam in the fourth inning (team already up 4-0) to make it 8-0 and it isn’t considered clutch.

Then the other team comes back and takes the lead 9-8.……

The team is this hypothetical situation sounds very familiar but I just can’t quite put my finger on who it might be….