• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The first MLB baseball game you ever attended?

T.G.

• T.G. changed the title to The first MLB baseball game you ever attended?

My dad tells me my first game was when I was about 18 months old and I spent most of the game going up and down the stairs of the upper deck. 

First game I remember would be in ‘79 and it must have been late in the season. I can remember people chanting “Yes We Can!” That is all I really remember is a full stadium that was very loud and going crazy.  

I wish I knew for certain the details of the first game I ever attended, but I don't.  I believe it was May 23, 1967,. but I can't confirm.  I remember attending a game where the Angels won 5-1 at some point early in my life (whether it was the first game or not, I don' t know) and I thought it was against either the Royals or the White Sox.  And the only box score that matches that is May 23, 1967 when the Angels beat the Royals 5-1. It actually bugs me a little that I don't know.  I know I saw Rich Reichard, Jay Johnston and Jim Fregosi play and all 3 were on that roster.

The earliest game I ever attended that I can confirm 100% is May 9, 1970.  I can confirm that because it was "bat night" and I vividly remember Andy Messersmith beating the Yankees 11-3.  I've been able to verify that one through news articles and the box score.

Two other games I remember specifically were Angels facing off against Vida Blue on July 4, 1971. Vida Blue pitched a gem.

And the Pittsburgh Pirates beating the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on June 9, 1972.  It was the first and only time I ever saw Roberto Clemente play in person.

First game I ever attended was Angel Stadium 1974.  The “Big A” was in Left Field and Nolan Ryan was pitching.  I was 6 years old and they were playing the Rangers.

I don’t remember hardly anything else except my dad got super shit-faced and my mom had to drive us home.  I remember her being pretty pisssd about that.

I attended some games as a little kid, but I don't remember them.

The first game I remember was in May 1998 (I was 9). My dad and I went together and sat in the front row above the RF wall and out of town scoreboard. There was something about that game that got me hooked, and I started following the Angels religiously. I can't even tell you if the Angels won or lost, or even who they played (maybe the Twins?). Although I do recall Jim Edmonds waving back at me from CF between innings (or maybe I imagined that).

1998 was pretty fun. The Angels went 20-6 in June, then fizzled out in August.

My first game was Thursday, June 2nd, against the Orioles at the brand new Anaheim ballpark. My father got tickets from someone at work. They were 2nd deck between 3rd base and home. The game went extra innings, same as the night before and the same result of losing in the 10th. 

What stood out for me was Rick Reichardt was in left field and when they announced his name I was right then and there an Angels fan, we had the same first name. 

Reichardt went 3-5 with 3 RBI, 2 runs scored and an intentional walk. Fregosi was thrown out at the plate trying to score from 1st on a bases loaded double by Reichardt. That would have been the game winning hit. 

Grew up in Kansas and saw Yankees vs KC Athletics on August 26, 1961 when I was 7.

Distinctly remember my dad going to get my older brother and me hot dogs in the 6th inning. While he was gone Tony Kubek and Roger Maris hit back to back homers. My dad came back and asked what happened. Needless to say we got no more food that game.

Yanks won 5-1 and it was Maris' 51st homer on his way to 61!

It was at Angels Stadium in 1992. Probably the worst year to go to an Angels game but I was 5 and all I remember was it being against the Yankees, the Angels won, and I bought a Marlins hat because I liked the color.

I asked my dad about it and he said it was sometime during the summer after school (Public) was out. He mentioned the Angels walking off so I narrowed it down to this:

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199207160CAL

33 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It was at Angels Stadium in 1992. Probably the worst year to go to an Angels game but I was 5 and all I remember was it being against the Yankees, the Angels won, and I bought a Marlins hat because I liked the color.

I asked my dad about it and he said it was sometime during the summer after school (Public) was out. He mentioned the Angels walking off so I narrowed it down to this:

Sounds like we may have been experiencing our first Angels games right around the same time at the same age. 

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Makes sense. July 17th was my older brothers birthday, who is a huge Yankees fan, and his favorite player was Don Mattingly. Likely a birthday present. 

Edited by Second Base

Memorial Park in Baltimore. It was 1982 and Ripken Jr’s rookie year. I was 9 years old and knew very little about baseball. I remember my dad telling me Ripken was going to be a special player. I think they were playing the Twins. To be honest, what I remember most was the parking lot there. It took about 3 hours to get out of it after the game. 

1 hour ago, failos said:

1996 I think. It was for a 1st grade field trip.

edit: maybe it was 1997

41 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Fuckers are going to make a lot of people here feel old. 

Being in New Hampshire I attended a lot of Fenway games over the years. Basically one every summer until...I got to middle school (public) which was 2000 I think. So 8 games in 8 years. Though we'd still go to a game every few years afterwards. Probably seen 15 games there in total. They lost every game we went to until the streak ended in 2003. 

Check out the game on May 16, 2003. Jeff "Mike Trout" Davanon robbed Trot Nixon of a homerun...and then dropped the ball into the field. They still won 6-5.

The next game Trot Nixon literally threw the ball into the stands with 2 outs and allowed 3 runs to score.

So the first two wins I ever saw at Fenway were absolutely retarded. Because of course they were.