• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The first MLB baseball game you ever attended?

T.G.

1964 Crosley Field in Cincinnati. The Reds played the Dodgers, and that was my dad's team. i was four and the only thing i remember is that we had field boxes and there was a tunnel that my dad took me into to walk around to burn off some of my extreme energy.

the first game i remember going to and watching was at dodger stadium to see the dodgers play the brand new expansion montreal expos. maury wills played SS for the expos. i was 9.

Edited by Tank

Spring training, Phillies vs. Cardinals, April 6, 1963, Jacksonville, FL. My father was a lifelong Redbirds fan, and Stan Musial was his favorite player. I saw Musial play before what was to be the final season of his career, and I got his autograph after the game. The Cards won 4-1, but I don't remember much else about the game. I have been trying to get the box score from the game and the local story about it, but I will likely have to visit a library in Jacksonville to get them.

Regular season, Red Sox at Senators, June 18, 1967, DC Stadium in Washington. The Red Sox went on to play in the World Series that year. Washington led 2-0 until Carl Yastrzemski hit a game tying two run homer in the ninth that landed in the Senators' bullpen beneath us (we were in the upper deck in right field). Dick Allen's brother Hank won it for Washington with an RBI single in the tenth. Emmett Ashford, the first black umpire in MLB and a colorful guy, was calling balls and strikes. He tossed Boston manager Dick Williams after a heated argument. This was the first stop on a school trip to DC, still the only time that I have ever been there.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Being in New Hampshire I attended a lot of Fenway games over the years. Basically one every summer until...I got to middle school (public) which was 2000 I think. So 8 games in 8 years. Though we'd still go to a game every few years afterwards. Probably seen 15 games there in total. They lost every game we went to until the streak ended in 2003. 

Check out the game on May 16, 2003. Jeff "Mike Trout" Davanon robbed Trot Nixon of a homerun...and then dropped the ball into the field. They still won 6-5.

The next game Trot Nixon literally threw the ball into the stands with 2 outs and allowed 3 runs to score.

So the first two wins I ever saw at Fenway were absolutely retarded. Because of course they were.

Weren’t you worried about getting AIDS just walking around Fenway and intermingling with Red Sux fans?

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Weren’t you worried about getting AIDS just walking around Fenway and intermingling with Red Sux fans?

That stadium is a dump. Don't let anyone tell you it's an "amazing experience". Obstructed views, uncomfortable seats, smell of piss and 60 year old peanut shells, Red Sox fans. It's a nightmare.

You want to be heckled constantly and get threatened on the subway after the game? Wear the opposing team's hat.

Boston is a great city. Fenway is a blight.

Angels vs. Orioles, though I do not remember what season it was. I am guessing 1987. I remember nothing about the game; I remember being amazed at the size of the stadium. 

My dad was a kid in the San Gabriel Valley when the Dodgers moved to L.A., so of course he became a Dodgers fan. But he bought me an Angels hat and some baseball cards at that Angels game, and thus I became an Angels fan, even though we lived much closer to the Dodgers than Angels. We would go to far more Dodgers games than Angels during my childhood - probably by a factor of 10 - but he never tried to encourage me or bribe me to become a Dodgers fan. 

15 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

That stadium is a dump. Don't let anyone tell you it's an "amazing experience". Obstructed views, uncomfortable seats, smell of piss and 60 year old peanut shells, Red Sox fans. It's a nightmare.

You want to be heckled constantly and get threatened on the subway after the game? Wear the opposing team's hat.

Shit you should have whipped the Yankee out their Red Sox ass. 

23 hours ago, Taylor said:

I attended some games as a little kid, but I don't remember them.

The first game I remember was in May 1998 (I was 9).

Although I do recall Jim Edmonds waving back at me from CF between innings (or maybe I imagined that).

You were 9. You sure he wasn't waving at your babysitter?

My first game was a Mariners game I think in 1981. I was 10 years old. I don't remember who they were playing or anything about the game. I do remember riding with my friend unrestrained in the bed of his dad's Ford Courier pickup truck from Bellevue to the Kingdome. We thought it was great. That would get you arrested today.

I was in Jr High when I attended my first game.  Don't remember the exact date or the opponent... because it didn't matter: I just wanted to see Wally World in 1987!!!  We were living on the central coast of Cali and I didn't follow baseball at the time, but my uncle was a big Angels fan and raved about Wally, so he took my cousin and me.  We drove down, watched the game (actually got Wally's auto, while waiting for him at his car, and Willie Fraser's auto as well) and drove back in the same day...

I was hooked - and obsessed with Wally Joyner and the Angels from that point... And was pretty disappointed to learn while attending subsequent games that you rarely get your idol's auto while hanging out after the game ?@#!%$...

16 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Haven't seen a game at Fenway but I did see The Police in concert in 2007.

Pretty cool actually being in Fenway. We hit some of the bars in the area including one which is under the stadium I think.

Fun time.

Probably 1962. I was 8 years old and living in Philadelphia. Dad took me to see the Phillies at Connie Mack Stadium in North Philly. We took the Bridge Street El and then either a bus or a trolley to the park. I wore my Phillies T-shirt and cap. I couldn't believe how beautiful the field looked. I recall we were on the third base side (equivalent to the View level at the Big A). My hero Johnny Callison hit what I thought was a home run to right field and I stood up and started shouting. It was actually a fly ball to medium right field. My Dad told me to shut up and sit down. That's my memory of the game, along with getting a hot dog of course.

Thus began my history of attending ballgames. I've been at many memorable Angels games since we moved to California in the 1970's. Not so many recently, what with Covid and everything.

Cubs at Pirates at Three Rivers Stadium sometime in 1978. I was 8. It was probably in the summer and I know it was a night game, so I could narrow it down to a few options. 

i remember that I finally started to get interested in what was happening just in time for the game to end. 

On 1/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, True Grich said:

When?

Where?

Who was playing?

What do you remember most?

When? 1958

Where? LA Coliseum

Who was playing? Dodgers vs. Giants (l think)

What do you remember most? My Uncle and I sat out in LF, l remember the giant screen, because LF was so short they erected this huge screen to cut down on HRs

Giants vs. Dodgers. June 30th, 1959. My dad used to work for Farmer John (Clougherty Packing Co.) & got tickets for my upcoming 9th birthday to see my all time BB Hero, Willie Mays. He did not disappoint as he hit a HR & what appeared to be another HR but the ball got stuck near the top of the LF net. Was ruled a 2B. Sam Jones pitched a 1 hitter. The no-no was broken up in the 8th inning with 2 outs when Junior Gilliam laid down a bunt single (what a Prick). This just reinforced my hate for the Doyers at an early age! We sat on the 1st base side between home & 1st. Of course I took my Rawlings baseball glove LoL. Box score attached.    https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN195906300.shtml

On 1/6/2022 at 12:49 PM, True Grich said:

When?

Where?

Who was playing?

What do you remember most?

Milwaukee Brewers at California Angels, 1973, Little League day.

Brewers won, 1-0.

My whole baseball team was sitting in section (approx) 131, & I remember how mesmerized I was during warmups between innings, when the right fielder was playing catch with the center fielder.

How far they seemed to be able to throw effortlessly. 

I remember the concession stands had hand placed black & red lettering on a lit up board selling hot dogs, hamburgers etc. very generic. 

I remember the Angels pitcher was left handed, because of the pickoff move.

In Little League, we didn't use pickoffs yet, and lefty's in Little League were kind of uncommon. 

Every lefty always seemed to be an automatic first baseman back then.

I remember how HUGE the stadium seemed.

After the game, as we were in the parking lot, my father said to me: Someday, when this place gets built up, he said looking into the hills past the outfield, they'll rename this team "The Anaheim Angels".

He was 100% correct. It's a memory I'll take to my grave.