• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels tender Raisel Iglesias the QO (Iglesias rejects)

mmc

29 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

For anyone who's wondering, players who get a qualifying offer have 10 days to accept it or reject it.  They're still free to negotiate with teams other than the one that makes the QO, though.

Could see it being a Will Smith situation if he’s worried about an impending strike, give me your best offers now or I’m accepting the QO

He presumably was raised (an) Iglesias.

Anyhow, good news. Now we have:

1) He accepts it and the Angels have him for $18.4M in 2021, a slight overpay but not horrible. If so, they can either:

A. Let him play out the year and re-evaluate later, or

B. Sign him to an extension in the offseason, for something like +2/$30-33M, which makes the overall payment 3/$48-51M, or $16-17M a year.

2) He refuses it and either:

A. The Angels lose him to free agency and get a draft pick, or

B. They sign to a contract, for something like 3/$48-51M or 4/$60M.

Now it is pretty much a win-win-win situation, although one that still runs the risk of an overpay.

I highly doubt he accepts the QO. I have said it before that he should sign for at least 3 years, to insure financial security in the future. He needs 3 more years to qualify for a pension. If he accepts the QO, then blows out his arm, he is done. No pension.  If he signs a 3 year deal, that locks in his pension in case of injury. Future protected. This contract comes at a pivotable time where he has the most value.  That said, the team that i expect to go after him the hardest  [ other than the Angels ] is Boston. They have the payroll flexability to spend on him.

46 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I highly doubt he accepts the QO. I have said it before that he should sign for at least 3 years, to insure financial security in the future. He needs 3 more years to qualify for a pension. If he accepts the QO, then blows out his arm, he is done. No pension.  If he signs a 3 year deal, that locks in his pension in case of injury. Future protected. This contract comes at a pivotable time where he has the most value.  That said, the team that i expect to go after him the hardest  [ other than the Angels ] is Boston. They have the payroll flexability to spend on him.

I'm not so sure Boston is gonna want to spend big money on a closer. Their head of baseball operations, Chaim Bloom, comes from TB where they find/develop pitching. Maybe it changes now that he's in a place where he has money to spend, but I think he'd prefer to avoid long-term, high-money commitments on a reliever (which is the position that tends to be most volatile).

The team I'd watch for in regards to Iglesias is Philadelphia. Dombrowski is aggressive and has a clear need at closer.

Weren't there posters here that were adamant the Angels would NOT offer him the QO? Not just in one post but in many of their post for months now too. And not that they don't think they should but that the Angels would NOT offer him it. Like they thought they had some kind of inside info

2e3f2bcd-a785-4b91-8e4c-d51dd9892c13_tex

The tweet meant that Raisel got a raise so named him Raised.

25 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I thought that teams could only offer a QO to one player. I see two Mets on this list, Michael Conforto and Noah Syndergaard. Surprised that Justin Verlander got one, given his age and injury history.

No, it is the player themselves that can only receive one QO in their career. Teams can extend QO's to as many FA's as they please. Also the QO system may very well disappear, here, in the next CBA.