• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

18 hours ago, Trendon said:

I know people already speculated about Robbie Ray being the mystery SP that Chuck says the Angels are signing soon, but here's another reason why it could be him: we've heard hardly anything about Ray this offseason. It'd fit the Angels MO of suddenly announcing a free agent signing out of nowhere.

I doubt Stroman has agreed to, or is close to, a deal when he's tweeting non-sense everyday.

I’ve discovered that Stroman really likes the chicken burrito at De—- wait, pretend you didn’t read this.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

This after a couple of days ago when it was reported that the Reds had decided they were not going to trade Castillo.

And It was widely reported and agreed that Berrios would absolutely not sign an extension with whatever team trades for him.

Of course we should listen to all these reports and angles, but the lesson is just because it is reported confidently as accurate, anything reported can end up being 100% incorrect.

Would love to acquire Castillo, sign a closer or back-load a Raisel deal, and then supplement with a cheap RF signing like Soler, Joc, Duvall, Rosario, and perhaps a cheap SP option like Lorenzen, Rich Hill, Danny Duffy as a flier to presumably replace the RF and SP we'd have to deal away.

All of that could keep us relatively close to the $180-$190m mark, so we wouldn't blow past budget.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Would love to acquire Castillo, sign a closer, and then supplement with a cheap RF signing like Soler, Joc, Duvall, Rosario, and perhaps a cheap SP option like Lorenzen, Rich Hill, Danny Duffy as a flier to presumably replace the RF and SP we'd have to deal away.

I’d be on board with a Castillo trade that involves Adell, but I would not trade Marsh.

We can easily find a corner OF as your said (would love Pederson, who can platoon with Upton).

Of course, we’d have to send over considerably more than just Adell, and I’m not sure we are a match for the Reds

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I’d be on board with a Castillo trade that involves Adell, but I would not trade Marsh.

We can easily find a corner OF as your said (would love Pederson, who can platoon with Upton).

Of course, we’d have to send over considerably more than just Adell, and I’m not sure we are a match for the Reds

I'd feel pretty comfortable sending Adell/Marsh, one of Canning/Suarez/Bachman (I like Detmers and Sandoval too much), any of the top SS prospects, and then still one of Barria or someone like Jordyn Adams or a '22 SP draftee, especially if we were able to maybe sneak back one extra piece from Cincy, be it Amir Garrett or a fringe prospect that helps fill a need. Cincinnati hasn't traded particularly well so I think the Angels can make an offer that is fair without getting raked over the coals - but the price will be high. 

Castillo is good but what's most attractive to me is the ~$7.5m salary in 2022. Gives you a lot more room to add to the 2022 club via free agency or salary absorbing trades (like Perry did with Cobb, Fowler, both Iglesiases) while still addressing top of the rotation, without using damn near all remaining budget on one guy and one need. That's hugely attractive, IMO. He's as good a bet as any of the Top 4 remaining FA SPs. Yes it will cost a lot, but you have so much more financial room to address short-term, MLB needs, and Perry did a decent job of that last year on the trade market. The FA market is good for that too this year. Lots of options available for bullpen and RF, not so much cheaply at SS or C, but we may have at least the SS solutions in-house already.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I am not arguing that you are wrong.  Just sharing my opposite opinion. . .

I think Adell’s power could still be a skill that emerges as dominant at the major league level.

Looks like you can get more for Marsh right now than Adell.  I would probably want to trade Marsh over Adell if it meant my return was better—-and hold on to that pure power bat that could be huge.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yep. @Inside Pitch has said they want him from a connection he has.

Wouldn't surprise me if Perry even drafted Bachman with that partly in mind. 

Obviously other stuff went down with Kumar Rocker, but it could be another part of the explanation as to why the Angels went after Bachman a little earlier than he was projected. They might have been drafting purely with intent to get him as a trade piece. Different circumstances, but the Giants really liked Will Wilson before that trade had happened, so it's not totally unusual for something like this to play out.

Edited by totdprods

Part of the deal with Castillo is his contract. He's got two years left and it's very cheap--7.5 this year and Arb next year. They could trade for Castillo AND sign Ray, Scherzer, or Stroman. In that sense, it's worth considering Adell and Bachman and a young SS (Jackson, Placencia). That's a lot I know, but the contract allows you to sign more pitching, and he's a frontline starter for 2 years. Side note--I'm hanging onto K Paris and E Vera no matter what in trade talks. Those are the two with the highest upside in my opinion. 

I think we all believe that Minasian is pursuing all avenues to fix the rotation, so I am not surprised to hear rumors of a Scherzer signing and a Castillo trade at the same time.

But is this an “or” situation or is this an “and” situation??

Could the Angels do both?

On 11/16/2021 at 11:56 AM, nando714 said:

I’m mixed on it but 

angels are gonna have to overpay to get talent here. This isn’t a top destination at the moment. Especially with players that want to contend 

I’ll take this one year deal over any one year deals to a lot of the bargain picking they’ve done in the last 

I’m pretty sure that Scherzer. Will stay with the Dodgers. I just hope something happens soon as I’m tired of waiting to see who they sign.

1 minute ago, ThisismineScios said:

Part of the deal with Castillo is his contract. He's got two years left and it's very cheap--7.5 this year and Arb next year. They could trade for Castillo AND sign Ray, Scherzer, or Stroman. In that sense, it's worth considering Adell and Bachman and a young SS (Jackson, Placencia). That's a lot I know, but the contract allows you to sign more pitching, and he's a frontline starter for 2 years. Side note--I'm hanging onto K Paris and E Vera no matter what in trade talks. Those are the two with the highest upside in my opinion. 

This would also make it a little easier to allow Syndergaard to walk after the year, even if he has a big/healthy 2022. You'd still have a lot of talent in the top three. 

Another thought I had about Syndergaard and letting him walk...wonder if the Angels should kick the tires on Tyler Glasnow? 
They'd maybe have to eat some salary by way of Kevin Kiermaier as our RF, but might be able to nab him for a trade package that was digestible. You'd have a good arm in-house to replace Syndergaard when he walks for a lot less salary. 

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am not arguing that you are wrong.  Just sharing my opposite opinion. . .

I think Adell’s power could still be a skill that emerges as dominant at the major league level.

Looks like you can get more for Marsh right now than Adell.  I would probably want to trade Marsh over Adell if it meant my return was better—-and hold on to that pure power bat that could be huge.

Nothing against Adell, as I think he’ll be a very good MLB player, but having someone who can man CF holds a lot of value.  It doesn’t appear Adell can do this, and Marsh appears to be able to do so, enough to the point that there is conversation that Trout will be asked to move to a corner so that Marsh can play CF.

Corner OFers are a lot easier to come by.  For someone like Castillo, who has two cost controlled years left and is an SP2 minimum, I’d trade Adell.  The key benefit is it would enable us to use payroll to significantly address other issues, too.

However, I’d be very reluctant to trade Determs or Bachman in the process.  I’d be more amenable to including Canning, Suarez, Barria, etc, but I’m not sure an Adell/Canning package is enough of a headliner to acquire Castillo.