• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels reassign Matt Swanson

mmc

20 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

So based on what I'm reading, he got reassigned but didn't want to be reassigned and thus left the organization or is he still with the Angels?  Very confusing based on what I'm seeing.  Some articles say he got reassigned while others saying he's being let go.  Which one is it? 

He was reassigned and it’s up to him whether he stays. He hasn’t decided yet. But I would be shocked if he stays. 

37 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He was reassigned and it’s up to him whether he stays. He hasn’t decided yet. But I would be shocked if he stays. 

Why would you be shocked? Didn't the Angels previous scouting director, Ric Wilson, stay after Swanson took over for him?

47 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I know it’s a business but some of the choices are extreme.  On the other hand, if I was Minasain I’d definitely be creating my own team of professionals.  He took his time but that’s what I’m seeing.

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Just too soon to tell…

I’m still worried Perry is sort of like Reagins, not much authority, just an extension of an Arte+MGR’s wishes rather than having some independent authority…that doesn’t play into this move much, but it could just be replacing an Eppler hire with his own, whether or not that is good or not is unknown.

Gotta say, the Braves FO is looking very efficient in recent years, and their deadline was incredible. I have to hope Perry has the ability to bring those systems and processes and talent into the Angels FO without too much interference from Arte and Joe. 

For the record, I’m not one of those ‘Sell the team Arte!’ guys either, so it’s not some bias towards Arte or old-school. I do think they have a little more influence  than what is good, but winning and talent should overcome those obstacles. They’re just exacerbated and easy to point at as fault when the team is losing.

To me this and the other recent moves shows that Minasian has the go ahead to remake the front office and hold the manager and coaches responsible.  Minasian should sink or swim with his people in the FO.  

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Why would you be shocked? Didn't the Angels previous scouting director, Ric Wilson, stay after Swanson took over for him?

Because that’s what I was told. 

Also, it’s common sense because Swanson is a lot younger than Wilson. He has a much better chance of getting another job that will advance his career than Wilson did at the time he was reassigned. 

42 minutes ago, failos said:

If you were demoted, would you still want to work for your employer?

It doesn’t have to be a demotion.  It could be a position that they’ve identified as better for his strengths.  While I don’t believe that’s what it is it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. 

49 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It doesn’t have to be a demotion.  It could be a position that they’ve identified as better for his strengths.  While I don’t believe that’s what it is it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. 

I have a hard time imagining how that's even possible.  He was the director of scouting.  If they had intention of giving him something that seemed like a promotion they wouldn't have framed it the way they did.  It would have been 'Swanson promoted to AGM' or even if it was lateral it would have been worked out in advance.  They've 'retained' him to give him some runway to find another job.  They didn't reassign him.  They fired him.  

4 hours ago, failos said:

If you were demoted, would you still want to work for your employer?

Generally, I could see why someone who was "demoted" would want to move on. I asked the question because the last person to get removed from the same exact position of "Angels Scouting Director" accepted a lesser role after losing their Scouting Director job.

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

This is a "soft landing", most likely - rather than let him go, or pay him severance, they pay him while he finds another job - I used to think of it as putting them in the "bullpen" now more like the parking lot.  Lets him salvage a little dignity.

We often do that for higher-level execs whose time has come (equally often, it's the guillotine whilst being pelted with missed forecasts ...)

8 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Speaking of In N Out, I drove past the one on Harbor and Orangethorpe the other day and saw a line that made getting out of Dodger stadium last night seem pleasant in comparison.

Which is why we opened a Brea location. And we may be seeing a third Anaheim location.  

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which is why we opened a Brea location. And we may be seeing a third Anaheim location.  

Damn, I can't imagine being in Brea and considering a drive to that Fullerton location for In N Out. I did eat at the one on St. College yesterday and there was virtually no line. There is just something about that Fullerton location that leads to crazy lines. I think a big problem is the one near CSUF doesn't have a drive through. I could see opening another near Disneyland but I can't see that really helping the Harbor store.