• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels reassign Matt Swanson

mmc

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I was pleased with recent drafts, but I really can't get too caught up being bummed about anyone being let go at this point given the last decade of nothing really working.

Well it is tough to fire the guy for what happened prior to him getting there.  And we know farm systems take time to build.   

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well it is tough to fire the guy for what happened prior to him getting there.  And we know farm systems take time to build.   

Just too soon to tell…

I’m still worried Perry is sort of like Reagins, not much authority, just an extension of an Arte+MGR’s wishes rather than having some independent authority…that doesn’t play into this move much, but it could just be replacing an Eppler hire with his own, whether or not that is good or not is unknown.

Gotta say, the Braves FO is looking very efficient in recent years, and their deadline was incredible. I have to hope Perry has the ability to bring those systems and processes and talent into the Angels FO without too much interference from Arte and Joe. 

For the record, I’m not one of those ‘Sell the team Arte!’ guys either, so it’s not some bias towards Arte or old-school. I do think they have a little more influence  than what is good, but winning and talent should overcome those obstacles. They’re just exacerbated and easy to point at as fault when the team is losing.

Swanson was the one guy I was sure would get canned once Perry got acclimated with the system.  Nothing against the job Swanson did, more a case of believing the Minasian/Tamin combo would want to bring in their own guy.  This is also the reason I said I didn't view the 2021 draft as Perry's - it was still Eppler's guys, and whatever scouting happened was done with those scouting principles in place.  

Looking forward to seeing who they bring in and how they handle the draft next season.

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm betting Tamin will play a huge role in deciding who gets hired and who does what.  He's the systems guy (the Driveline guy thanked him personally for bringing him in).  Props to Perry for taking the time to hopefully do it right.

Now let's just hope Arte allows him to get all the resources he needs....

• mmc changed the title to Angels reassign Matt Swanson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/angels-part-ways-with-scouting-director-matt-swanson.html

Originally hired in August 2016 by former Angels GM Billy Eppler, Swanson was tasked with rebuilding a minor league pipeline that was almost completely bereft of premium talent.  (In February 2016, Keith Lawdescribed the Angels’ collection of minor leaguers as “by far the worst system I’ve ever seen” in what was then Law’s eighth year of ranking the farm systems of all 30 teams.)  While there may have been basically nowhere to go but up, the Angels did upgrade their prospect depth through five years of Swanson’s drafts, highlighted by such names as Jo Adell, and current MLB.com top-100 prospects Reid Detmers and Sam Bachman.

Overall, however, Los Angeles has to get much improvement from its farm system.  Law’s preseason organization ranking from this year placed the Angels 23rd, and Baseball America’s midseason organizational ranking slotted them 25th (though Adell, Detmers, and Brandon Marsh all moving to the majors lowered the ranking).  To date, the Angels have had nine players from the 2017-21 drafts appear on the big league roster, though that low number isn’t necessarily unusual considering how recent these drafts were, how long it usually takes even blue-chip prospects to hone their skills for the majors, and the pandemic’s impact on the last two minor league seasons.

Given all these factors, it is perhaps unfair to point the finger squarely at Swanson for the Angels’ lack of young impact players in recent years (and, the highly-touted Adell could certainly still blossom).  It could be that general manager Perry Minasian wants his own hire in place as scouting director, or it might stem from an overall change in direction in how the organization has been drafting.  As Law noted in his 2021 organizational rankings, “if we were just ranking systems by tools…the Angels would be in the top half, maybe the top 10.  They love athletes, targeting them in the draft and on the international market, but developing those guys when their baseball skill level starts out low is a huge challenge for any organization.”

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Gotta find the Million Dollar Arm!

million dollar arm.jpg

show me the curve was so weird, because it had these big name actors, but whoever wrote the script just knew nothing about baseball. everything was so counterfeit.

it reminded me of a poker movie where everybody has huge holdings and nobody actually knows the rules of poker.

oh my god, he can't hit a curveball! nobody's ever thrown one of those before!