• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Andrew Heaney looks back on Angels career with ‘regret’

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Andrew Heaney has a new uniform, practically no facial hair and a better spot in the standings.

Otherwise, not much has changed in the way he pitches though.

Heaney returned to Angel Stadium as a member of the New York Yankees this week, coming back for the first time since the Angels traded him just before the deadline on July 30.

The Yankees already moved Heaney to the bullpen to make room for Corey Kluber, who came off the injured list to start against the Angels on Monday night. Heaney followed him to the mound and gave up a home run to Shohei Ohtani.

In Heaney’s five starts with the Yankees, one was very good, one was very bad and the rest looked similar to the middling results he had for most of his time with the Angels.

As he stood on the field at Angel Stadium – clean-shaven, because of the Yankees’ club policy – he described the “regret” from his uneven performance with the Angels.

“I was always kind of league average,” Heaney said. “I think it was tough, kind of feeling like we never accomplished what we were seeking to.”

Heaney posted a 4.51 ERA in 102 starts with the Angels. His best extended stretch was in 2018, when he had a 3.88 ERA over 22 starts before hitting a rough patch in September.

He has a 6.43 ERA with the Yankees.

It was something of a surprise that Heaney was traded at all because he had pitched so inconsistently with the Angels. He said once he got the news that he had been dealt, he hurriedly packed his things and went to the ballpark to pack up his baseball gear.

He said his goodbyes and then it hit him as he left.

“The worst feeling was walking out of the clubhouse,” Heaney said. “The show doesn’t stop. Everything keeps going. The Angels are gonna play a game that night. They’re gonna replace you with a different pitcher on the roster. They’re gonna keep doing their thing. In that moment it was just kind of sad to be leaving what I was familiar with, and then going on to something new. But time heals all wounds. Just getting acclimated in New York, and everything’s been great here.”

NO COMMENT

Raisel Iglesias is set to be a free agent at the end of the season, and when Manager Joe Maddon was asked if he’d like to have his closer back next year, he declined to answer, with a smile and a story.

“I’ve learned not to negotiate publicly,” Maddon said. “That was brought to my attention years ago, with Chuck Finley. I was the interim manager and I was asked the similar question. I’m going off on Chuck, how great he is, how wonderful he is. How could you not want Chuck?”

Maddon said that Bill Bavasi, the Angels’ general manager at the time, then instructed him “don’t ever do that.”

“I can’t negotiate against ourselves,” Maddon said.

NOTES

Shohei Ohtani played catch on Tuesday afternoon. Ohtani was originally scheduled to pitch on Tuesday, but he was scratched because his wrist was sore from being hit by a pitch on Saturday. Maddon said if Ohtani did well playing catch, he would progress to a bullpen session, and they’d determine when he can pitch again. Maddon reiterated that the Angels have no plans to shut down Ohtani as a pitcher. …

The Angels activated right-hander Jimmy Herget, a 27-year-old who had pitched for the Cincinnati Reds and Texas Rangers over the past two seasons. The Angels signed him as a minor league free agent after the Rangers released him. He has a career 4.20 ERA in 30 big league innings. …

Infielder Kean Wong was optioned to create a spot for Herget. Wong had been recalled a day earlier. …

Reliever Oliver Ortega was also with the Angels on Tuesday, but he was not activated. Maddon said he could be one of the players added on Wednesday, when the roster expands from 26 to 28 players for September. Ortega has a 5.48 ERA this season at Double-A and Triple-A. …

Shortstop José Iglesias has been on the bench for four of the past five games as the Angels give Jack Mayfield a look at shortstop. Maddon said he’s talked to Iglesias, who has been “great, really respectful,” about the change in his role. Iglesias is a free agent at the end of the season.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Packy Naughton, 0-0, 1.69 ERA) vs. Yankees (RHP Gerrit Cole, 13-6, 2.80), Wednesday, 4:07 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

Maddon can’t just say “Yes Iglesias has been very good and we need a very good closer next year”  ?

Every Maddon answer has to be cute?

If Maddon thinks that simple answer would actually handcuff or compromise the front office in a contract negotiation, then he is an absolute fool.

But he doesn’t think that.  The reality is he just defaulted to his normal mode of taking every opportunity to give an answer that paints a picture that he is a seasoned nuanced, clever, unique treasure of a manager.

Wow Joe.  We were wondering about Iglesias next year, but thanks for reminding us how insightful and sophisticated you are.  

Barf.

My problem with Heaney which you can clearly see has translated to his tenure with the Yankees is his demeanor. @Chuckster70frequently talks about that "John Lackey" bulldog type pitcher that we seem to never have consistently since we lost Skaggs.

Heaney optimises the opposite of that, he showed promising stuff but was always rattled easily and could cruise to 2 outs in an inning and then just mentally collapse getting that final out.

Going to the Yankees is the worst possible place for him, he would have honestly been better off in Cleveland or Tampa, I don't see him as a Yankee next season.

48 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Maddon can’t just say “Yes Iglesias has been very good and we need a very good closer next year”  ?

If Maddon thinks that simple answer would actually handcuff or compromise the front office in a contract negotiation, then he is an absolute fool.

But he doesn’t think that.  The reality is he just defaulted to his normal mode of taking every opportunity to give an answer that paints a picture that he is a seasoned nuanced, clever, unique treasure of a manager.

Wow Joe.  We were wondering about Iglesias next year, but thanks for reminding us how insightful and sophisticated you are.  

Barf.

I am not a Maddon fan, but I would not read too much into his response.  He is simply doing his best matador move trying to avoid a future gotcha.  The question was worded in a way that prevented Maddon from speaking about Inglesias' performance.  I suspect Joe would have provided a more appropriate answer if the question was "How important has Inglesias been for the Angels this year?" 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Barf.

Hey, dumbass, he was told by the front office not to make those statements you say he should. You go out of your way to make it clear you are a braying jackass. 

23 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I am not a Maddon fan, but I would not read too much into his response.  He is simply doing his best matador move trying to avoid a future gotcha.  The question was worded in a way that prevented Maddon from speaking about Inglesias' performance.  I suspect Joe would have provided a more appropriate answer if the question was "How important has Inglesias been for the Angels this year?" 

I get it.  I just find his answers and comments to often be an eye roller where there is a small element of self promotion.

If he wants to actually BE sophisticated, his answer would have been better than that.

Just now, Blarg said:

I understand that. But you are wrong, again. 

So we have different opinions.  Oh, and I am often wrong.  And I can be wrong or right without calling someone else with a different opinion a braying jackass.

Is it ever going to occur to you that people post on message boards as openly sharing their opinions and thoughts rather than campaigning for agreement?

Thanks for sharing your opposing opinion while going straight to name calling.

Take a Midol.

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hey, dumbass, he was told by the front office not to make those statements you say he should. You go out of your way to make it clear you are a braying jackass. 

Somebody piss in your fruit loops?

2 hours ago, John Taylor said:

My problem with Heaney which you can clearly see has translated to his tenure with the Yankees is his demeanor. @Chuckster70frequently talks about that "John Lackey" bulldog type pitcher that we seem to never have consistently since we lost Skaggs.

Heaney optimises the opposite of that, he showed promising stuff but was always rattled easily and could cruise to 2 outs in an inning and then just mentally collapse getting that final out.

Going to the Yankees is the worst possible place for him, he would have honestly been better off in Cleveland or Tampa, I don't see him as a Yankee next season.

Yeah, I miss Lackey and Weaver with respect to that bulldog mentality on the mound. 

Ohtani is never going to be that guy unless he changes and I don't see that type in any of our other guys on the hill yet either. 

I hope to God we sign Max Scherzer in the offseason. Not only could we use his performances from the hill, but also his passion and bulldog mentality  you'd think would rub off on his teammates. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I miss Lackey and Weaver with respect to that bulldog mentality on the mound. 

Ohtani is never going to be that guy unless he changes and I don't see that type in any of our other guys on the hill yet either. 

I hope to God we sign Max Scherzer in the offseason. Not only could we use his performances from the hill, but also his passion and bulldog mentality  you'd think would rub off on his teammates. 

Ohtani definitely has a bulldog mentality.  He bears down when he needs to.  He's just not demonstrative in his actions.  He doesn't have to be.  His pitching speaks for him. 

Lots of athletes can be bulldogs without pumping their fists, screaming "F Yeah," etc.

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

Ohtani definitely has a bulldog mentality.  He bears down when he needs to.  He's just not demonstrative in his actions.  He doesn't have to be.  His pitching speaks for him. 

Lots of athletes can be bulldogs without pumping their fists, screaming "F Yeah," etc.

But emotions are good for baseball...so I am told. Apparently, in your face emotions connects with the younger fans.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

But emotions are good for baseball...so I am told. Apparently, in your face emotions connects with the younger fans.

I like seeing the players show emotion... I just don't think it's a prerequisite for having a bulldog mentality.

9 hours ago, John Taylor said:

Not sure if I am reading your post correctly, but I will have to disagree if you are proposing that Skaggs was a "Bulldog" type of pitcher.  He never gave me that impression.