• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Somewhat odd update on Trout from Maddon

I'm usually not a tinfoil hat-type of guy, but at this point, some of these updates are really starting to make me think there is something fishy going on.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/liveblog/dodgers-angels-live-updates-news-analysis?p=mike-trout-feeling-better-but-return-date-remains-undecided

"Almost 12 weeks since Mike Trout suffered a right calf strain, the Angels still don’t have a return date in mind for the three-time MVP.

“He’s doing a lot of work with the trainers,” manager Joe Maddon said Sunday. “I just talked to him yesterday. He said in a very upbeat way, ‘I’m feeling better.’ So he’s going to continue to do a lot of stuff with our training staff.”

The Angels have been echoing a similar message the last several weeks, as Trout’s absence has stretched ever-further past an initial six-to-eight-week timeframe.

After he had begun more on-field activities last month -- including outfield drills, baserunning and batting practice -- Trout has since returned to doing mostly behind-the-scenes work with the Angels’ training staff the past several weeks.

I don’t know to what extent he’s doing baseball activity,” Maddon said. “I’m sure he’s sneaking into the cage, doing things like that. For the most part, he is feeling better. And he’ll continue to work more on the kind of stuff that you’re not going to see, to continue to strengthen that [calf] and test it in their way, whatever the method is our staff wants him to test it.”

Maddon said that for as difficult as the physical rehab has been for Trout, there’s a mental component to his recovery process too. While recent doctor visits have all returned good news on the progress of his calf injury, Maddon said, “it’s still up to you, the athlete, to push it to the point where you feel comfortable.

“You have to get to that point where you do something without thinking about it. And that sometimes takes a while. You don’t want to go back after all this good rehab. You don’t want to go backward, especially right now. And that’s always in your mind.”

Trout, who turned 30 on Saturday, has played just 36 games this season and will still require a minor-league rehab assignment before he returns to the Angels lineup.

“This is such an individual thing,” Maddon said. “Everybody feels differently. And like I said, he’s doing better, the doctors like the healing process. But we’re still not at the point we can tell you he’s going to go out and play some minor-league baseball.”

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I don't find that update odd. It's disappointing that it's taking so long, but everyone heals differently.

I guess my point is that Maddon has now said in multiple interviews that Trout is basically medically fine, but yet it still doesn't seem like he's anywhere near coming back.  I can't remember a manager saying something like that on multiple occasions about a player.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

I guess my point is that Maddon has now said in multiple interviews that Trout is basically medically fine, but yet it still doesn't seem like he's anywhere near coming back.  I can't remember a manager saying something like that on multiple occasions about a player.

1 minute ago, failos said:

It’s disturbing how Maddon is clueless about Trout’s progress. What kind of manager is he?

This, too.

1 minute ago, failos said:

It’s disturbing how Maddon is clueless about Trout’s progress. What kind of manager is he?

It’s possible he knows more than he’s saying, or perhaps he’s been hanging with Rendon and doesn’t care too much.  Too blessed to be stressed….

Just now, Revad said:

It’s possible he knows more than he’s saying, or perhaps he’s been hanging with Rendon and doesn’t care too much.  Too blessed to be stressed….

It seems like he’s deflecting, but there are better ways to do it.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

yeah, that's exactly the kind of people rendon and trout have shown themselves to be over their careers. this attitude being parroted is disrespectful to injured players who have earned a far greater level of respect.

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

serious answer is he's the "on field manager" and trout is not on the field. he gets updates from those who are employed for "off the field" members.

“I don’t know to what extent he’s doing baseball activity”

That’s an unacceptable answer. The manager should be aware of the franchise player’s rehabilitation progress.

3 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

It kinda sounds like Maddon is guilt tripping Trout by saying the reason he's still out is because of himself. This is my interpretation of it because I'm biased and dislike Maddon as manager. That is my hot take and I will not be providing any proof supporting this claim

I mean, that's kinda what I'm saying, too. 

15 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

It kinda sounds like Maddon is guilt tripping Trout by saying the reason he's still out is because of himself. This is my interpretation of it because I'm biased and dislike Maddon as manager. That is my hot take and I will not be providing any proof supporting this claim

Agree.  Seems like an unnecessary add on by Maddon.  

A's winning 5-1 today, while the Angels are down 5-1.  If those patterns hold, the Angels will be 8 games back of the 2nd WC with 50 games to go for both teams.  If the A's go .500, the Angels need to go 33-17 just to tie.  Even if the A's go 20-30, the Angels still need to go 28-22 to catch them.

Just shut down Trout and stop these silly non-updates. 

Edited by jsnpritchett