• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Potential new CBA question

There’s been talk that a new CBA could include lowering years to FA from 6 years to 5 years.

Would that only apply to players having not debuted in MLB yet?

If so, would it be prudent to have Marsh, Detmers, and maybe Bachman all called up by August/September, to essentially save that 6th year?

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Nah.  This amounts to "start the clock now, in case someone winds the clock forward later".

Just as much chance you shoot yourself in the foot with such a move, no?

But wouldn’t only a month or so of that clock in 2021 essentially still preserve all 6 years of control through 2027?

47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

But wouldn’t only a month or so of that clock in 2021 essentially still preserve all 6 years of control through 2027?

It depends on how many other players are in the 2-3 year group.  You become a super 2 if you're in the top 22% of service time between 2 and 3 years.  So it would depend in large part on what other teams do with players also.

If you put a 2021 draft pick like Bachman on the roster for a full month this year, you're giving him a head start on anyone else in the 2021 college draft class as far at that top 22%.  Yes, you can send him down next year, but if he's ready, say at the beginning of 2023 - you're now in a position of having to send him down until June 1 or so (instead of May 1) to keep him out of super 2 status.

One way to look at the negotiations is to picture them like two teams negotiating a trade, except instead of players and prospects, it's rules and money, and instead of Yankees and Angels, it's the owners and players association.

PA gets five years of team control instead of six, in exchange for expanded playoffs and profit margin for the owners. 

PA gets universal DH in exchange for teams being able to trade draft picks. 

PA gets a higher salary floor, forcing small market teams to spend in exchange for a more slotted or regimented free agent system that saves owners money on top free agents. 

PA gets the removal of service time manipulation in return for increased owner control over gameplay, which includes banning the shift. 

Lots of changes coming. Most for the better, I think.

I think the bigger issue now for lower tier players is the shuttle to and from the minor leagues, not to replace a player on the IL but to be a temporary replacement for a slot left open for the purpose of rotating players with options in to and out of the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

PA gets the removal of service time manipulation in return for increased owner control over gameplay, which includes banning the shift. 

I don't give a shit about the shift. It is used because players today are devoid of hitting skills outside of pulling the ball. Like the dinosaurs they can all sink into the proverbial ooze and let those that are more developed take their place. This is a self correcting situation as teams will adopt using players that can use all fields. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

One way to look at the negotiations is to picture them like two teams negotiating a trade, except instead of players and prospects, it's rules and money, and instead of Yankees and Angels, it's the owners and players association.

PA gets five years of team control instead of six, in exchange for expanded playoffs and profit margin for the owners. 

PA gets universal DH in exchange for teams being able to trade draft picks. 

PA gets a higher salary floor, forcing small market teams to spend in exchange for a more slotted or regimented free agent system that saves owners money on top free agents. 

Lots of changes coming. Most for the better, I think.

Do you know where discussions stand regarding the electronic strike zone?  I would think the PA would like this one.  
I like the idea of still having an umpire do the actual call with the ability to override though.  If it comes down to the umpire reversing a legitimate call, then they are graded down later and possibly relieved of umpiring at the MLB level.  As you say, lots of changes coming, most of them solid improvements.  

38 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I think the bigger issue now for lower tier players is the shuttle to and from the minor leagues, not to replace a player on the IL but to be a temporary replacement for a slot left open for the purpose of rotating players with options in to and out of the bullpen. 

I don't give a shit about the shift. It is used because players today are devoid of hitting skills outside of pulling the ball. Like the dinosaurs they can all sink into the proverbial ooze and let those that are more developed take their place. This is a self correcting situation as teams will adopt using players that can use all fields. 

I'm with you. If you want to beat the shift, then exploit it. If teams and players are too stupid to do that, them they deserve to fail. 

The problem is that teams aren't adjusting and the result is a lot of strikeouts and ground outs to short RF. So MLB will artificially adjust what teams should've adjusted already. 

32 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Do you know where discussions stand regarding the electronic strike zone?  I would think the PA would like this one.  
I like the idea of still having an umpire do the actual call with the ability to override though.  If it comes down to the umpire reversing a legitimate call, then they are graded down later and possibly relieved of umpiring at the MLB level.  As you say, lots of changes coming, most of them solid improvements.  

If I had to guess, I'd say an electronic strike zone is still a long way away. It would be a huge adjustment for some players to try and make in one year. 

Personally, I say the sooner the better, but umps have a union too and you know they'll push back on that. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

when @totdprodsand i interviewed rod carew, one of the things he talked about what the failure of hitters to adjust to the shift.

It's ruining the game. Rod sees it, and so do fans. The strikeouts are just bonkers now too. Sometimes I wonder, if there's a way to curb swinging for the fences. Maybe require larger field dimensions, deaden the baseball to pre-2015 levels, make strike outs after a certain number worth more than one out. Stolen bases have plummeted too. Maybe limit the number of throws to first base, or make 2B bigger to shorten the distance? 

I just hate that enacting this change in the game will require league oversight. Teams refuse to adjust and it's just killing the watch ability of it all. I know Theo Epstein is really passionate about forcing these changes and restoring the former glory of the game, now that's he's left a front office. Hopefully the commissioners office listens.