• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Home run derby captains

Garret Anderson sku'd after winning the HR Derby and ASG MVP.

I think this is where you will find a correlation between the HR derby slump and player.  GA was never a HR hitter.  So he changed his swing for the HR Derby.  You could tell some hitters are clearly a different hitter in the HR derby.  Fielder comes to mind as a power hitter that changed his swing just for the HR derby.  

Trumbo on the other hand has a natural home run swing.  When you watch him last year in the HR derby, it was the same swing as any old batting practice.  He just punishes the ball regardless.  

It would be funny if he did his concentration stare at the bat before every at bat for the HRD though.  

Its a common thing for players to come out of the derby and struggle with their swing. I watched Trumbo all last year and it wad like night and day from the beginning of the season. He looked almost as bad as Hamilton does right now. Now he is approaching the ABs much better. Have you never heard of this happening to a player?

But whatever, statistical PROJECTIONS mean a lot more then actually watching his approach at the plate and seeing his ACTUAL stats. He didn't just regress, he completely fell apart.

He did just regress. That's why they call it regression.  You look a lot worse while it happens.

Most players don't struggle coming out of the home run derby.  In fact, it's uncommon.

Biggest show of regression was a 24.4 percent home run to flyball rate in the first half and just 15.5 percent in the second half. 

It's popular to assume correlation = causation, but the home run derby really had nothing to do with it.  At all.

I think this is where you will find a correlation between the HR derby slump and player.  GA was never a HR hitter.  So he changed his swing for the HR Derby.  You could tell some hitters are clearly a different hitter in the HR derby.  Fielder comes to mind as a power hitter that changed his swing just for the HR derby.  

Trumbo on the other hand has a natural home run swing.  When you watch him last year in the HR derby, it was the same swing as any old batting practice.  He just punishes the ball regardless.  

It would be funny if he did his concentration stare at the bat before every at bat for the HRD though.  

A player changing his approach for 40 MPH pitches doesn't change how you approach a normal at bat.

Brandon Inge after his regression

“We’re professionals. As Albert Pujols or Ryan Howard said, you can make adjustments. It won’t stick with you anyway. Someone once told me it takes 30 days for muscle memory to become habit. I wouldn’t think that few swings in one night would affect you.”

Please don't send Hamilton. It might ruin his swing.

Or send him. It might be opposite and make him better.

Now C'mon, if truth be told, wouldn't you tune in to see Hamilton striking out multiple times in the derby?