• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A’s vs Angels: payroll discrepancy

2021 Oakland A’s - $75 million 1st place AL West

3 playoff appearances in the last 3 years

2021 LA Angels - $177 million last place AL West

0 playoff appearances in the last 3 years

Arte is basically outspending the A’s by $100 million to put out a vastly inferior product. He hasn’t been shy about spending money. In fact, in 2004 when he went on a spending spree, he brought in some really good players and the next 6 seasons was arguably an amazing era of Angels’ baseball success.  

He continued on with this philosophy of spending money to fix roster issues, and it has netted players who have vastly underperformed.  At some point, I’m hoping he learns that his approach isn’t working and will change it. He doesn’t have to go full on A’s Moneyball. But, it’s really frustrating to see a team that is being paid $100 million less having the best record in the American League. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And you bitch about Arte.  

Because he wastes so much money on the wrong people.

Trout’s new contract is the only big one so far that hasn’t bitten him in the arse over the past decade.

It’s almost comically bad.

You build a strong farm and supplement with good trades like the A’s do, and then you should spend to retain enough of the good ones and replace the others with those on the farm or via smart trades (not rash ones).

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Because he wastes so much money on the wrong people.

You build a strong farm and supplement with good trades like the A’s do, and then you should spend to retain enough of the good ones and replace the others with those on the farm or via smart trades (not rash ones).

Ok and the A’s owner has more money than Arte and refuses to use it.  Trust me if this was A’sWin.com you’d be equally mad at their owner.  Also we would all lose our shit when he trades away our home grown talent every 3-5 years.  If you don’t believe that then you don’t know yourself.  

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok and the A’s owner has more money than Arte and refuses to use it.  Trust me if this was A’sWin.com you’d be equally mad at their owner.  Also we would all lose our shit when he trades away our home grown talent every 3-5 years.  If you don’t believe that then you don’t know yourself.  

I would at least be seeing a contender play, and not this same old act for six years.

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

I would at least be seeing a contender play, and not this same old act for six years.

Yea, for a few years you would see a “contender”, then you would see 100 loss team for a few years, then a “contender”.  Don’t forget, I remember you when we were a contender.  

2 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

2021 Oakland A’s - $75 million 1st place AL West

3 playoff appearances in the last 3 years

2021 LA Angels - $177 million last place AL West

0 playoff appearances in the last 3 years

Arte is basically outspending the A’s by $100 million to put out a vastly inferior product. He hasn’t been shy about spending money. In fact, in 2004 when he went on a spending spree, he brought in some really good players and the next 6 seasons was arguably an amazing era of Angels’ baseball success.  

He continued on with this philosophy of spending money to fix roster issues, and it has netted players who have vastly underperformed.  At some point, I’m hoping he learns that his approach isn’t working and will change it. He doesn’t have to go full on A’s Moneyball. But, it’s really frustrating to see a team that is being paid $100 million less having the best record in the American League. 

The Angels had great farm systems in the Bill Stoneman era. Spending + developing talent usually equates to sustainable success over many years. Bill Stoneman was also pretty successful in the talent he was able to bring in through free agency.

15 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Didn’t Billy beane leave the A’s ? And I’d be interested to see how much the Angels spend on development and analytics vs the A’s. 

Wikipedia says he is "the executive vice president of baseball operations and minority owner" of the As. David Forst is the GM, has been since 2015.

4 minutes ago, ScottT said:

If that was a requirement, this... and every other forum... would be dead.

It is remarkable.  And deserves to be brought up repeatedly. The Angels are certainly failing at some things.

And it’s maddoning (see what I did there) that it’s never been fixed.