• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How many jobs have you had?

It seems like the pension thing is unheard of anymore outside of government jobs. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but probably not many. Plus people don't seem to stick with employers the way they used to, and vice versa. My industry is all about who has a contract for what project, so people change jobs constantly. It's either because the company they work for loses a project and they get laid off, or another company gets a big contract and lures a bunch of people away from the companies they're currently at. I've even seen one company lose a contract, lay off all the people on that project, then another company in town pick up that same contract and pretty much hire the exact same workforce that had been doing it before. Anyhow, it's pretty rare to find someone that has been at a company more than 5 years (at least below the exec level). 

11 minutes ago, Don said:

It seems like the pension thing is unheard of anymore outside of government jobs. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but probably not many. Plus people don't seem to stick with employers the way they used to, and vice versa. My industry is all about who has a contract for what project, so people change jobs constantly. It's either because the company they work for loses a project and they get laid off, or another company gets a big contract and lures a bunch of people away from the companies they're currently at. I've even seen one company lose a contract, lay off all the people on that project, then another company in town pick up that same contract and pretty much hire the exact same workforce that had been doing it before. Anyhow, it's pretty rare to find someone that has been at a company more than 5 years (at least below the exec level). 

I got a nice pension from the company I worked 14 years for.  Nice to get last year

21 minutes ago, Don said:

I get a pension with my employer. Not a government job. 

I had four jobs in college: worked the front desk at the dorm, worked security, worked for my dad’s business (summers), and worked at a restaurant as a waiter. 

One job in law school - a firm I clerked for. After law school, I went law firm (1 year), family business (15 months), law firm (14 months), law firm (5 months), law firm (4.5 years), law firm (1.5 years) and law firm (5.5 years; current employer). 

In high school I was a busboy at a steak and seafood place, a gas station attendant, and helped my uncle as a janitor in a building where he was maintenance superintendent

11 years Air Force

Many different contract gigs involving military aircraft mods, pubs, and training in many locations around the globe

currently training devices manager at a Saudi air base although the reason they keep me is that I'm one of the few people left on Earth who can keep their obsolete hybrid simulator running

On 3/19/2021 at 8:55 AM, cals said:

Wonderful, now we get to hear about all the BJs Brandon has had.

Meh. I'm sure most here have gotten knobbed by the chick in customer service that is quiet but decided to go over the top with the tequila at the company gathering and decided to let her hair down.

Edited by Brandon

Tough to answer because of technicalities. If I started a new company from the ground up but it bombed, does that count because I had my CPA do the LLC even though the income or longevity lacked ? Or if I invest in a start up or someone else's company does that count if I get a return, but am not on payroll?

I kind of just bounced around for a bit out of high school figuring out what I liked or wanted to do working entry level type shit. Found something and have been doing it over 20 years. Sprinkled in entrepreneur type companies here and there...some I started, some I invested in, some I worked for, some I consulted for. I am doing state/federal licensing renewal or transfers and my employment list on the federal database shows 8 places since 2002, but I also purposely geared that towards the industry I'm in and left out the bullshit places.

• 2 years later...

It's wild how the job landscape has shifted, huh? Gone are the days of lifelong careers and gold watches at retirement. I've had my fair share of job-hopping, mostly because I've been in industries where contracts rule the roost. Stability feels like a distant dream sometimes. And don't even get me started on the pension thing – it's like a relic of the past, especially outside of government gigs. In the midst of all this chaos, there are ways how to make 100 dollars a day. I've dabbled in a few side gigs to make ends meet. Ever heard of flipping items online? It's not exactly stable income, but it's a quick way to pocket some extra cash. Or if you're handy with words like me, freelance writing gigs can bring in a decent buck if you hustle.