• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will win the infield utility spot on the roster?

Chuck

Who will win the infield utility spot on the roster?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got for the final infield spot between Barreto or Rengifo?

• Franklin Barreto
    • Luis Rengifo

Rengifo2.jpeg

So far here's the top two contenders.

Luis Rengifo: .286/.421/.992 (2 SB, 1 HR). Defensively Rengifo has played 1 game at 2B, 3 games at 3B, 4 games at SS and 1 game in LF. Rengifo has committed one error and it was at 3B. 

Franklin Barreto: .375/.444/1.007 (1 SB, 0 HR). Defensively Barreto has played 4 games at 2B, 2 games at 3B and 4 games at SS.  Barreto has yet to commit an error at any of those positions on defense. 

I'm guessing since Barreto is out of options we'll see him get the nod while Rengifo sees time across the diamond in the minors to continue his development. If he reestablishes himself as a leadoff hitter, getting on base and stealing bases, I could see him taking over at either 2B or SS in 2022. 

Vote!

Not enough playing time for either to keep sharp with them both on the bench. Rengifo has options and should sharpen his infield skills with daily play. Barreto, in the long term is an expendable piece so play him now and either trade him mid season or let him walk at the end of the season. 

With the crop of free agent SS on the market next year Rengifo would play utility if any where chosen so he needs to develop diversity. 

Barreto wins out by default.  I'm not a fan, because his plate discipline is awful - way too many Ks, barely any BBs.  Personally, I'd just try to sneak him through waivers and if it doesn't pan out, oh well, just play Rengifo instead.

If I could construct an ideal bench, I'd roll with:

C Suzuki, 3B/1B/LF/RF/C Ward, IF/OF Rengifo, OF Lagares.  I'd put Pujols on the IL for "reasons," and Barreto would either be in the minors or with some other team.

That would be a highly versatile bench and should suit our needs for most situations.  Ward will give Rendon an occasional day off at 3B and Walsh a day off at 1B.  He can also semi-platoon with Fowler in RF against LHP.

Lagares will give Trout the occasional day off in CF and can routinely serve as a late-inning defensive sub for Upton in LF.

Rengifo will give Fletcher and Iglesias occasional days off, and can even probably start at 3B or LF once every now and then as needed.

That would probably be our ideal bench, but it won't happen.

I'm not sure if there is really any question. Barreto is out of options, Rengifo isn't. Is Rengifo so much better, right now, that they'd rather have him make the team and lose Barreto? I would say no, at least not right now. I prefer Rengifo and all things being equal would rather have him on the major league club, but I'd rather hold onto both - at least for now, even if it means Rengifo starting the year in AAA.

I think what they do is give Barreto the job and send Rengifo to AAA to wait for an injury or Barreto to suck for an extended period of time. Rengifo will get his chances this year, and the shot at a starting gig next year. But I think you want to see if Barreto can turn into a major leaguer first. If he does they can trade one of the two, or keep them both and have them both for next year.

I think it'll be Barreto, but the last few weeks of Spring Training are going to be critical. As Spring Training progresses, hitters will be facing better pitchers. Seeing Barreto and Rengifo against those better pitchers will be very insightful.

I always thought it'd be Barreto because he's out of options, but another factor I didn't realize until recently was that Barreto and Minasian were together in Toronto in 2013 and 2014. So Minasian's familiarity with Barreto could also play a factor in him making the roster over Rengifo.

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Barreto wins out by default.  I'm not a fan, because his plate discipline is awful - way too many Ks, barely any BBs.  Personally, I'd just try to sneak him through waivers and if it doesn't pan out, oh well, just play Rengifo instead.

If I could construct an ideal bench, I'd roll with:

C Suzuki, 3B/1B/LF/RF/C Ward, IF/OF Rengifo, OF Lagares.  I'd put Pujols on the IL for "reasons," and Barreto would either be in the minors or with some other team.

That would be a highly versatile bench and should suit our needs for most situations.  Ward will give Rendon an occasional day off at 3B and Walsh a day off at 1B.  He can also semi-platoon with Fowler in RF against LHP.

Lagares will give Trout the occasional day off in CF and can routinely serve as a late-inning defensive sub for Upton in LF.

Rengifo will give Fletcher and Iglesias occasional days off, and can even probably start at 3B or LF once every now and then as needed.

That would probably be our ideal bench, but it won't happen.

Yeah, unfortunately that won't happen.

I wonder if they claimed Mayfield off waivers a couple weeks ago so that they'd have another backup SS option behind Iglesias and Rengifo if they lose Barreto on waivers. Robel Garcia, who was DFA'd to make room for Mayfield, isn't really a true shortstop, but Mayfield is.

Just now, floplag said:

Do we need another thread for Rojas?  Purely by the numbers he may have beaten out Walsh for some time at 1B, but there isnt room for both.

I haven’t looked at what the bottom of our 40 man roster looks like, my guess is it is filled with relief pitchers, but in order to add Rojas we’d have to make room on the 40 man roster as he isn’t currently on it.  If they ever get to the point where they think Barreto isn’t the answer, then maybe you add Rojas.  Also, Rojas is simply bad with the glove and he is no longer really a prospect.  But dude can hit.  

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Do we need another thread for Rojas?  Purely by the numbers he may have beaten out Walsh for some time at 1B, but there isnt room for both.

No.  SSS.  Walsh had a fantastic year last year, albeit in an abbreviated season.  He won't lose his job for now.  If he's struggling 1-2 months into the season and Rojas looks fantastic, then maybe it becomes a conversation.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Rengifo it is! 

This is the best outcome.  Gives Barreto some time off and the ability to "rehab," which means he'll get reps at the alternate site / minor league games, which should help the FO see how he looks in terms of plate discipline.  This way, they can sorta retain him while giving the better player, Rengifo, actual MLB playing time.  If Rengifo looks fantastic, then maybe we DFA Barreto when he's healthy, or maybe he just stays "injured" all season 😉

Looking at our 40 man roster (assuming it is updated on the official site) there are a couple of guys that could possibly be dropped, Luke Bard, Quijada and Jack Mayfield.  That being said I can't see them bringing up a guy like Rojas unless we saw an injury to Walsh and maybe even Thaiss since he would be the first one called up if Albert or Walsh got hurt.