• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels get a look at top two pitching prospects in loss to Reds

THE GAME: The Angels’ top two pitching prospects had scoreless outings in their first big league exhibition games, but the Angels lost to Cincinnati Reds, 7-5, in an eight-inning game on Tuesday night in Goodyear, Ariz.

PITCHING REPORT: Right-hander Chris Rodriguez, the Angels’ second-best pitching prospect, followed starter Andrew Heaney to the mound and struck out the only two batters he faced, Kyle Holder and Joey Votto. Rodriguez was throwing his fastball 97-98 mph, and he whiffed Votto on a slider. “They were both very impressive,” Manager Joe Maddon said. “Their stuff was impressive. They were impressive. You can put your scout hat on and see that they are going to help us, and not in the distant future, in the near future.” … Left-hander Reid Detmers pitched a scoreless sixth, with a walk and a strikeout. It was the first appearance in a big-league exhibition game for the Angels’ top pitching prospect, who was drafted in the first round in 2020. Heaney started the game and gave up one run in 2-1/3 innings in his spring debut. Heaney was also pitching from the third base side of the rubber, having switched sides from last year. Heaney has gone back and forth throughout his career. “I think some of the directional stuff I’ve been working on works better on that side,” Heaney said. “The approach I want toward the plate is more efficient from that side.”

HITTING REPORT: The Angels faced Reds prospect Hunter Greene, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft out of Notre Dame High in Sherman Oaks. David Fletcher led off by punching a 103 mph fastball down the right field line for a single. Jon Jay then walked and Jose Iglesias blasted a three-run homer. … Fletcher, who also walked, has reached base in all four of his plate appearances in his first two games, with three walks and a hit. … Taylor Ward blasted a two-run homer to right-center field, putting the Angels up 5-1 in the third. … Kean Wong bunted for a hit against the shift.

DEFENSE REPORT: First baseman Jose Rojas made a nice play charging on a slow hopper and shoveling the ball to the plate for a forceout, at the time preserving a one-run lead in the seventh. Rojas also dropped a perfect throw from third baseman Matt Thaiss for an error. … Jo Adell finished the game in left field, even though he’s primarily played right field in the majors.

UP NEXT: Angels vs. Texas Rangers, Wednesday, noon PT, Tempe Diablo Stadium, Fox Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

40 minutes ago, oldguy said:

Chris Rodriguez is our SECOND best pitching prospect?  After seeing him pitch to two hitters, I now declare him the BEST pitcher we've had in 3 years!

that could be sarcasm or maybe its not, but it works either way.

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Does anyone think Rodriguez was brought in in the middle on an inning as a prelude to a reliever role?  Or was it merely for Heaney to get up and down a third time?  

i have two reason why this might be.

1. Rodriguez may be higher on the Depth chart compared to Detmers. Therefore maybe they wanted to see his stuff against a guy like Votto., before Votto gets removed fromm the gae. 

2. Maybe it could be a prelude with the lack of innings and that Rodriguez stuff really plays well in the Bp and if we do need an arm he could easily be called up.

But i still think they see him as a starter.  

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Thank you.  I was speaking more to him coming out of the pen if the opportunity arises this season down the stretch.  I wasn’t implying he would be a reliever going forward.  

Maybe.

In the olden days -- many starters began their careers in the pen.   I can see a path where the Angels do that to give him innings and such, but I can't envision the Angels or any team taking a guy like Rodriguez and transitioning him to a RP role until after he's failed to prove he can stay at SP.  

I don't believe this has anything to do with why you asked the original question but I've seen multiple "scouting reports" that have brought up the Angels doing just that because of his "injury history".   Those sites are ignorant of what the actual issue was and his health in general.

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

If anyone wasn't impressed by him then they weren't paying attention. That was a dominant two batters with pure electric stuff.

Our pitching rotation next year is gonna be insane. Gonna guess we are gonna sign an ace. Hopefully Syndergaard.

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Does anyone think Rodriguez was brought in in the middle on an inning as a prelude to a reliever role?  Or was it merely for Heaney to get up and down a third time?  

Are you suggesting that coming in with one out and the bases empty is any different than coming in to start the inning?

i just think they wanted Heaney to get 3 “ups” and Rodriguez was up next. 

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

Are you suggesting that coming in with one out and the bases empty is any different than coming in to start the inning?

i just think they wanted Heaney to get 3 “ups” and Rodriguez was up next. 

I was suggesting that if by chance Heaney didn’t retire the first guy, it would be different and I think it was predetermined that Heaney was done after one batter in the third and that Rodriguez was going to replace him whether or not a guy was on base.

10 hours ago, Bronson said:

Our pitching rotation next year is gonna be insane.

Funny, a week ago - the AW faithful were panicking that the Angels would have to replace their whole rotation.

Edited by True Grich

2 minutes ago, Bronson said:

You’re the one that keeps mentioning that we are gonna have to replace 4 pitchers next offseason.

And that's true.

Why are people not understanding this? I'm not saying we need to sign 4 pitchers. I'm stating the fact we are possibly losing 4 starters next year. Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, and Cobb are all free agents who will need to be replaced.

That will happen through the system, trades, and/or FA. 

C-Rod and Detmers are not locks.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

And that's true.

Why are people not understanding this? I'm not saying we need to sign 4 pitchers. I'm stating the fact we are possibly losing 4 starters next year. Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, and Cobb are all free agents who will need to be replaced.

That will happen through the system, trades, and/or FA. 

C-Rod and Detmers are not locks.

I remember you mentioned it with budgetary constraints that we wouldn’t be able to sign a big name next offseason even with Pujols coming off the books because we are gonna have to replace a whole rotation.

2 minutes ago, Bronson said:

I remember you mentioned it with budgetary constraints that we wouldn’t be able to sign a big name next offseason even with Pujols coming off the books because we are gonna have to replace a whole rotation.

Correct. That means we don't have much wiggle room if (IF) our young guys aren't ready. It means we don't have a lot to extend Bundy or Heaney, and if we want to add a big name starter, we don't have a lot of funds to do so.

I mean, next year's rotation could be Ohtani, Canning, Sandoval, Barria, Suarez, and maybe Detmers. And we have 0 depth.

Maybe that works out? I don't like the look of it though, as of right now.

Edited by tdawg87

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

I was suggesting that if by chance Heaney didn’t retire the first guy, it would be different and I think it was predetermined that Heaney was done after one batter in the third and that Rodriguez was going to replace him whether or not a guy was on base.

I just think they wanted him to pitch and he was going to pitch after Heaney no matter what. If Heaney had thrown 5-6 more pitches in the second he probably wouldn’t have come out for the third.