• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Celebrity Sightings in the Airport Edit: And other public places

I'm really good at recognizing people so I see a lot of "celebrities". I'll keep this list short and mostly on topic (airports).

1. Jake Johnson (Nick from New Girl) at LAX. He was going to Chicago for the Cubs WS games. He's a big Cubs fan. We were buying water out of the vending machine and he was behind us in line. My mom couldn't get her Apple pay to work and it was taking forever so we let him go ahead. He offered to help and was a really nice guy. My mom ended up just using her card.

2. Bill Walton - San Antonio after the Final Four. He was on my flight. He was having a great time chatting it up with everyone in the terminal.

3. Landon Donovan and the LA Galaxy - In DC, on their way home from playing DC United. He wore his sunglasses in the terminal and was loud and obnoxious on the plane. The other guys were on our shuttle from LAX to the parking garage and were really cool. 

Angels related:

I see Garrett Anderson fairly regularly around Irvine and Newport Beach. He's at the Wholefoods in Fashion Island a lot. I work in Fashion Island and ate lunch there a lot pre-covid. I have never said hello to him.

And finally, the most outrageous sighting:

Andy Dick at the Marriott Desert Springs (probably about 20 years ago):

A bunch of our family friend group went out there every year. Probably 10 kids (ages 16-13) were wandering around the hotel and Andy Dick and his entourage were at a restaurant in the lobby. We went by and somehow we got to talking. His son was there with him and was probably 11 or 12. He hit on on of our friends. I think she was 14 at the time and explained that "when the cat's away the mice will play." We left. The next day at the pool he was wearing dayglow yellow shorts running around yelling "why is everyone looking at me?!" His kid hung out with us that day and we played football and stuff. He was cool. I felt really bad for him. Andy Dick later crashed the wedding of my best friend's sister about 5 years later. My best friend was there at the restaurant for the first story.

1977 I am riding the LAX parking bus from the remote lot to the terminals.  Just my mom and me on the bus.  We make a stop and a tall guy with a mop of red hair gets on the bus.  He is wearing this big Mickey Mouse watch, looks expensive.  He sits kind of across from us.  I start racking my brain trying to remember how do I know this guy.  I had been working service jobs and thought maybe he had been a customer.   I see the bus driver looking in the rearview at the guy as well.  We stop at one of the terminals and as the guy is getting off the driver calls out "Hey Dwight".  I realize it is Dwight Stones and I "know" him because of all the ABC up close and personal stuff they did during the Olympics. 

Mom didn't know who he was.

Edited by Slegnaac

I was in San Diego for a conference several years ago... we stayed at the hotel where the teams visiting the Padres stayed that week.

We are riding in an elevator up to our room, and it's pretty full.  A member of the hotel staff is helping a customer up to their room and has a cart full of luggage - making it extra full.  We stop at a floor and a guy gets in and turns his back to face the doors.  He then gets out at the next stop.  The staffer says... "Hey, that was Mike Piazza."  I didn't even notice.

That week, the Phillies and Mets came to town. Saw tons of players in the lobby, bar, etc.

i was in the capitol building in washington d.c. and rode the elevator up to the area where the audience enters the general seating area. there's an elevator operator there (which made me feel like a rich guy from a 1940s movie) and another guy in a suit. figured it was some member of the house but didn't recognize him. we make one stop and the guy gets out, then it's just me and the operator. he says "hey, you know who that was?" "nope." "that was representative jim bunning from kentucky." 

i would've liked to have said hello.

Edited by Tank

at my church we have the Adventist version of sunday school and call it sabbath school. i was the leader of one of the classes for adults. this good looking young girl and her mother just wander in and join our class. she looked really familiar. we finally recognized her - she played the daughter on "Castle", molly quinn.

yes, a minor celebrity, but she and her mom attended our church that summer for about two months. very humble and easy going. 

22 hours ago, Tank said:

at my church we have the Adventist version of sunday school and call it sabbath school. i was the leader of one of the classes for adults. this good looking young girl and her mother just wander in and join our class. she looked really familiar. we finally recognized her - she played the daughter on "Castle", molly quinn.

yes, a minor celebrity, but she and her mom attended our church that summer for about two months. very humble and easy going. 

That's a good one. It reminds me of a story from a not celebrity:

I used to work at a leadership camp for high schools kids in DC over the summers when I was in college. We'd tech leadership skills to the kids. It looked good on a college resume.

Anyway, one day my senior year I'm flipping through channels and on MTV they had a show called "My Super Sweet 16" where super rich parents would throw their ungrateful kids lavish parties that looked like they cost $100k easily. The kids always get upset because their parents got them a 3 Series BMW instead of the 7 Series like they wanted, or whatever.

So I stumble on the show and one of the kids from my group at the program is on there and having a meltdown for whatever spoiled reason their was and looked like the biggest bitch in the world. It's funny because in real life she was actually one of the kindest and most respectful kids I had in my 3 years working there. She was super easy going, teachable, and really humble. I always knew reality TV was BS, but I could not believe how they could make someone look the exact opposite. I'm sure a lot of it is staged and encouraged by the producers or whatever. 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:47 AM, eaterfan said:

I see Garrett Anderson fairly regularly around Irvine and Newport Beach. He's at the Wholefoods in Fashion Island a lot. I work in Fashion Island and ate lunch there a lot pre-covid. I have never said hello to him.

If you ever run into him at Roger Dunn, tread carefully.

7 minutes ago, cals said:

I was watching the 2003 ALDS in my brothers bedroom at his house while he was having an Oktoberfest party.  Then Ray Romano walked in and asked if he could watch he game with me.  I let him.

You let him what? 

2 hours ago, cals said:

I was watching the 2003 ALDS in my brothers bedroom at his house while he was having an Oktoberfest party.  Then Ray Romano walked in and asked if he could watch he game with me.  I let him.

1 hour ago, cals said:

Share my brothers bed with me.

1 hour ago, cals said:

He was a man of few words, but had a gentle presence.

I didn't know you named your dog Ray Romano.

6 minutes ago, cals said:

This was the real Ray Romano.  My dog is named Charlie.  His 12th birthday was Sunday and none of you assholes said anything about it.

Happy belated birthday, Charlie! Our cat turned 11 on Monday.

At work I have seen quite a few athletes, honestly I would only recognize athletes.  Off the top of my head, Kevin Greene (RIP), Jim Edmonds, Ervin Santana, Marcus Dupree, Garrett Anderson, Chuck Finley (he looked bad, like leathery bad), Jim Abbot twice, Harold Reynolds a very cool guy, Mark McGuire, Mark Langston, Rick Smith (old Angels team doctor) he was awesome to talk to.  I think he was so happy I recognized him that he came up and said bye before he left, Bo Kimble, Gary Disarcina, Mike Butcher.  I am sure there are more, but that is the list I remember right now.  Oh and Mark O’Meara.  Shit one more OJ fucking Simpson, post trial.