• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball America 2021 Farm System Rankings

NrM

31 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Maybe I have the wrong impression on Dipoto?  Maybe his master-fullness was hidden among shrewd moves that have not yet flourished?

Nah, his record in Anaheim is what it is.  He took over a team that had three top 100 prospects including Trout.  A farm system full of guys that would end up being decent MLB players and proceeded to set fire to everything.    But he did masterfully talk his way into the hearts of a lot of Angels fans.

Anyone who was here, who remembers the dipoto years, and defends him today.... lol

A lot of us fell for it at the time. But its pretty crystal clear now.

Im sure theres some moreno blame. Im sure he drove pujols and hamilton. So you cant blame that sorely on dipoto. 

But his drafts were horrible. And he added to that problem with the no quality offers.

And whatever success he has with seattle, hes been there for years and years now.... you trade away value, and draft high, after some years of course youll look better.

Hashtag baldoquin alone.

• Chuck changed the title to Baseball America 2021 Farm System Rankings

For me Reagins can be summed up with the V Wells trade.

I can't remember a time when this board was so close to 100% liking/hating a move.

Almost ALL of us knew that deal was moronic. 

If a majority of fans knew something a GM didn't, that's problematic. 

Dipoto went for it with Greinke and it didn't pan out. That trade set us back a ton. At the time I loved it. 

It's still unclear to me how much meddling Arte did.

49 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

TORS makes a good point.   Weren’t most of Seattle’s top prospects acquired via trade?

They have mixed it up well, drafted a lot of college pitchers in the first round that have decent chances of being solid starters.   So, he really does deserve credit for having acquired the talent but there is no question it came at the cost of the MLB team's success.   Thing is, he had talent in Anaheim.  He took over a team with talent in Seattle and with a farm system that had been ranked highly just before he got there.   He's made made good trades for them and for the Angels too -- he just hasn't put it all together yet.. 

Doesnt matter though, people here still fawn over anything that happens under his watch like he's Theo, or Friedman.    

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Dipoto went for it with Greinke and it didn't pan out. That trade set us back a ton. At the time I loved it. 

Segura.  Nothing else of value was lost in that trade. 

People tend to write that one off because Greinke left but he got absolute max value out of Segura and two pitchers that were more suspects than prospects.

To me, his having traded away Adam Eaton instead of keeping him to obtain Hector Santiago was much worse and set us back a lot further.   Eaton would have ended the need for a lead off hitter and LFer.  Trout Calhoun Eaton would have made for a young defensively giften offensively capable OF that was dirty cheap and under club control.  But he wanted a SP with control problems more because smartest guy in the room.

Seriously, had he kept Eaton -- they may not have been a Hamilton signing, there may not have been a Upton trade.   

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Segura.  Nothing else of value was lost in that trade. 

People tend to write that one off because Greinke left but he got absolute max value of Segura and two pitchers that were more suspects than prospects.

To me, his traded away Adam Eaton instead of keeping him to obtain Hector Santiago was much worse and set us back a lot further.   Eaton would have ended the need for a lead off hitter and LFer.  Trout Calhoun Eaton would have made for a young defensively giften offensively capable OF that was dirty cheap and under club control.  But he wanted a SP with control problems more because smartest guy in the room.

Seriously, had he kept Eaton -- they may not have been a Hamilton signing, there may not have been a Upton trade.   

Correct.

I was combining some of the players we traded for Haren for some reason 

13 minutes ago, failos said:

I will give Dipoto some credit....he did have a win now mentality that I sort of miss. Of course he decimated the farm in the process, but seeing our farm ranking today makes me wonder what makes him so much worse than Eppler....

This:

2015 PROSPECT WATCH
  • Victor Alcantara. RHP.
  • Joe Gatto. RHP.
  • Nate Smith. LHP.
  • Roberto Baldoquin. 2B/SS.
  • Taylor Ward. C.
  • Kyle Kubitza. 3B.
  • Jahmai Jones. OF.
  • Kaleb Cowart. 3B.

20 minutes ago, failos said:

I will give Dipoto some credit....he did have a win now mentality that I sort of miss. Of course he decimated the farm in the process, but seeing our farm ranking today makes me wonder what makes him so much worse than Eppler....

Understanding why the rankings are what they are helps.  BBA doesnt count Adell as a prospect so that likely knocked them down a bit but they seem to be putting a lot more weight into proximity these days -- unless it's the Yankees or someone paid 3 mil to sign them internationally.   As Keith Law pointed out in his rankings if it was based simply on talent and tools the Angels might be a top 10 farm system.

The other big thing..  the Angels MLB roster isn't devoid of talent .... even better they will finally be rid of one of Dipoto's gifts this coming winter.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Understanding why the rankings are what they are helps.  BBA doesnt count Adell as a prospect so that likely knocked them down a bit but they seem to be putting a lot more weight into proximity these days -- unless it's the Yankees or someone paid 3 mil to sign them internationally.   As Keith Law pointed out in his rankings if it was based simply on talent and tools the Angels might be a top 10 farm system.

The other big thing..  the Angels MLB roster isn't devoid of talent .... even better they will finally be rid of one of Dipoto's gifts this coming winter.

You mean...the gift?