• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels 2021 Bullpen

Hubs

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I'm all for Sandoval's potential in the pen, but I think there is possibly some upside in having him in AAA, stretched out as a SP, too.  Given our history of SP depth issues, and given that injuries are inevitable, it'd be nice to have, say, Sandoval as "next man up," as opposed to Suarez.  

As it currently stands, I see Peters, Pannone, Faria, Suarez, and Detmers as the AAA guys. 

I think Sandoval in the pen, gaining more experience at the MLB level, will do him best now. If serious need arises they can stretch him back out over the course of a couple starts. 

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

As it currently stands, I see Peters, Pannone, Faria, Suarez, and Detmers as the AAA guys. 

I think Sandoval in the pen, gaining more experience at the MLB level, will do him best now. If serious need arises they can stretch him back out over the course of a couple starts. 

I think Faria is a reliever, not a starter at this point.  I don't see Peters as an MLB-caliber SP, so I really hope he is not considered depth.

I do not see Detmers starting the year in AAA, and I think the earliest we would see him is at the end of 2021.  I know he is advanced, but I really don't see him as an immediate option at all.

Of the guys you listed, the only one I would trust is Suarez, and I think you need more immediate SP depth than just him.  

If you look at the best teams, they have guys who should be in the MLB hanging out in AAA, stretched out, for this very purpose.  The Dodgers kept Gonsolin at the alternate site for half the year, despite the fact that he was very much ready to pitch in the big leagues.  The best teams are able to dot his, and it's what I would like to see this team do, too.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Peters is out of options I think. He’ll be cut.

Yeah, he's probably one of the first guys who they'd look to DFA if their 40-man roster is full. However, it's still a ways away from being full, as it's only at 35.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, he's probably one of the first guys who they'd look to DFA if their 40-man roster is full. However, it's still a ways away from being full, as it's only at 35.

I think we'll add one more recognizable name to the pen.  probably not from the tier 1 group but maybe in the tier 2 range.  Then two others who we won't really recognize with options.  

Right now, the way I see it, we have 5 "definites" in our pen - Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, and Reyes (since he can't be optioned).

That leaves, at least, 3 spots available for whoever else they want to sign, etc.  If the rumors that we may have expanded rosters again next season are true, then that's even more relievers.

My guess is, if we end up acquiring 2 SPs, Barria is put in the pen (since he has no options).  Sandoval may be put in the pen, or if the FO feels he's a solid SP option, he will be optioned to AAA so he is kept stretched out.

I think the team can get by with just one more pen addition if (1) it’s a good arm and (2) they bring in two starting pitchers. Barria and/or Sandoval would get pushed to the pen, leaving just one or two spots to fill. And there is also the guy we got from San Diego in exchange for Castro. 

Right now it’s Iglesias, Buttrey, Mayers, Pena, Rivera and Reyes. Yan probably makes it too at some point but won’t start the season. 

That’s 6 of like 8. They need a lefty. I think Alvarez fits. Why they traded him I’ll never understand. I’d have understood a non tender but he was good in Philly in 2020.

Bradley makes sense as the other name, but I think they need someone with options.

and Barria will likely be in the rotation. With 13 pitchers and Ohtani, it’s an 8 man pen. That leaves 12 bats, which will be two catchers, 4 OF and 6 INF.

In terms of Barria to the pen, I think Barria is one of those guys whose stuff makes him a solid #5-type SP but doesn't really play up too well in relief.  So if we get enough SP this offseason, maybe Barria is instead involved in a trade of some kind, given he doesn't have any options remaining.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Right now, the way I see it, we have 5 "definites" in our pen - Iglesias, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, and Reyes (since he can't be optioned).

Is Reyes out of options? FanGraphs says he still has 1 year of options left.

Updating this thread now...

Bullpen locks, so far:  Iglesias, Pena, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera* (if he stays).

That leaves 2 more spots for relievers.  Likely one will be a LHP.  I suspect Minasian will work to add cheaper options, a la Claudio, as he allocates most of his financial resources towards SP, with a bit left over for C and possible corner OF.

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Updating this thread now...

Bullpen locks, so far:  Iglesias, Pena, Mayers, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera* (if he stays).

That leaves 2 more spots for relievers.  Likely one will be a LHP.  I suspect Minasian will work to add cheaper options, a la Claudio, as he allocates most of his financial resources towards SP, with a bit left over for C and possible corner OF.

My pick for the remaining two is a similarly priced free agent (with what they paid Claudio, they will be very affordable) and Reyes or Yan. Barria I think makes the rotation as the 6th starter and is the long man in the pen. 

Free agent targets can be anyone but I’d love to see them spend 1-2 M per on a two year deal actually.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

My pick for the remaining two is a similarly priced free agent (with what they paid Claudio, they will be very affordable) and Reyes or Yan. Barria I think makes the rotation as the 6th starter and is the long man in the pen. 

Free agent targets can be anyone but I’d love to see them spend 1-2 M per on a two year deal actually.

Agreed.  I like Claudio a lot as a pickup at the cost he came, and it goes to show you a lot of value can be found rather cheaply in terms of relievers.  No need to sign Hand or others in that price range.

Spend the bulk of our available money on SP, and earmark ~7-8 mil on a backup catcher and possible corner LH OF.

19 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Agreed.  I like Claudio a lot as a pickup at the cost he came, and it goes to show you a lot of value can be found rather cheaply in terms of relievers.  No need to sign Hand or others in that price range.

Spend the bulk of our available money on SP, and earmark ~7-8 mil on a backup catcher and possible corner LH OF.

Jeremy Jeffries for $1.5

Jose Alvarez for $2.5

Joc Pederson 2/15

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Jeremy Jeffries for $1.5

Jose Alvarez for $2.5

Joc Pederson for 2/15.

3-Way Trade for German Marquez 7.5 and David Price (16) and K Ruiz. 

Dodgers get Blackmon, Arenado, Rengifo and Jackson. 

Rockies get Adell, Josiah Gray, Thaiss, Sandoval and Chris Taylor. 

I actually like the potential idea of adding David Price.  I think the Dodgers might consider trying to unload him to create some more payroll space.  He's due 2/30 from the Dodgers.  

I don't think the above deal in that the Dodgers are taking on way too much salary and giving up a lot of talent.  Arenado has a negative trade value, as does Blackman.

Perhaps we can get the Dodgers to ship up Price and have them eat a bit of the salary, such that we can get him on a 2/20 or so type deal (i.e. Dodgers eat 5mil/yr), while effectively giving up nothing.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I actually like the potential idea of adding David Price.  I think the Dodgers might consider trying to unload him to create some more payroll space.  He's due 2/30 from the Dodgers.  

I don't think the above deal in that the Dodgers are taking on way too much salary and giving up a lot of talent.  Arenado has a negative trade value, as does Blackman.

Perhaps we can get the Dodgers to ship up Price and have them eat a bit of the salary, such that we can get him on a 2/20 or so type deal (i.e. Dodgers eat 5mil/yr), while effectively giving up nothing.

I deleted this part because I was gonna start a new thread. 

I don’t believe Arenado has a negative trade value like BTV says, he’s overpaid sure but everything I’ve read says the Rockies want two top Prospects. 

I thought Price was due 16 M Per. By taking on his whole salary and sending them a decent prospect I think we could get Ruiz from them. 

Maybe Heaney, Rengifo, and Knowles for Price and Ruiz? 

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I deleted this part because I was gonna start a new thread. 

I don’t believe Arenado has a negative trade value like BTV says, he’s overpaid sure but everything I’ve read says the Rockies want two top Prospects. 

I thought Price was due 16 M Per. By taking on his whole salary and sending them a decent prospect I think we could get Ruiz from them. 

Maybe Heaney, Rengifo, and Knowles for Price and Ruiz? 

I think Arenado does carry negative trade value.  Virtually no team will take on that contract, and Arenado has all the power to dictate where he will go by simply choosing to not waive his opt-out unless he goes to a team he wants.  The Rockies will assuredly have to absorb 5-7mil/yr of his deal at the very least to move him, IMO.  I can't think of a single team, in this current offseason, who would willingly absorb that whole deal.

I get the sense the Dodgers want to hold onto Ruiz as a trade chip for an elite piece.  My preference is still to try to build a trade around sending them Adell in exchange for a young SP + Ruiz.  My idea of Gonsolin + Ruiz got shot down, so maybe Gray + Ruiz or something along those lines.  That way, we acquire a young, cost-controlled SP along with a young C who will step in immediately and start for us.  Gray is likely already ready to start, or if not, within a few months at most.  Fangraphs projects him as a solid mid-rotation SP.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I wonder if they splurge on one more setup-type reliever (Greene/Soria/Treinen/Bradley). It probably depends on how much they spend on starting pitching, though.