• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

1 minute ago, Tank said:

these are the people who didn't learn history, or the lessons of history, when they were in school. they're under the delusion that everyone will be able to get along just because.

As a teacher, do you think the curriculum for American history is appropriate? What I mean is, does it gloss over the "naughty" stuff? 

The only thing I learned from American history is that the US saved the allies in WW2. I've long since learned that is BS. Then again that's anecdotal.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

As a teacher, do you think the curriculum for American history is appropriate? What I mean is, does it gloss over the "naughty" stuff? 

The only thing I learned from American history is that the US saved the allies in WW2. I've long since learned that is BS. Then again that's anecdotal.

in jr. high, we cover basic events of the american story from columbus to the civil war & reconstruction. i don't gloss over the treatment of blacks or american indians in our discussions, or what a terrible person columbus was. it's important to me that the kids get a realistic view of the price many have paid to be here as well as what has been done to build the society we have now.

in high school and college, it's a different approach that is far more analytical than anything i teach, and i think that's where the issue lies. i think in recent years there's been far more emphasis on the SJW approach to history than a balanced and big picture approach (i could be wrong but it seems like there are universal complaints about how every single thing done by whites in this country was evil and destructive, with all focus being about one point of view, and little or unequal emphasis on accomplishments and achievements that built a pretty darn good way of life for the majority of its' citizens). 

i think the history curriculum shift in secondary education is heavily tilted to one side right now. i think it's also been tilted to one side on the opposite end for too long. we don't seem to be very good in finding the middle in a lot of these classrooms as so many university teachers seem to have an agenda. i'm sure by now we've all heard the complaints about universities have become hotbeds of leftist ideology.

i look at these idiots in portland who want to burn it all down but don't have any kind of plan for what to put in its place. there always needs to be some kind of leadership and organization as you can't just simply leave people completely alone to govern themselves however they wish. there has to be at least a minimal amount of structure otherwise society is going to be in complete chaos. you have to have goods and services provided; there needs to be food and medical care available; have to be roads and upkeep, etc. etc. The morons in portland truly don't know what they're asking for, as society would completely collapse on multiple levels. it's ignorance of the past and how this kind of approach has been pure misery for the people who have lived under those circumstances, and it would be devastating if they got their way and made it happen here.

Not high school reading of course but a very good book I recently read about the Cold War era is the Jakarta Method by Vincent Bevins.  

The Jakarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade and the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World https://www.amazon.com/dp/1541742400/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_HtCdGb875CGG1

People on both sides think curriculum is biased toward the other side. Liberals say it glosses over the atrocities, conservatives say it causes children to hate America.

But do think it's important to acknowledge that history, like most other subjects, is based on interpretation and perception, which means there will always be bias. And because white men have been the tellers of American history for 250 years, it's important to ensure kids are hearing from the perspectives of people who are part of the groups that have been marginalized throughout history. That's not SJW or anti-America; that's giving children a wholistic picture and teaching them critical thinking skills, so that they'll be more inclined to do their own research when they become adults.

I think we need the study of U.S. history, at least in general high school education, should be factual, not editorial.  In other words, young people should know all of our history, nothing should be ignored.  Nothing

Edited by mtangelsfan

4 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I think we need the study of U.S. history, at least in general high school education, should be factual, not editorial.  In other words, young people should know all of our history, nothing should be ignored.  Nothing

chris farley yes GIF

9 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Well that is a nice idea, but these text books often condense the subject down into 10-20 pages. There isn't much room in there for a more than cursory explanation of events.

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well that is a nice idea, but these text books often condense the subject down into 10-20 pages. There isn't much room in there for a more than cursory explanation of events.

There should be or there is no point in teaching it at all

Edited by mtangelsfan

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I mean how are you supposed to approach manifest destiny in a “even handed” way.  Lol it’s a ridiculous thought.  It’s a primary driver for a huge portion of America history and there’s no way any honest description of it will hold up under any kind of ethical examination.  

tough deal. 

By explaining what happened

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Stop, please just stop. 

You're welcome to present an alternative argument. Which prominent females or people of color have been instrumental in the presentation of American history?

I don't think it's your fault, so sorry if you're personally offended when I talk about bias.

6 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

By explaining what happened

None of us were alive when many of the events of American history happened. Every "fact" we know about these events was recorded by someone based on their perspective.

Even the four Gospels present different details of the same events in Jesus' history. The reason for this is that everyone's eyewitness perspective is filtered through the lens of their own biases.

So "explaining what happened" isn't all that simple unless we have camera footage of the event in question, and even then, people will derive different conclusions from the same footage.