• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No. 15 Jason Castro ????

Claude

16 minutes ago, RBM said:

You missed the point. Neither #15 or #16 should be retired in my opinion but if a current player should choose to not wear # #15 out of respect to Salmon then he should not wear #16 out of an equal respect to Anderson. Castro does not garner my respect by trading Salmon’s #15 for Anderson’s #16. He would have been better off keeping #15 for his one year.

Whoa. So this was actually serious? vvv

1 hour ago, RBM said:

The fact we have a thread on an Angels baseball message board intimating Tim Salmon was better than Garret Anderson is ludicrous.

Um...this is why using counting stats to measure greatness is tremendously flawed. Salmon was solidly in the hall of very good. Anderson was not. Anderson basically just hit slightly better than average production over a long career. He had 1, at best 2, all star type seasons. 

Kingfish was a well above average hitter. The comparisons between the two end after they both played outfield a long time for the Angels and were on the championship team. 

Salmon’s number probably deserves to be retired by the Angels. Anderson? That would be insane. 

Every team in every sport have their own way of honoring franchise greats. Names on stadium walls, retired numbers, statues, plaques, franchise or local Halls of Fame,  and so on.

Statues are the most memorable, but make the biggest impact when you see them in person. The Niners recently put out a great recreation of the 1981 'catch' with an exact life size statues of Montana and Clark freezing that moment in time. The plaques in Yankee Stadium are iconic. The statues in front of Staples are memorable. When you go to Cooperstown you come away with all the plaques lingering in your memory. The statue of Rocket Richard in Montreal evokes the legend.

It's a great idea to recognize and honor franchise greats.

Kobe had two numbers retired by the same team.

Number 12 for the Montreal Canadiens was worn by two HOF players and retired for both of them (Dickie Moore, Yvan Cournoyer) in a ceremony with both present.

There are all sorts of ways of respecting the great players.

Objectively, Vlad wasn't with the franchise that long. 8 years with the Expos, 6 with the Angels. Same with some other greats like Jackson and Carew who were around even less. Even Ryan played longer with Houston.

Trout should be treated as an individual and not have to share any #27 honors with Vlad. A homegrown player is special. And even acquisitions from elsewhere should have had significantly longer and better careers than other places they played.

Even Gretzky honored as a King is a perversion of history. His impact outside the game deserves special respect, but he was immensely better in Edmonton. In L.A. he never won a championship. 

13 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Every team in every sport have their own way of honoring franchise greats. Names on stadium walls, retired numbers, statues, plaques, franchise or local Halls of Fame,  and so on.

Statues are the most memorable, but make the biggest impact when you see them in person. The Niners recently put out a great recreation of the 1981 'catch' with an exact life size statues of Montana and Clark freezing that moment in time. The plaques in Yankee Stadium are iconic. The statues in front of Staples are memorable. When you go to Cooperstown you come away with all the plaques lingering in your memory. The statue of Rocket Richard in Montreal evokes the legend.

It's a great idea to recognize and honor franchise greats.

Kobe had two numbers retired by the same team.

Number 12 for the Montreal Canadiens was worn by two HOF players and retired for both of them (Dickie Moore, Yvan Cournoyer) in a ceremony with both present.

There are all sorts of ways of respecting the great players.

Objectively, Vlad wasn't with the franchise that long. 8 years with the Expos, 6 with the Angels. Same with some other greats like Jackson and Carew who were around even less. Even Ryan played longer with Houston.

Trout should be treated as an individual and not have to share any #27 honors with Vlad. A homegrown player is special. And even acquisitions from elsewhere should have had significantly longer and better careers than other places they played.

Even Gretzky honored as a King is a perversion of history. His impact outside the game deserves special respect, but he was immensely better in Edmonton. In L.A. he never won a championship. 

Gretzky is acknowledged as possibly saving hockey in the Western part of the USA.    When he arrived, only the Kings and Yotes were out here; and both not faring that well.  

246/672/918 G/A/T over almost 8 seasons with the Kings isn't chopped liver either.    Granted, his +/- was only -5 in that time after being +553 in 9 Edmonton seasons.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'd be fine if they un-retired both Carew's and Ryan's numbers.  Both identify with other teams. Both went into the Hall wearing other caps. 

Autrey, I get.  Pee Wee Reese?  I could go either way.

Salmon should definitely have his number retired and one day #27 for Trout and Vlad (Vlad since he went into the Hall with an Angels cap).

I'd also retire #14.  Yup. Most definitely.

5 hours ago, True Grich said:

I'd be fine if they un-retired both Carew's and Ryan's numbers.  Both identify with other teams. Both went into the Hall wearing other caps. 

ryan's best years were as an angel. i'd leave his alone. 

i understand people feeling put-off by him for wanting to work a deal with the rangers that included wearing their cap into the hall - feel how you want to on that one. but watching him as a halo was electrifying, and he put up some darn impressive numbers here. he should have won a cy young but he was cheated out of it by writers who voted for jim palmer because palmer had fewer losses.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Autrey, I get.  Pee Wee Reese?  I could go either way.

Salmon should definitely have his number retired and one day #27 for Trout and Vlad (Vlad since he went into the Hall with an Angels cap).

I'd also retire #14.  Yup. Most definitely.

This

Fifth all-time in managerial wins with one team, 26th all-time in winning% (at least 1,000 overall wins)