• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Talk me off this ledge....

Chuck

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Again, we've been optimistic like this for years now and it's gotten us nowhere. The Angels need a #1 starter and they've failed to do that. Only option now is to trade prospects when that could have been avoided in the beginning.
Yes, I agree that Teheran and Bundy can help stabilize things, but this in no way gets you deep in the playoffs.

I hear ya but what would u have done different? Handed out 4 years to Ryu? Surely people here would have lost their heads had that contract been given out to a guy as injured as he has been in his career and on the wrong side of 30. Kuechel? He was about average last year and also, a lot of money for a guy who is probably declining rapidly. Only guy I’m serious mad about is Cole, but we did get Rendon. Other than that I can’t see who else we: A) had a LEGITIMATE chance of getting or B) would have moved the needle enough to go all in for. 
Also, I’m a 9ers and Lakers fan and I told all of my friends all three of my fav teams would be in the playoffs in 2020 (after ALL being lousy the year prior) 2 for 3 so far lol. Good juju coming our way and the Angels will follow suit. 😎

3 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Since @RendZone isn’t here to say it: Arte was able to fleece the city of Anaheim and screw over the taxpayers. That’s the only off-season goal he took seriously. Arte’s off-season has been a tremendous success, even with Dylan Bundy as the opening day starter going into the season. 

He has also  authorized two of the top four AAV deals in MLB history.... in the last nine months 

2 minutes ago, WTFaRtie said:

I hear ya but what would u have done different? Handed out 4 years to Ryu? Surely people here would have lost their heads had that contract been given out to a guy as injured as he has been in his career and on the wrong side of 30. Kuechel? He was about average last year and also, a lot of money for a guy who is probably declining rapidly. Only guy I’m serious mad about is Cole, but we did get Rendon. Other than that I can’t see who else we: A) had a LEGITIMATE chance of getting or B) would have moved the needle enough to go all in for. 
Also, I’m a 9ers and Lakers fan and I told all of my friends all three of my fav teams would be in the playoffs in 2020 (after ALL being lousy the year prior) 2 for 3 so far lol. Good juju coming our way and the Angels will follow suit. 😎

Doesn't make sense to say "I'm serious mad about Cole, but we did get Rendon". Yeah, Rendon is a stud, but that took $35M AAV out of the payroll for pitching. Plain and simple. 

5 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Since @RendZone isn’t here to say it: Arte was able to fleece the city of Anaheim and screw over the taxpayers. That’s the only off-season goal he took seriously. Arte’s off-season has been a tremendous success, even with Dylan Bundy as the opening day starter going into the season. 

Too bad at the end of the day that the "success" has only been in his pockets and not on the field. 

There’s excuses for every pitcher, but the end reality is this was a worst pitching in baseball rotation and worst overall pitching, iirc. with only modest upgrades made to it. 

That had to be the #1 priority going into the offseason, yet somehow we have Ohtani, who Eppler says may not be ready to start the year, and Bundy and Teheran who could be improved with our coaching staff, or could be worse. With Heaney’s injury history and Canning’s concerns thus far, if Bundy or Teheran break we’re in deep crap. 

We very much need one more high end pitcher, but I’m concerned that Eppler is more concerned with being opportunistic and not concerned enough with the urgency of this situation.

I’m also concerned with Arte saying he’s all in and then pussyfooting around the luxury tax. He apparently told Rendon they’re still improving and we’ve got two innings eaters and nothing else. 

The offseason isn’t over - a trade could still happen - and I’m concerned that any replacement for Eppler would be so concerned about improving that Adell, Marsh, and Canning would quickly be gone, but at the end of the day it’s hard to justify keeping him if this season is another .500 season. 

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Doesn't make sense to say "I'm serious mad about Cole, but we did get Rendon". Yeah, Rendon is a stud, but that took $35M AAV out of the payroll for pitching. Plain and simple. 

Why not? I’m mad we didn’t throw that money at Cole. That was a miss. Nobody else was worthy of that kind of money pitching wise on the market. No he isn’t a pitcher but getting Rendon softened the hurt a bit because he’s that good.  Still, not saying I’m thrilled about this offseason but The sky isn’t falling either. Time will tell. 

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

They added a player equally as valuable as Gerrit Cole for two less years. A more reliable player long term. Granted, the pitcher would probably improve the team more considering alternatives, but it was a huge improvement... oh. and they also went after Cole.... and others. It's not Amazon.com. You cant just buy what you want. The player has to want to play for your team. 

They have the money for pitching. They were willing to give Cole $36 million 

They were willing to have three of the top four AAV salaries in MLB history. Probably the top three... people didn't think Strasburg would get quite that much.

Arte Moreno was willing to give three players $35 million per year ... in the last nine months

You people...

9 minutes ago, ScottT said:

They added a player equally as valuable as Gerrit Cole for two less years. A more reliable player long term. Granted, the pitcher would probably improve the team more considering alternatives, but it was a huge improvement... oh. and they also went after Cole.... and others. It's not Amazon.com. You cant just buy what you want. The player has to want to play for your team. 

They have the money for pitching. They were willing to give Cole $36 million 

They were willing to have three of the top four AAV salaries in MLB history. Probably the top three... people didn't think Strasburg would get quite that much.

Arte Moreno was willing to give three players $35 million per year ... in the last nine months

You people...

For the Yankees it is Amazon.com. I take that back, it is like Amazon.com. Generally speaking, whoever offers the most money does buy it. It's like that the majority of the time.

Not everything has been a failure. I think it's time for Eppler to be replaced if the Angels don't make the playoffs next year, but they needed inning eaters AND upside. They've got the innings converted now. 

Unfortunately, Eppler has failed in the upside department. And now he's left with the choice between trading away his prospects to get the needed upside and save his job, or stand pat, hope there enough (they aren't) and save the prospects, the future of this team.

It'll take a lot of bravery on Eppler's part to stand pat and lose his job as long as he leaves the long term sustainability of the organization in tact by keeping the kids. 

25 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

To me? No. We’d be a better team than we were before the offseason, but I’d prefer Rendon and look for trade options. 

Same... 

I'm seriously not stressing the Ryu/Keuchel deals so much as the two guys I have whined about missing on.  Neither one of those deals would keep the Angels from making future moves.