• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh poised for a big season in 2020

rafibomb

Brandon Marsh, OF (Angels’ No. 2) A back injury wiped out Marsh’s pro debut after the Angels took him in the second round of the 2016 Draft, but since then he’s been a model of consistency, making noticeable gains while ascending the system. In his first Double-A campaign this past season, the 22-year-old outfielder produced a .300/.383/.428 line with seven homers and 30 extra-base hits over 412 plate appearances in the Southern League. He was just as impressive in the Arizona Fall League after the season, flashing legitimate five-tool potential, while posting a .909 OPS with two homers (8 XBH) in 19 games.

Marsh’s strong 2019 campaign is interesting because he actually regressed in his batted-ball profile: his 49.9 percent FB+LD rate from ’18 dropped to 45.6, while his groundball rate correspondingly jumped to 53 percent. In this instance, however, Marsh’s regression also highlights room for improvement.

Marsh has long demonstrated an advanced approach and walked at an 11.4 percent clip -- he’s posted double-digit walk rates at every full-season stop during his career -- last season in the Southern League, where his 7 percent swinging strike rate was the circuit’s sixth-best mark among qualified hitters. He adeptly hits to all fields, too, generating hard contact from line to line from the left side of the plate, with game power that presently plays primarily to the opposite field. For context, he hit four of his seven regular-season home runs to the opposite field in 2019 after hitting seven of his 10 to either left or center field in ’18.

njnadwg5u2chrqnuzuvb

In the AFL, though, Marsh parked both of his dingers to right field. That display of pull-side power, which the 6-foot-4 outfielder shows plenty of during batting practice but has yet to apply it consistently in games, was a very encouraging sign, one that makes it increasingly easy to project Marsh as someone capable of hitting for both average and power at the highest level. With his natural hitting ability and mature approach already in place, Marsh is a strong candidate for a power spike in 2020.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-ready-for-big-seasons

Saw this posted on the Prospects forum and thought this would be a good share with all these trade ideas floating around centered around Marsh.

Edited by rafibomb

Marsh and Adell both hitting this year would be HUGE. Would give us the chance to move Upton to DH to split time with Ohtani, instead of having Pujols there when he's given a rest from 1B. And, Upton would be a killer 4th outfielder. Fangraphs is project Upton to have a bit of a bounce back year at the plate, with 30 home runs and a BA of .240. It would also give us the potential to have a defensive outfield to match our defensive infield.

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-ready-for-big-seasons

Saw this posted on the Prospects forum and thought this would be a good share with all these trade ideas floating around centered around Marsh.

I hope Eppler holds onto Marsh.  Having two above average outfielders on league minimum contracts for 3 years would give us so much financial freedom to improve other areas of the team. 

don't trade marsh!

he's a moto bat and they talk about his defense like it's gold glove caliber. 

if he and adell pop, then you've got fletcher, adell, trout, rendon, ohtani, marsh as your top 6. each of those are legitimate all star candidates.  fill the last three spots with likely pujols/thaiss, simmons, catcher. that's something i want to see, way more than i care to see boyd, ray, etc.

just friggin sign ryu, keuchel, maldonado or castro and keep the kids. we didn't get the FA starters i wanted. i accept that. i also accept the injury risk in lieu of trading marsh. 

2 hours ago, UCLAngel said:

I hope Eppler holds onto Marsh.  Having two above average outfielders on league minimum contracts for 3 years would give us so much financial freedom to improve other areas of the team. 

i've been saying the same thing more so than anybody probably wants to hear anymore, but i'm with you.

praise the lord applause GIF

14 minutes ago, UCLAngel said:

Where will he play? Obviously, Upton would be the preferred odd man out, but we're kind of stuck with him for a few years.

Can someone please explain to me, why some on here think Marsh won't be a regular here until 2022?

A talent like his is not going to be wasted as a 4th OF in parts of 2020 and all of 2021.  

Upton can move to 1B/DH after 2020, getting some 70 DH starts and 70 1B starts in 2021 and 2022.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can someone please explain to me, why some on here think Marsh won't be a regular here until 2022?

A talent like his is not going to be wasted as a 4th OF in parts of 2020 and all of 2021.  

Upton can move to 1B/DH after 2020, getting some 70 DH starts and 70 1B starts in 2021 and 2022.

Jo Adell ... it’s possible Marsh is brought up before Adell. Justin will be in LF unless injured imo. 

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Where will he play? Obviously, Upton would be the preferred odd man out, but we're kind of stuck with him for a few years.

Like AO mentioned, ideally Upton moves to first/DH and forms a platoon split with Thaiss/Ohtani at those spots.  If Maddon has the balls to do it, I think Albert is going to largely sit in his final season.  Marsh/Adell/Trout/Upton rotate in outfield as well.  There are ABs for all of them but we have to put AP on the bench where he belongs. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I feel like it’s a lot to assume Upton can make that switch. Has he shown that he can play 1B in the past?

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

don't trade marsh!

he's a moto bat and they talk about his defense like it's gold glove caliber. 

if he and adell pop, then you've got fletcher, adell, trout, rendon, ohtani, marsh as your top 6. each of those are legitimate all star candidates.  fill the last three spots with likely pujols/thaiss, simmons, catcher. that's something i want to see, way more than i care to see boyd, ray, etc.

just friggin sign ryu, keuchel, maldonado or castro and keep the kids. we didn't get the FA starters i wanted. i accept that. i also accept the injury risk in lieu of trading marsh. 

This is my take, too. Im ok trading someone, if it checks all the boxes. But none of the names being floated really do. If we cant land a long term pitching solution via trade, stick w what we have.

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

if he and adell pop

..... so will tdawg