• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Favorite places to eat in OC

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

The thing that I think is really hard to find is outstanding BBQ.  Anyone have any recommendations for that?

This is a tough one out here as far as can't miss places, but bbq to me is like pizza to where as long as it's not terrible I'll still like it. Off the top of my head that I have liked:

Smoqued in Orange Circle (probably my favorite out here)

Famous Daves in Irvine (it's a chain, but every time I've eaten there is good....but I go to KC a lot and have just accepted bbq out here in CA is just not going to touch it)

Others I have tried that don't stand out but might have been ok is Tulsa Rib Co in Orange and Crow Smokehouse in Orange. There was another joint around Orange Circle that was a hole in the wall on Glassell (if memory serves me right), but I can't find it and it may have closed down. I came back from KC on a big bbq trip and started going to all these spots to try new places out. The weirdest one was this spot in Orange or Santa Ana. It was an old back guy that converted some of his house into a walk-in and order to go bbq spot. I don't even recall a business sign and got lost trying to find it off Google Maps. But yeah, you park on a residential street, go through a gate, and walk up to the counter and order. When you find hole in the wall or off the beaten path spots they usually are solid, but I wasn't pleased and wouldn't recommend it unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sad nostalgia, Johnny Rebs in Orange was a great southern style place but closed shop about 4 months back.  At least the one in Long Beach is still there.

Roma D’Italia in Tustin has been family owned since 1965, great Italian place.

Bummer, I went to Johnny Rebs maybe 2-3 times and liked it.

5 minutes ago, calscuf said:

I second Roma d Italia.  Tulsa boils their ribs.  I love Los Reyes in Orange.  

Another chain that does ribs well is Lucilles.  I’ll miss a Johnny Rebs, their fried chicken was the best in OC.

I'll try Roma D'Italia. I'm not too far and my office used to be down the street, but carbs in the day time are a killer.

For bbq I'm more of a brisket guy, so I didn't have the ribs at Tulsa. I live close to Lucilles and the past 2-3 times haven't had the best quality of food, so I stopped going there. Used to like the place and they do have good sauces.

If you like Mexican, try Zamoras on Main in Santa Ana if you're ever in the area. Hole in the wall spot on the Santa Ana/Costa Mesa/Irvine border not too far from the airport. Place is pretty legit. De Anda was another Mexican spot I liked when they would bring it into the office. 

Try Leadbelly BBQ in Fullerton right off the 57 between Chapman and Nutwood on Placentia Blvd. It's a small place and can get crowded. 

For upscale BBQ there is the Newport Rib Company in Costa Mesa off of Harbor Blvd. Lots of big screens to watch sports and good deals on appetizer baskets of baby back and St.Louis style ribs if you are in a meat only mood. 

42 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Try Leadbelly BBQ in Fullerton right off the 57 between Chapman and Nutwood on Placentia Blvd. It's a small place and can get crowded. 

For upscale BBQ there is the Newport Rib Company in Costa Mesa off of Harbor Blvd. Lots of big screens to watch sports and good deals on appetizer baskets of baby back and St.Louis style ribs if you are in a meat only mood. 

Nice. I'll check out Leadbelly as I'm down that way about once a month. I was trying to think if I have been to Newport Rib and don't think so based off their Google pictures. Thanks for the suggestions.

32 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Tustin Brewing Company is pretty good too. Plus they almost always have Pliny.

I used to go there a few times a week when I first moved into my office because it was basically across the street and I didn't know the area too well. I liked their pizza the first time, but everything after wasn't good at all and I tried different things there from the fish and chips to different sandwiches and burgers.

But you're right, they must have some relationship with Russian River because they constantly had Pliny or Blind Pig on tap and also carry bottles of the others like Consecration, Supplication, etc.

8 hours ago, calscuf said:

Kind of off topic but last time I was at Hollingshead, Kenny was letting people buy 6 each of Pliny and Blind Pig.  With my wife I was able to buy a case of 12 each.  

Russian River expanded, so Pliny, and Blind Pig are a little easier to come by now. Hollingshead makes some good sandwiches, but damn it can be an expensive lunch .

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I used to go there a few times a week when I first moved into my office because it was basically across the street and I didn't know the area too well. I liked their pizza the first time, but everything after wasn't good at all and I tried different things there from the fish and chips to different sandwiches and burgers.

But you're right, they must have some relationship with Russian River because they constantly had Pliny or Blind Pig on tap and also carry bottles of the others like Consecration, Supplication, etc.

Bradley's liquor, by the Trader Joe's gets good craft beer.

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

This is a tough one out here as far as can't miss places, but bbq to me is like pizza to where as long as it's not terrible I'll still like it. Off the top of my head that I have liked:

Smoqued in Orange Circle (probably my favorite out here)

Famous Daves in Irvine (it's a chain, but every time I've eaten there is good....but I go to KC a lot and have just accepted bbq out here in CA is just not going to touch it)

KC BBQ is the best I've ever had for sure. I do like Smoqued - good call on that one.

Beachwood in Seal Beach is good, but not great, IMO.

I do like Famous Dave's too.

13 hours ago, Blarg said:

Never heard of those two... will check them out

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I went to Clyde's Hot Chicken in downtown Fullerton today. That's some good hot chicken! I recommend the 'hot as cluck' heat level for a tasty but not over powering kick. 

Nice. I’ll try this when I’m out that way. Recently I’ve been looking for fried chicken or hot chicken joints.

Taco Maria off the 405 and Harbor in Santa Ana/Costa Mesa is supposed to be fantastic, always rated one of the top 5 restaurants in Southern California.

Someone mentioned Stubriks...always good for a steak and they have Chapman Beers on tap. For having so many bars/restaurants...Fullerton tends to be fair to average when it comes to food options...most places are really just waiting until the nightclub crowd.

I'm a big fan of Zait and Zataar off of Brookhurst in the Little Arabia area. Shwarma is top notch and their hummus is amazing. There are other great middle eastern restaurants in that area as well...Haven't been to Kareem's in awhile, but it was always fantastic.

For variety the Anaheim Packing House has some interesting choices, and Unsung Brewery is right across the street. Punjabi, the Indian restaurant across the street is great.