• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole Hamels signs with the Braves (1 year, $18 million)

mmc

Wow did not expect Hamels to get quite that much. Would’ve loved to have had him on that deal but $18m AAV probably tightens things a bit too much for the Halos.

Interestingly, I’ve long figured the Braves would be in hot after Bumgarner - he fit their needs perfectly and grew up a Braves fan as well - they can probably still go after him, but after the relievers, Hamels, d’Arnaud, and continued interest in Donaldson, it could be getting seen as less of a fit financially. To a lesser extent, same applies to Keuchel or Teheran returning. Be interesting to see if the Angels play for Bumgarner now.

Edited by totdprods

Well, if Bumgarner is getting offers north of $100m...that makes him a stretch too, IMO.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Well, if Bumgarner is getting offers north of $100m...that makes him a stretch too, IMO.

emphasis shouldn't be on "100 million" it should be on "likely", which means bob doesn't know jack shit about what offers madbum is getting.

13 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Wonder how Eppler feels about sitting out in the long term deals for pitchers last season because he felt the cost was too high.  Looking like it’ll be significantly higher this year.

Considering how meh the SP options were last offseason, I'm guessing he probably feels pretty good he didn't win the Eovaldi or Happ sweepstakes since he can sign better pitchers this offseason.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

yeah, thats a no from me dog... ill take him off my plan list if thats where those talks are going. 
This market, for all its SP options, is getting stupid paid so far if these rumors are even half true. 

I get everyone saying this guy or that guy is too much or whatever.  Those are all fair assessments of risk mostly.  But I think we are rapidly approaching a point where the year over year of failure to take advantage of Mike Trout is more damaging then any bad contract ever could be.  The Angels can afford to run in the red for a few years while the Pujols and Upton contracts expire.  Arte can afford to lose some money on the team for a long time and still end up coming up way, way in the black whenever he relinquishes control of the team.  I understand the player has to want to play here.  It’s the Angels managements job to compel that with money.  Fucking do it guys. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

And trading guys to get like Robbie Ray or whatever is fine in the short term.  But there’s no way we’re getting any pitcher worth a shit without giving up a lot of young controllable capital.   To me this is a much less desirable route for the health of the organization then just spending too much for a while. 

56 minutes ago, wopphil said:

This is a lot of money for a one year deal. Clearly, pitching is going to be far pricier than I think anyone imagined.

It is also only one year of risk for the Braves, so it makes sense. If he had signed a multi-year deal that AAV would have probably been $16M or so.