• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More crazy trade ideas

TheUPSman

So I've been following Bleacher Report for a while now and the last couple weeks or so they've had and " If I were Billy Eppler" article going with the staff of Halos hangout. Most of the ideas I past off as just silly, or meh wouldn't help the team at all. Part 6 really caught my eye as a couple of these ideas weren't half bad. I'm only posting the trade ideas but will post a link if anyone hasn't seen it and wants to check out the whole article.

ROLLING IN THE DEEP: ADELL FINDS 3 WAYS TO GO CENTRAL

One doesn’t approach the prospect of trading a top-five prospect lightly, so I want to have multiple alternatives at our disposal. I’d like to pitch the kid to several teams, create a little FOMO, and play offers against each other. I’m selecting three teams at crucial turning points in their competitive arcs – either because key franchise players are within two years of free agency, or because they are in a rebuilding phase, and seeking a new nucleus of talent to drive them into contention again.

These three teams – the Cubs, Indians and Tigers – are all Midwestern clubs in their respective league Central Divisions, just a short flight north of Jo Adell’s hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. Each team occupies an urban metro (Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago) that is heavily or majority African-American, indicating a powerful opportunity to build a community and passionate fanbase around a rare young African-American baseball talent who has a knack for capturing the media with key moments. That’s important, because the trades I’m contemplating ask a lot of their respective fanbases, either because a beloved homegrown player is involved, or because a #1 draft pick is included in the trade. Let’s look at the three packages:

Scenario 1:

Trade Jo Adell (OF) and Andrew Heaney (SP) to the Detroit Tigers for Matthew Boyd (SP), Casey Mize (SP) and Joey Wentz (SP)

Net cost to Angels (2020): +$1.4m

Scenario 2:

Trade Jo Adell (OF), Andrew Heaney (SP) and Zack Cozart (SS/3B) to the Chicago Cubs for Kris Bryant (3B), Willson Contreras (C) and Brailyn Marquez (SP)

Net cost to Angels (2020): +$5.3m

Scenario 3:

Trade Jo Adell (OF), Andrew Heaney (SP) and Andrelton Simmons (SS) to the Cleveland Indians for Francisco Lindor (SS), Corey Kluber (SP), Aaron Civale (SP), James Karinchak (RHRP), Daniel Espino (SP)

Net cost to Angels (2020): +$14.7mhttps://www.halosheaven.com/2019/11/18/20965156/if-i-were-billy-eppler-part-vi

Im going to get hammered for this one, but meh... lol
I think some of you are dismissing these a little to quickly.  I dont think any of them happen but this is at least creative and somewhat logical in comparison to most we read.  There isnt a crap ton of money so the option of still going out and getting Cole and others are still on the table.   So im going to play devils advocate here at least in one case... 

Scenario 1 for me is a flat no, wont even bother discussing it.

Scenario 3 feels like quantity over quality though.  Kluber upgrade over Heaney, Lindor might be the one true peer for Simmons,  but the rest is just throwing alot of guys instead of throwing better guys so i dont think it flies unless that was changed.  Its a little too much in Cle favor IMO so it would also be a no.

Scenario 2 however, from an offensive standpoint, its hard to argue.  You plug Bryant and Contreras into our lineup, you still go out and get Cole and Wheeler easily under the tax, in fact probably easily under 200M.
Lineup:  Contreras, Pujols, LaStella, Simmons, Bryant, Upton, Trout, Goodwin, Ohtani (Fletcher super util)
Rotation:  Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Barria, Canning, Pena, Suarez, etc...
Thats not bad at all thats, absolutely a playoff team. 

Bryant has 2 more arb years after this season and Contreras on last year would need to be extended but, its not near as bad as it sounds in my view. 
I do think they would have to step up the pitcher they include in the deal though or take someone less than Heaney.  But, its not a terrible idea especially if you want to win sooner over later.  It solves a lot of problems. 
If there is a deal that you have to at least considering moving him, this one makes some sense.   
Heck you could even bring back Calhoun or go get one of the many good OF FA that are always out there if you dont like Goodwin as the starter,  Gordon, Puig, or many here have long like Castellanos. 

I dont think any of them fly for various reasons but #2 at least has some merit to it on the short term although we might regret it 4, 5 years from now if it doesnt result in some real wins. 

No trading Adell. I'm not enamored with trading Heaney after a down year, but I like all three of the return packages. (Who Wouldn't?)

I also think that they don't need our top prospect to make one of these type deals, and that they could look at getting one of these guys for a deal based around a few prospects.

3 hours ago, TheUPSman said:

So I've been following Bleacher Report for a while now and the last couple weeks or so they've had and " If I were Billy Eppler" article going with the staff of Halos hangout.

You're going to have to be disinfected before returning to this forum.  See @tdawg87 for showering instructions.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I stopped reading the second it drifted into talking about why an African American would be good for marketing to. . .

Sorry, I'm out.  Sick of this crap.  Either we want to be POST racial, or we don’t.

from the board or just this thread?