• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Unfortunately Gerrit Cole's having a great year

Angelsjunky

10 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I honestly think he falls between $25M-$30M/yr. Everyone will be bidding for him. Angels are going up against the Dodgers and Yankees who have money they’d love to splurge with. 
it would be awesome to see him take a hometown discount for $20M-$25M/yr but I doubt that happens.

Keep in mind his agent is Boras.

Unfortunately Boras and hometown discount has never and probably will never be used in the same sentence. The dude will never let that happen, but it sure would be nice. Looks like we may be the deciding factor in this cy young race as we get both Verlander and Cole 1 more time. 

17 minutes ago, TheUPSman said:

Unfortunately Boras and hometown discount has never and probably will never be used in the same sentence. The dude will never let that happen, but it sure would be nice. Looks like we may be the deciding factor in this cy young race as we get both Verlander and Cole 1 more time. 

Jered Weaver disagrees.

58 minutes ago, TheUPSman said:

if the Angels approach Cole in the hopes of getting a hometown discount, they've lost before it's started and I don't think they'll do that.  They'll be one of the top bidders as they'll need to in order to get him.  

people keep using the Scherzer contract as a comp but it's important to understand that at the time, the present value of the contract was 170 mil due to all of the deferred money.  

Here is an article detailing that:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-scherzer-and-when-210-million-isnt-210-million/

and since that time, the market has undoubtedly changed.  

Cole is actually a year younger than Scherzer was when he hit free agency so that has to be taken into consideration.  

taking both of those things into account (Cole's age and the market change), I think 7/175 or so is a pretty good starting point.  I could see the Halos also opting for some deferred money so on the surface we could see a very similar number to what Scherzer got.  

1 minute ago, TroutAdell said:

The problem with signing Cole is Boras’ tendency to stretch out the process. It is hard to wait that long when the team needs multiple arms. 

I seriously expect Eppler to get two starters early on so they have leverage. I could see him signing Odorizzi and then making a trade for a starter and saying "we're comfortable with what we have". 

I mean, everyone knows we are desperate for pitching, especially Boras. He'll play Eppler like a fiddle if he goes hard after Cole.

Mr. Upton and Cole have a collective 14.5 WAR.

iirc, the previous time that two pitchers on the same team put up at least that collective WAR was 2001-2002, when the Big Unit and Bloody Sock put up collectively over an 18 WAR in each of those two seasons.    

Cole has been beyond sick as a disease since May 27.

141.2 innings, 15-0 record, 1.80 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 216/29 Ks/BBs

At home (extreme hitters park) over 81.2 innings in that same time, he's even better.

81.2 innings, 10-0 record, 1.90 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 130/12 Ks/BBs, and only 8 HRs allowed 

30 minutes ago, Bubby said:

One factor I haven't seen mentioned is with Ohtani, the Angels seem set on a six man rotation with everyone pitching once a week. Is Cole, or any other top flight pitcher for that matter, gonna agree to that schedule?

You are only half right.   Shohei would pitch once a week but the other guys would usually go on normal rest.  Not a 6 man rotation but a 5 man rotation where a 6th guy will start during weeks without a day off and such.