• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Patrick Sandoval

Vlad27Trout27

Sandoval has totally outperformed my expectations for him. Due to his control issues, i thought he was spot stater/Bp arm, But this was clearly wrong (good thing ehh!).  Sandoval continues to impress after each start he has made despite his control issues. When he has settled down and his throwing strikes, he hitting between 90-96 on the Fb, While maintain it 92-94 late innings,  shows an plus Change when command is on and two other quality pitches, while his curve is another plus pitch. Biggest concern for Sandoval is his Command, but that is a learning experience.

So with that said, what do you guy project his ceilign to be or has your out looked changed? 

For those that have had the chance to follow him in the minor's, was his stuff this dominating?

Personally watching Sandoval pitch, he does remind be a bit of Robbie Ray, But Ray threw a bit harder.

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Yeah why the hell pull him after 52 pitches? He’s keeping the team in the game and he needs to learn as he goes. Pulling him early isn’t going to do shit.

He threw 122 innings last season and he's over 100 this season so far.

With the amount arm injuries the Angels have dealt with since 2016, seems like the smart thing to do.

8 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Sandoval has totally outperformed my expectations for him. Due to his control issues, i thought he was spot stater/Bp arm, But this was clearly wrong (good thing ehh!).  Sandoval continues to impress after each start he has made despite his control issues. When he has settled down and his throwing strikes, he hitting between 90-96 on the Fb, While maintain it 92-94 late innings,  shows an plus Change when command is on and two other quality pitches, while his curve is another plus pitch. Biggest concern for Sandoval is his Command, but that is a learning experience.

So with that said, what do you guy project his ceilign to be or has your out looked changed? 

For those that have had the chance to follow him in the minor's, was his stuff this dominating?

Personally watching Sandoval pitch, he does remind be a bit of Robbie Ray, But Ray threw a bit harder.

dominating stuff when he's on.  When his stuff is off he'll go 4-5 innings or he'll get slaughtered depending on whether he's missing in or out of the zone.  He'll have years where he functions as a 3 or a good 4.  Probably sometime around age 26/27.   That's the most likely outcome.  

He could suddenly become more consistent with more experience earlier than expected, but he delivery is too tough to maintain for him to become a #2/3 even though his stuff could support it.  At best he learns to ham and egg for 5 innings when he's off and becomes that guy who has a low era but never really gets deep into games.  

He's pretty much Hector Santiago who was actually a pretty solid pitcher for awhile.  

Sandoval also has that thing about him where he seems anxious on the mound and will have to control his emotions.  It seems to work for him better than it did Hector so far.  

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

He threw 122 innings last season and he's over 100 this season so far.

With the amount arm injuries the Angels have dealt with since 2016, seems like the smart thing to do.

is he dealing with some kind of arm issue? is this preemptive? don't recall him being yanked this early previously.

I think he could have gone another inning or two without issue. not real thrilled with this.

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

Gotta give these guys confidence by showing you trust them to go deep.  Save pulling him early for when he gives up a couple runs.

that would do the opposite of giving them confidence.  Tell them before the game that they're going 50-60 pitches and take them out at that mark regardless of their performance because it doesn't matter.  All that matters is keeping them healthy. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

that would do the opposite of giving them confidence.  Tell them before the game that they're going 50-60 pitches and take them out at that mark regardless of their performance because it doesn't matter.  All that matters is keeping them healthy. 

Yep, these games are meaningless in the grand scheme of the season.  Sandoval has a future with the team...let him build himself back up in February after a long winter break.

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

dominating stuff when he's on.  When his stuff is off he'll go 4-5 innings or he'll get slaughtered depending on whether he's missing in or out of the zone.  He'll have years where he functions as a 3 or a good 4.  Probably sometime around age 26/27.   That's the most likely outcome.  

He could suddenly become more consistent with more experience earlier than expected, but he delivery is too tough to maintain for him to become a #2/3 even though his stuff could support it.  At best he learns to ham and egg for 5 innings when he's off and becomes that guy who has a low era but never really gets deep into games.  

He's pretty much Hector Santiago who was actually a pretty solid pitcher for awhile.  

Sandoval also has that thing about him where he seems anxious on the mound and will have to control his emotions.  It seems to work for him better than it did Hector so far.  

I do like that Santiago comp, but i also liek the Ray comp i put for him. Both have control issue, but dominate when they are on. 

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I do like that Santiago comp, but i also liek the Ray comp i put for him. Both have control issue, but dominate when they are on. 

Feels like a good floor/ceiling. I see both. 

I too thought he was more a multi-inning RP/high-lev pen arm - but he's been just consistent and repeatable with mechanics at the big-league level I feel much better about him sticking in the rotation, primarily.

I liked what I've seen of him. So very young, like most of the arms they are promoting so I really can't say what kind of pitcher they will become.

His exposure to MLB hitters in a big league park during the stretch run (even though the Angels are out the competition isn't) is exactly what he needs to be prepared and be useful next season. If we had a healthy rotation Sandoval would only be seeing a couple innings of relief work. This is actually advantageous for both him and the Angels to get him productive innings without stressing going deep into games for a win. 

13 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

He better learn command because as of now he is a disaster waiting to happen. The league always catches up to pitchers that cant locate their pitches. Hope I am wrong. I would like to see him learn a split fastball to have something more 12-6 in movement for right handers (aka Chuck Finley).