• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler should push hard for a trade

Just throwing crazy stuff out there...

Would you consider an Adell+Simmons+SPs deal if it fronted a package for some combo of Syndergaard *and* Wheeler/Stroman/Diaz? Or Thor plus two out of the three? Don’t get the A++ talent you’d expect in dealing Adell, but you get a lot of control and quality, free up money in moving Simmons.

Angels could then pick up Kole’s option, put Rengifo/Fletcher at SS and use a little money towards bench/catcher/lesser arms, or, decline Kole’s option, count on Goodwin/Hermosillo/Lund until Marsh is ready, and use the freed up Simba/Kole/Cahill/Harvey/Allen money to chase one of Rendon - more offense than Simba would ever provide - or Cole to get a crazy rotation, and some dough left for lesser needs.

FWIW, 0% chance I see this happening because it doesn’t really make sense for the Mets, just sort of curious what could pry away Adell/Simmons to some. Well, it is the Mets, so maybe there’s some chance.

Mets get the Top 30 prospect/MLB-ready player they’ve asked for Syndergaard and a SS that helps their 2019-2020 chances still. I’d assume they’d get one of Barria/Suarez to step into rotation with deGrom, Stroman, and Matz and be the cheap, MLB-ready pitching the Mets need now and later. 

Angels get two SPs - Syndergaard and lets say Wheeler and a potential dominant closer, both controlled for the long-haul. Wheeler either re-signs or the Angels let him walk and use the Simba/Kole money on Gerrit Cole or others, or to accommodate for loss of Adell/Simba, sign Rendon for offense and roll with Thor, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Pena.

Edited by totdprods

Mets will be dealing Wheeler (just off the I/R) and Syndergaard now.

they will probably want prospects to replace the ones they lost in recent trades including the two sent to Toronto for Stroman.

pretty good deals for the Mets -- Stroman is not just a rental (I think, not sure). But assuming he's not, they now trade two guys (Wheeler/ Syndergaard) they probably need to move and get top (deadline desperate) value for them to replenish their farm system. Plus - the Mets, surprise, surprise, are actually in the playoff picture.

with the TWO wild cards, seems like everyone is IN.

Wish they would change the two wild card match up to a best of three game series like the College W/S with the first two games at the first wild card team's park and the third game, if needed, at the second wild card team's park.  I don't like the ONE and DONE deal after 162 games.

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

In terms of “upside” both Ward and Thaiss have solidly more upside.  Both *might* be everyday major leaguers.

Honestly, until I see guys like Rojas and Walsh playing everyday for a major league team and rightfully doing so.  They’re both bench players at best to me. 

So far Thaiss, Ward, Rojas and Walsh are all bench players.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Are you allowed to tell us some form of details about that conversation? Would love to hear about it. 

It was off the record so I probably shouldn’t. I shared the basic substance only because I think it’s  no secret that the Angels are a natural fit, so I shared it only to confirm that the assumption is fair and based on more than just a suspicion. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Just throwing crazy stuff out there...

Would you consider an Adell+Simmons+SPs deal if it fronted a package for some combo of Syndergaard *and* Wheeler/Stroman/Diaz? Or Thor plus two out of the three? Don’t get the A++ talent you’d expect in dealing Adell, but you get a lot of control and quality, free up money in moving Simmons.

Angels could then pick up Kole’s option, put Rengifo/Fletcher at SS and use a little money towards bench/catcher/lesser arms, or, decline Kole’s option, count on Goodwin/Hermosillo/Lund until Marsh is ready, and use the freed up Simba/Kole/Cahill/Harvey/Allen money to chase one of Rendon - more offense than Simba would ever provide - or Cole to get a crazy rotation, and some dough left for lesser needs.

FWIW, 0% chance I see this happening because it doesn’t really make sense for the Mets, just sort of curious what could pry away Adell/Simmons to some. Well, it is the Mets, so maybe there’s some chance.

Mets get the Top 30 prospect/MLB-ready player they’ve asked for Syndergaard and a SS that helps their 2019-2020 chances still. I’d assume they’d get one of Barria/Suarez to step into rotation with deGrom, Stroman, and Matz and be the cheap, MLB-ready pitching the Mets need now and later. 

Angels get two SPs - Syndergaard and lets say Wheeler and a potential dominant closer, both controlled for the long-haul. Wheeler either re-signs or the Angels let him walk and use the Simba/Kole money on Gerrit Cole or others, or to accommodate for loss of Adell/Simba, sign Rendon for offense and roll with Thor, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Pena.

Adell and Simmons plus some arms I haven’t heard of for deGrom and Syndergaard probably.  Adell and Simmons for Syndergaard and Wheeler, no.  Especially with Wheeler being a free agent soon.  

Now if the cost is low enough I would consider trading for Wheeler now and try and work an extension like they did with Upton.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Adell and Simmons plus some arms I haven’t heard of for deGrom and Syndergaard probably.  Adell and Simmons for Syndergaard and Wheeler, no.  Especially with Wheeler being a free agent soon.  

Now if the cost is low enough I would consider trading for Wheeler now and try and work an extension like they did with Upton.

bUt wE WoULdNt hAVe nEedED tO PaY hIm sO mUCh

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It was off the record so I probably shouldn’t. I shared the basic substance only because I think it’s  no secret that the Angels are a natural fit, so I shared it only to confirm that the assumption is fair and based on more than just a suspicion. 

Thank you for sharing, Jeff. This is very encouraging. 

Now this may be a dumb question, but would Eppler be aware of this? Obviously he can't talk to Cole about any sort of contract right now, but it would be interesting if he has an idea that Cole would be interested in playing here. 

Regardless, I'd assume the feeling is mutual. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I just whipped it up in the 'Trade Packages' thread, but basically...

Adell, Simmons, Barria, and Jackson for Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Lugo (who's turned into a hell of an arm and would be much more interesting and safer to me than Diaz)

I get that it'd be a lot to sacrifice for only one SP with control, but the money cleared up between Simmons, Cahill, Harvey, Allen, and potentially Calhoun allows the Angels a ton of flexibility in free agency to pursue all sorts of arms and routes. Lugo's inclusion makes a very good pen one that is downright dangerous - and he too could theoretically be worked back into the rotation.

Edited by totdprods

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Now this may be a dumb question, but would Eppler be aware of this? Obviously he can't talk to Cole about any sort of contract right now, but it would be interesting if he has an idea that Cole would be interested in playing here. 

Yeah. I told him about the conversation. 

42 minutes ago, Stradling said:

@totdprods can you do that deal without giving up Adell? Marsh/Thaiss/Jones then Simmons and SPs? If you don’t touch Adell then I’d do it.

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

@totdprods can you do that deal without giving up Adell? Marsh/Thaiss/Jones then Simmons and SPs? If you don’t touch Adell then I’d do it.

If it’s just Syndergaard and Wheeler maybe, but a lot of the attraction to me is also getting Lugo or Diaz - preferably Lugo.

I’d also be considering it with some assumption that Wheeler is a fairly reasonable extension candidate - should the Angels want to re-up. They could also just use that money freed up from Simmons for Cole.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah. I told him about the conversation. 

Ill add something here. Based on experience.

If Cole or anyone else, is willing to talk to Fletcher or a beat writer for ANY team, about being open (translation interested) to coming to a specific team, the team knows...

One thing that i was super curious about when I first ended up where I was (around players) is how many of them know each other. As in, player X and player Y arent from the same school, have never been in the same org... but are super close.

We dont see it as fans, but its a year round profession. Both before and during a the MLB career. So aside from what we see day to day, these guys are crossing paths left and right. Same off season hitting coach....Same trainer....

Same agent....

So when these guys come to town and play each other, or simply on the road in different leagues, theyre talking...

Also, GMs and coaches routinely talk to the team, either individual or as a group, about needs and ideas...

So if player X (Cole or otherwise) is on the teams radar, there are definite conversations throughout the year between the FO and the team about chemistry, and interest. Especially guys who know player X.

So again, if Cole was willing to talk to the beat writer, Fletcher, I guarantee hes made what ever was said known to whoever he knows who is already on the team.

Before anyone gets too pumped, we dont know what exactly he said to Fletcher. And Fletcher (rightfully so) isnt going to tell us. It may have been as simple as "yeah, id play there" (with no "but they better pay the most"). We also have no idea if the FO or team is interested. For all we know, maybe certain guys dont like him?

At any rate, its GREAT news that Cole is not only interested, but interested enough to tell someone from the media...