• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler should push hard for a trade

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

This was my fear... the window moving back, again... and this season has done everything to make that a reality. 

Of course they have to look for players that will help them next year and beyond.  Surely you agree that just a pure rental is dumb. 

You'll know after this offseason whether the Angels are kicking the can down the road or not.  

7 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If the Angels decline to go hard after Garritt Cole this offseason Arte should just sell the team.  I am 100% serious.  You guys that have seen me post here for years know I’m not an “Arte sucks” guy.  

If he’s not about building a champion here then there are better and easier ways for billionaire to make money.  There are other hobbies.  They must throw everything that they can into getting a guy like Cole.  He’s exactly what the team needs.  

I believe that they will.  

I know you aren’t a Arte sucks guy, but be careful what you wish for.

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If the Angels decline to go hard after Garritt Cole this offseason Arte should just sell the team.  I am 100% serious.  You guys that have seen me post here for years know I’m not an “Arte sucks” guy.  

If he’s not about building a champion here then there are better and easier ways for billionaire to make money.  There are other hobbies.  They must throw everything that they can into getting a guy like Cole.  He’s exactly what the team needs.  

I can agree with this. 

I do think they’ll push hard for it. But I see your point.

Yeah when you commit that kind of money to the greatest player of our generation you do whatever it takes to build a championship team while he’s still in his prime. I believe they’re gonna go hard this offseason. Maybe go over the luxury tax!

Its arguable Trout is gonna have his best seasons these next few years so it’s now or never right now.

18 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

But they don't have the same cachet.

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I know you aren’t a Arte sucks guy, but be careful what you wish for.

Ya I mean I think Arte is a good owner.  And I don’t believe he’s going to pull the purse strings shut now that they’re close and Trout is entering his 3-5 prime years.  

Im just saying that if I’m wrong, what’s the point of even owning the team.  

15 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Cahill, Lucroy, Bour have no value at all. Calhoun might but it won’t be much. Goodwin needs to stay if we’re going to decline Calhoun’s option.

I’d say Ward, Jones, Walsh, Bradish, Yan, Castillo, and maybe Barria or Sandoval would be first names to be dealt. Other players might include Adams or Jackson.

Worst case would be Thaiss or Marsh but we’d have to get a solid #2 starter if Marsh is involved. 

What have you seen from Thaiss that doesn’t make him expendable? Pretty easy to replace his production. I would rather see Walsh get an extended look at 1B and see if his power numbers relate to Anaheim. Unless you are getting a piece for 3+ years I would keep Marsh. Simba’s defense is still top notch but he can be expendable with the plethora of middle infielders in the system. Jackson looks like a future power bat. Ward, Thaiss are expendable along with any other AAA players. Also, the PCL is so skewed toward the offense that it is hard to tell who is a prospect and who is not. 

29 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

What have you seen from Thaiss that doesn’t make him expendable? Pretty easy to replace his production. I would rather see Walsh get an extended look at 1B and see if his power numbers relate to Anaheim. Unless you are getting a piece for 3+ years I would keep Marsh. Simba’s defense is still top notch but he can be expendable with the plethora of middle infielders in the system. Jackson looks like a future power bat. Ward, Thaiss are expendable along with any other AAA players. Also, the PCL is so skewed toward the offense that it is hard to tell who is a prospect and who is not. 

I think Thaiss has potentially more upside than Walsh. Although Rojas and Walsh have been great. I’m just suggesting to try and see if we can get a decent #2 or #3 without giving up Marsh or Thaiss. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

This was my fear... the window moving back, again... and this season has done everything to make that a reality. 

Um, the window was always 2020/2021...did you actually think we would be using prospects to grab rentals for this season or have you not been paying attention?

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think Thaiss has potentially more upside than Walsh. Although Rojas and Walsh have been great. I’m just suggesting to try and see if we can get a decent #2 or #3 without giving up Marsh or Thaiss. 

In terms of “upside” both Ward and Thaiss have solidly more upside.  Both *might* be everyday major leaguers.

Honestly, until I see guys like Rojas and Walsh playing everyday for a major league team and rightfully doing so.  They’re both bench players at best to me. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Of course they have to look for players that will help them next year and beyond.  Surely you agree that just a pure rental is dumb. 

You'll know after this offseason whether the Angels are kicking the can down the road or not.  

why does it always come back to a rental... i have never suggested this, ive said many times you dont do this. 
WE cant sign 2 FA starters, not the quality we need, we dont have the funds, one has to be thru trade.  
I had hoped for one now one in the off season.  its possible both could come then of course, but when we one this board start talking about 21, its becomes bothersome.  We seem so ok with just, eating. 

28 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Um, the window was always 2020/2021...did you actually think we would be using prospects to grab rentals for this season or have you not been paying attention?

no i had hoped more like 20 than 21.  Theres a large difference there in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

why does it always come back to a rental... i have never suggested this, ive said many times you dont do this. 
WE cant sign 2 FA starters, not the quality we need, we dont have the funds, one has to be thru trade.  
I had hoped for one now one in the off season.  its possible both could come then of course, but when we one this board start talking about 21, its becomes bothersome.  We seem so ok with just, eating. 

You made it seem like you were talking about a rental. 

I think everyone agrees that they need to trade to get a guy.  And, for the nothing information that we’ve gotten.  Apparently they’re trying.  Who knows though.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t land anyone.  Other then Ohtani (which is a huge win don’t misunderstand), Eppler hasn’t really landed anyone in a competitive market. 

Mainly, they need two REAL starting pitchers (read enough durability and stability) because none of the current starters will be able to pitch 170-180 innings until 2022, at the rate their workloads are proceeding.

If there ever was the right time to bring those two guys in, between now and ST in February is it.

The other pieces are pretty much in place (offense, defense, bullpen, farm).

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Yes..

come on, Jeff. We can agree he grew up here so obviously he likes it here. But what I’m saying is that Trout said he likes work out here without the home distractions. That’s why I’m saying it level the playing field cuz maybe Cole would like the same thing. That’s why maybe we wouldn’t have an upper hand because “it’s his hometown”

but yes, I talked to him...

My point is that my conversation went beyond “hey you’re from OC,” which is why I am confident that he’s interested in playing for the Angels. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

no i had hoped more like 20 than 21.  Theres a large difference there in my opinion. 

We all did, but in reality they are both connected. Again, it hinges on how quicky adell becomes an everyday player, and how quickly ohtani returns to the mound.

Both can happen next year, but 2021 is just as likely. Before that pisses you off, keep in mind both will also be part of the 2022, 2023, 2024 etc teams.

Also, this isnt at you, its for everyone. I think some of you are downplaying skaggs dying.... and its only been about 2 paychecks since it happened.

Skaggs was a pretty freaking important piece of the puzzle. Had we retained him, he was expected to be the #3. Or we could have traded him this week for something probably pretty valuable to the next core group. 

Its not on arte, eppler, or the team that hes no longer here.

The Stroman trade exemplifies the unpredictable nature of the business. Doubtful many, if any had him headed to the Mets. All the weeks of speculation (ultra intense for Jays media and fans) still were caught by surprise. 

Each GM has his own vision and organizational input. And internal pressure and priorities. And often it comes down to some esoteric intangible that is over valued by whoever has the best poker hand. 

Sit back, watch and wait. What the Angels do or don't do will probably beunexpected.