• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So you're telling me there's a chance... Bauer.

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I imagine the 7/$210m that Scherzer got at a similar age is gonna be the comp.

And that's probably the price tag even if he wants to be here.

I don't think he'll get that much because he hasn't been as good as Scherzer.

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

I don't think he'll get that much because he hasn't been as good as Scherzer.

That's not really how this works. Scherzer has been much better with Washington (after he signed his contract) than he was before.

Scherzer with Detroit is actually an amazingly good comp for Cole. Cole's even been a whisker's eyelash better.

MS: 117 ERA+, 3.32 FIP, and 1.197 WHIP

GC: 120 ERA+, 3.14 FIP, and 1.163 WHIP

Both players made the AS game their final 2 seasons before hitting free agency.

Cole is enteringFA a year younger (although it's really only 3 months different).

It's 5 years later and inflation has happened. Although, teams are generally smarter now. I think the MS contract is probably a great starting point for Cole's contract.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Would you rather give up a ton of prospect capital for 8 months of Bauer or just money for 5 years of Cole?

Because you aren’t getting both. 

Im sure you are right, but honestly, why not?  Are we truly to believe this team is financially strapped that it cant approach the luxury tax even if just for a couple years?   We could nearly fit both of them on the current roster and not reach penalty levels.  
You know more than i do obviously, but im really struggling to accept that as fact that this team isnt in a position to spend more if it wanted to for a short period of time. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im sure you are right, but honestly, why not?  Are we truly to believe this team is financially strapped that it cant approach the luxury tax even if just for a couple years?   We could nearly fit both of them on the current roster and not reach penalty levels.  
You know more than i do obviously, but im really struggling to accept that as fact that this team isnt in a position to spend more if it wanted to for a short period of time. 

You can’t get both because they hate each other.  This is well documented.  Why would you want to knowingly do this to a clubhouse.

3 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

You can’t get both because they hate each other.  This is well documented.  Why would you want to knowingly do this to a clubhouse.

There's this great interview clip where a reporter's asking Alex Bregman about Bauer and how they go back and forth on Twitter and Bregman's genial about it until the reporter mentions that he and Bauer are friends or something at which point Bregman's face drops and he goes "We're not friends" and ends the interview. Ballplayers are grown men who can deal with guys they don't like but why expend the prospects required to land a pitcher with exactly 1 great season under his belt if there's any chance he'll give you headaches and hamper your ability to sign additional players? 

45 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Mike Trout is a miracle man. He could reconcile the two old friends.

46 minutes ago, #WeNasty said:

Perhaps, but i dont think thats the reason it was suggested we couldn't do both.  At least i didnt read it that way.  
You may be correct in this point though, but players in many games have come together after spats in the past, its not unreasonable to think they might be capable of behaving like adults.  

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

Perhaps, but i dont think thats the reason it was suggested we couldn't do both.  At least i didnt read it that way.  
You may be correct in this point though, but players in many games have come together after spats in the past, its not unreasonable to think they might be capable of behaving like adults.  

It’s exactly why it was suggested. Fletcher mentioned it last week and again today. 

Eppler has traditionally been good at finding productive pitchers cheaply. 

Bauer and Cole will both be incredibly expensive at some point even if they did get them to play together.

We can, and maybe should, cash in some prospects this month or this winter for an arm. I’m going to put some hope that Eppler can find a long-term controllable arm via trade that has a shot at becoming a high-impact arm now that he has some legit trade ammo to play with. 

I don’t wanna say specifically guys like Dylan Bundy or Matthew Boyd necessarily - they seem too obvious - so I’ll flip around and think they could look at very under-the-radar guys who might become the next Matthew Boyd. Spitballin’, maybe Jack Flaherty, Kyle Freeland, Zac Gallen, Brad Keller, John Means, Luis Perdomo...someone with some untapped potential. Someone like another team’s Jaime Barria, Jose Suarez, Patrick Sandoval, etc., but maybe more realized and tested already.

That way you get someone cheaper with some potential to hopefully go along with a high-salaried arm like Cole, Ryu, Wheeler, Bumgarner, Greinke, Odorizzi, Bauer, whomever else we might acquire who comes with a higher salary. 

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, floplag said:

I don’t think Cole would sign with any team that had Trevor Bauer. 

Obviously teams have players that don’t like each other but generally that’s because they have been put together without their control.  

In this case, Cole is a free agent so he gets to pick. He will have lots of teams that will want him and lots that will want to give him lots of money, so I don’t know why he’d pick one with a guy he hates. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

32 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Obviously teams have players that don’t like each other but generally that’s because they have been put together without their control.  

In this case, Cole is a free agent so he gets to pick. He will have lots of teams that will want him and lots that will want to give him lots of money, so I don’t know why he’d pick one with a guy he hates. 

Very good, my bad i thought you were referring to financial matters.  

59 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

with that being the case, if efforts to sign Cole don't work out for the Angels, then they should target Bauer.

maybe I missed it, but has anyone explained why these two don't like each other? I'm wondering what happened.

50 minutes ago, Tank said:

with that being the case, if efforts to sign Cole don't work out for the Angels, then they should target Bauer.

maybe I missed it, but has anyone explained why these two don't like each other? I'm wondering what happened.

According to Bauer, Cole told him at UCLA that he had no future in baseball. Then again, Bauer had zero friends in high school which is astonishing considering he would have been a star athlete so I think he's just a douche. 

1 hour ago, jessecrall said:

According to Bauer, Cole told him at UCLA that he had no future in baseball. Then again, Bauer had zero friends in high school which is astonishing considering he would have been a star athlete so I think he's just a douche. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/05/24/trevor-bauer-gerrit-cole-ucla-dont-like-each-other/640362002/

10 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Money Quote: "But I can’t tell you I know Bauer. I spoke with Bauer one time, and I said, 'I’ll never do that again. I’m good. I got my fill for a lifetime.'"