• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So you're telling me there's a chance... Bauer.

It’s just hard to imagine the tribe dealing him for anything less then a significant prospect fortune.  Especially with them in decent wild card shape.  

Even if the Angels were interested in getting him, I’m not sure Bauer is the guy I want to cough up all the trade bullets for.  The dude is kind of a weirdo.  He’s good but I wouldn’t say that he’s push the team to the next level good.  I don’t know.  In the hypothetical of the Angels going big after someone i think I’d be more interested in a different target. 

I really believe that Griffin Canning is a really good comp for Bauer.  Except without the stupid baggage. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I like Bauer but I personally feel like he's a bit overrated.  One amazing season.  Several underwhelming albeit solid.  

Here's the big thing I don't like.   This year is pretty much done for this team.  I want to believe otherwise, but realistically, he doesn't do anything for us this year.  So you're basically trading for a rental.  A team that could use him for the rest of this year and next will pay what they pay and we'd have to pony up that same price to get him even though half a year's worth of his value is a waste.  And then you have to pay him FA prices to keep him beyond that 1yr.  

So why not just sign Cole, Bumgarner or Wheeler?  It's a risk that they'll come here but I think it's worth that risk.  Don't give up prospects for a guy you're gonna pay like a free agent anyway.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Baggage? 

Baggage isn’t the right word maybe.  He just seems really abrasive.  He had that weird episode wear he wouldn’t stop going after some random chick because she said he sucked or something.  I mean stupid more then anything.  He swears up and down he’s going to do the one year contract thing.  Which I don’t think is bad.  Probably smart even if he can stay healthy.  But maybe not great for a team looking for a top of the rotation type to rely on  Anyway, the main reason I wonder about trading a lot for him is that I think the Angels could probably target guys that I think are better.  

44 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Baggage isn’t the right word maybe.  He just seems really abrasive.  He had that weird episode wear he wouldn’t stop going after some random chick because she said he sucked or something.  I mean stupid more then anything.  He swears up and down he’s going to do the one year contract thing.  Which I don’t think is bad.  Probably smart even if he can stay healthy.  But maybe not great for a team looking for a top of the rotation type to rely on  Anyway, the main reason I wonder about trading a lot for him is that I think the Angels could probably target guys that I think are better.  

Did you read the article?

13 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

I don't want Bauer specifically, but the BJays looked like idiots when they traded for Tulo, only to end up the best team in the league that year.

Obviously Tulo alone didn't do that, but it's nice to have other things come together while also acquiring a good player (i.e. the anti-Grienke and Upton trades).

they can do that next year.

11 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I don't see us making any big trade, we'll mostly like run the same roster thru the year. I expect us to go after Cole hard in free agency. 

They’re already on the hook to pay 4 players a combined $102M next season. Trout alone gets a $20M raise. Cole will most likely want $20M per (i’m guessing). Eppler has never paid any pitcher a $100M+ contract. He’s also never given any Boras clients a $100M+ contract. Cole looks great but Bauer would actually be more of an Eppler type of acquisition but they’ll have to give up something significant to get it done. 

Edited by Calzone 2

Swing a trade for an arm with at least 2020 controlled, so we don’t wind up skunked in FA going after a pitcher again, be it Cole or otherwise.

Ward’s value will never be higher, as is Rojas and Walsh, Jones has to be added to the 40-man, Thaiss might be expendable, Adell is about to render Hermosillo and possibly Marsh moot, all of the A/A+ arms are playing well enough to be either trade bait now or rotation depth soon, we are about to have a 40-man crunch, we’ve lucked into 2020 depth with Goodwin and La Stella, and we’ll have ample money to play with the winter to fill any positional depth we thin out. One of Barria, Sandoval, or Suarez is expendable if it brings back a known commodity, especially if it’s someone controlled past 2020. 

I really think putting all our hopes on signing Cole is foolish. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s the best move too, and definitely could come true, but the Halos should look at buying another arm now to serve as some sort of safety net. And after what happened in Texas with Skaggs, La Stella, and Lucroy, there’s probably some value in what it could do for clubhouse chemistry and moral. 

Edited by totdprods

7 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

They’re already on the hook to pay 4 players a combined $102M next season. Trout alone gets a $20M raise. Cole will most likely want $20M per (i’m guessing). Eppler has never paid any pitcher a $100M+ contract. He’s also never given any Boras clients a $100M+ contract. Cole looks great but Bauer would actually be more of an Eppler type of acquisition but they’ll have to give up something significant to get it done. 

Trout's already making 36 mil this year -- 16 mil base and 20 mil signing bonus so his money stays the same and it actually drops very slightly in 2021. 

Year Age Tm Salary SrvTm Sources Notes/Other Sources
2012 20 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $492,500 0.083    
2013 21 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $510,000 1.070 contracts  
2014 22 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $1,000,000 2.070 contracts  
2015 23 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim $6,083,000 3.070 contracts  
2016 24 Los Angeles Angels $16,083,000 4.070    
2017 25 Los Angeles Angels $20,083,000 5.070 contracts  
2018 26 Los Angeles Angels $34,083,000 6.070    
2019 27 Los Angeles Angels $36,833,333 7.070    

2020 28 Los Angeles Angels $36,833,334   includes pro-rated share of signing bonus from previous contract
2021 29 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2022 30 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2023 31 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2024 32 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2025 33 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2026 34 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2027 35 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2028 36 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2029 37 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
2030 38 Los Angeles Angels $35,450,000    
  Earliest Free Agent: 2031
Career to date (may be incomplete) $115,167,833 Does not include future salaries ($391.3M)

9 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

And here is the problem, and the curse. 
We are going to have to spend more than the organization wants to spend to take advantage of Trouts prime, its inevitable.   
The popular expression here is that the club when spend when the time is right, but no one seems to know how to qualify that statement.  Here is and easily defined issues though, Trout is in his prime, now... another couple years were looking at the big 30, how long do we wait? 
The kids alone arent going to solve the problems, were going to have to look outside the org to fill in the blanks now we can continue to do that with clean peanuts, or we can take the next step and likely overspend for a few years and be relevant.  At what point does patience become stupidity?

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

We are going to have to spend more than the organization wants to spend to take advantage of Trouts prime, its inevitable.   
The popular expression here is that the club when spend when the time is right, but no one seems to know how to qualify that statement.  Here is and easily defined issues though, Trout is in his prime, now... another couple years were looking at the big 30, how long do we wait? 
The kids alone arent going to solve the problems, were going to have to look outside the org to fill in the blanks now we can continue to do that with clean peanuts, or we can take the next step and likely overspend for a few years and be relevant.  At what point does patience become stupidity?

Those backloaded deals for Upton and Pujols will start to add up. Arte seems to be comfortable with spending $160M - $170M so if they sign Cole for an additional $20M per they will have to spread the remainder of $40M - $50M for the other 20 roster spots. 

30 minutes ago, floplag said:

No one has ever said the kids along would solve the problems.  However the kids alone have basically solved the offensive problems.  The kids alone solve the back half of the rotation.  The kids alone solve having to pay free agent prices to solve holes in those spots.  There is a huge difference between having to go out and sign an ace and sign an ace, a catcher, a third baseman, a second baseman, a first baseman, a left fielder, a right fielder and spots 3-5 in the rotation along with a pen.  

So when is the right time, I’d say pretty much this off season.  Go get your ace and see if you can trade for one more arm.  Then the next big decision is do you give Simmons an extension.  

Bauer is kind of a weird dude.

The one-year contract thing cuts both ways. Obviously Bauer thinks it's to his advantage to renegotiate every year.

On the other hand if we bring him in on a one-year deal and he turns out to be a distraction then he's a free agent.

So I would definitely give him a shot, if we have the chance to get him.

17 hours ago, TroutField said:

I’d do Suarez, Ward, and another prospect in the top 20 for Stroman. 

Same. He loves Trout, maybe an extension would be easy to reach. Based off their efforts pursuing arms last year, I imagine if Eppler trades for a Bauer or a Stroman or someone with only a year or so of control, there will be some understanding that an extension is at least a possibility.

Can't see Eppler rolling the dice with prized prospects for something so risky. He'll only pull the trigger if he feels it'll be worth it in the long run.