• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

EARTHQUAKE

Yeah, earthquakes are fun. I kind of miss it.

For years I felt we were exposed to our property value being crushed by a big quake.

Maybe irrational but I grew up in So. Cal. and lived through all of the big quakes of the last 60 years. All you hear about on TV there is "the big one" etc. Felt like we always dodged the bullet.

I remember one of my neighbors used to say he never paid down his mortgage because if "the big one" hit he would just walk away and let the bank take the hit. Instead of paying down his loan he used the money to take lavish vacations with his wife and kids, and lease expensive cars. Interesting strategy I guess.

We on the other hand, completely paid off our house after 30 years.

Anyway we cashed out of that situation. But I still miss the occasional shaker.

They say that when the San Andreas goes, it will rupture just east of Palm Springs. If a 7.5 were to hit there - about 100 miles away from Orange County - what kind of impact would it have? Would it be worse than Northridge, or similar to the Landers quake in 1992?

There's just no way you're going to get a seismologist to say that there's a bigger earthquake coming.

They'll say "there's a 60 percent chance in the next 30 years that something big will happen" or words to that effect.

But we've been hearing that for 30 years.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, fan_since79 said:

Lucy the Earthquake Lady is briefing the media at Cal Tech. She reminded us that this has been a very quiet time for quakes. The 6.4 today is the biggest one in southern California since 1999. In the previous decade before that there were about eight magnitude 6's. 

I remember two of them that were on the same day in 1992. Landers & Big Bear. Was in Riverside at the time.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Our cat started freaking out after about 20 seconds. It was funny.

Aren't they supposed to start freaking out about 20 seconds before the quake?

49 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I remember two of them that were on the same day in 1992. Landers & Big Bear. Was in Riverside at the time.

June 28, 1992.

I was on the first night of house sitting for a family on their way to Alaska. Second floor bedroom, quake hit just before 5 am. 7.2 in Landers. Scared the crap out of me.

The Big Bear one hit around 10 am and was around 6.5. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

They say that when the San Andreas goes, it will rupture just east of Palm Springs. If a 7.5 were to hit there - about 100 miles away from Orange County - what kind of impact would it have? Would it be worse than Northridge, or similar to the Landers quake in 1992?

Depends on too many factors. 

But forget san andreas. (The fault, not the game. Its a classic). The ones that are going to crush will be the newport-inglewood fault, and the one that runs along malvern in fullerton....

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

Aren't they supposed to start freaking out about 20 seconds before the quake?

Yeah, the two in one day one was crazy. I was a kid but remember it well. One of the only times i ever saw my dad get worked up.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:07 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

This is bullshit. Almost never happens here, now two days in a row.

In all honesty, we should hope for more.... being that they are hitting the desert the worst.

SoCal hasnt had good ones in 20 years.... that will make the next real one even worse.

Edited by ten ocho recon scout