• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four Players with 10+ HR on June 1

The Angels now have four players with double digit HR by the end of June 1: Trout with 14, La Stella and Calhoun with 12 each, and Pujols with 10.

Looking at the last couple decades, they haven't had more than two players with 10+ HR on June since 2004 when they had three. You have to go back to 2000 to find as many or more than 2019: The Angels had five players with 10+ HR on June 1 (Glaus, Vaugh, Salmon, Anderson, Erstad). That was the year they had four players finish with 30+ HR.

By July 1, the Angels could theoretically have six players in double digits, with Lucroy at 7 HR and Goodwin with 6.

1 minute ago, Bumpy Grimes said:

It seems like everyone in baseball has 10+ home runs this season.

Beat me to it. Just mentioning that to a buddy last night. You almost have to look at 30 home runs now like the steroid era. 30 is cool, but 45 is a slugger.

Ball is definitely jumping out this year.

Batting average is dipping. Seems like .240 is the norm. .240 with 25 home run power basically.

Just a bit of research. The median HR total for qualifying batters in 2018 was 20...meaning, 20 HR is now average power for a regular position player...at least last year. I think it might even trend upward a bit this year, but power had already gone up last year. The median SLG in 2018 was .439. So average power is 20 HR, .439 SLG.

This year the median SLG for qualifiers is .462, so it seems to have gone up. For context, five years ago in 2014, the median was 14 HR and .408 SLG.

27 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

We have 78 total team home runs which is very good. The problem is that our pitching has given up 95.

Harvey=11HR

Cahill=16 HR

Stratton=6 HR

Pena=8 HR

Skaggs=8 HR

These pitchers have also combined to pitch only 234 innings out of 513 innings to this point.

Let that sink in............

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just not sure it's a coincidence that after the strike of 94, and fans leave the game behind in droves, that we suddenly have an era of baseball where the most sacred records are being challenged. Suddenly the game is more drama filled and interesting than ever before and the fans return. 

Fast forward to 2017-ish, among an era featuring less offense than ever before, lagging game times, less compelling baseball, attendance for games begins to plummet. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere hitters have suddenly learned to hit the ball further than ever before, even during the steroid era.

Home runs = more butts in seats. 

It all comes down to money. MLB is willing to sacrifice its own statistical legitimacy to remain relevant. They've sold out, and now we live in the juiced-ball era. 30 HR's doesn't mean jack-squat anymore thanks to Manfred, the same idiot that popped off about Mike Trout not doing enough to market himself. 

It's criminal.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just not sure it's a coincidence that after the strike of 94, and fans leave the game behind in droves, that we suddenly have an era of baseball where the most sacred records are being challenged. Suddenly the game is more drama filled and interesting than ever before and the fans return. 

Fast forward to 2017-ish, among an era featuring less offense than ever before, lagging game times, less compelling baseball, attendance for games begins to plummet. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere hitters have suddenly learned to hit the ball further than ever before, even during the steroid era.

It all comes down to money. MLB is willing to sacrifice its own statistical legitimacy to remain relevant. They've sold out, and now we live in the juiced-ball era. 30 HR's doesn't mean jack-squat anymore thanks to Manfred, the same idiot that popped off about Mike Trout not doing enough to market himself. 

It's criminal.

So would a 70hr Mike Trout season ever be taken seriously enough that everyone here jumps in @tdawg87‘s bunk. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's criminal.

I don't think its a conspiracy theory. Im pretty sure fangraphs and 538's research has proven that this is the case. 

33 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think its a conspiracy theory. Im pretty sure fangraphs and 538's research has proven that this is the case. 

In before someone says 538 is fake news because of the 2016 election.

9 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Five Thirty Eight says the balls have changed.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

Interesting, but I don't care.

Unless someone discovers that the balls at Yankee Stadium were made differently than the ones at Petco Park, I don't care.   Even then, I'm not so sure. Unless they switch baseballs every half inning.

A lot of people were/are butthurt over steroids and home run records, but baseball has changed many times in its history.  There are differences in training, ballparks, nutrition, inclusion, lighting, umpiring, the mound, I'd be curious to compare baseballs throughout the decades. I'm sure there are a lot of differences.